Jimmy Mac and Jason Swank host the Collectibles Update from the Behind the Scenes stage at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim. Lucasfilm’s Anita Castellar moderates the panel, featuring new collectibles from eFX Collectibles, Gentle Giant Studios, Tamashii Nations, Kotobukiya, and Sideshow Collectibles.
Legend Edition Busts
– Helmet stands can be turned into busts
– Stormtrooper based on original casting
- Escape Pod
- Y-wing – Gold Leader
- Probe Droid
- Showed a video of the puppet in action mouthing along with dialogue from The Empire Strikes Back (Yoda does not include sounds)
R2-D2 Full-Scale remote-control Droid
Newest member of the high-end Star Wars collectibles community – Bandai’s premium collectibles label. Known for state-of-the-art action figure technology, such as S.H. Figuarts, and using Japan’s top sculpting talent including Takeya Takayuki, who works on the Star Wars Movie Realization line.
Movie Realization Figures
- Samurai General Darth Vader
- “Ashigaru” (foot soldier) Stormtrooper
- “Ashigaru” Sandtrooper
- Drummer, archer, banner-carrying Stormtroopers
- Samurai Imperial Guard
- Samurai General Darth Vader (Death Star Crest Version) – right hand is more robotic
- Boba Fett as Ronin
– A little larger than 12”
– Include bases
- McQuarrie Series – Stormtrooper
- McQuarrie Series – Boba Fett
– Articulated figures
- McQuarrie Series – Darth Vader
- Jawa two-pack – early 2016
- R5-D4 – will have bad motivator when you pull one of his eyes – early 2016
R2-ME2 project – artists from around the world got a blank R2-D2 sixth-scale figure to create artistic interpretations and three booths are on display in the exhibit hall.
- Space Trooper
There’s a lot to celebrate this year – 35th anniversary of ESB, 30th anniversary of Droids, the release of The Force Awakens. Gentle Giant has been working with Lucasfilm since The Phantom Menace in 1999 and created style guide busts for Attack of the Clones in 2001. They became a licensee in 2002 when they released their first mini-bust, Mace Windu, and have been expanding their line since then, including Bust-Ups, McQuarrie concept busts, Jumbo Kenner-inspired figures, and more.
Premier Guild 2015 Mini-busts
- Emperor Palpatine (The Empire Strikes Back) – was originally going to be holographic but it looked so great they decided to paint it
- Biker Scout – includes long rifle
- Commander Faie – deluxe mini-bust, includes cloak up and down
- General Pharl McQuarrie – Celebration exclusive to tie up McQuarrie Concept line
1/6 scale statue
- Zam Wesell
Jumbo Kenner-Inspired Figures
- Jabba the Hutt
- Villain Set – Stormtrooper, Darth Vader, Death Squad Commander
- Droids C-3PO – includes coin
- Droids R2-D2 with pop-up lightsaber – San Diego Comic-Con 2015 exclusive
Life-Size Kenner Monument
– One-seventh scale collectible statue
- Darth Vader (A New Hope) – possibilities include illumination in the base as well as a speaker with breathing/phrases
– One-tenth scale collectible statue with magnets in feet and magnetic base
- Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia (A New Hope) – arriving in May, complements Han Solo and Chewbacca release and can add R2-D2 and C-3PO
- R3-A2 and K-3PO – Celebration Anaheim exclusive, includes collector coin
- Astromech droids collection variations – R4 and R5 units follow the release of the R3 units, will include collector coin
- Snowtrooper 2-pack – available October 2015. Interchangeable parts – gun held with both hands in guard position, gun held in attack position, gun held in one hand with the other arm posing. Going up for pre-order the end of this or next week, SRP $84.99.
- AT-AT Driver – available November 2015. Interchangeable parts include pose with gun, hands behind back, pulling on gloves
Commemorative catalog includes entire history of Star Wars product
Dengar pin available as part of Celebration Anaheim pin program
- Will Gentle Giant recreate all of Kenner’s line in the Jumbo scale? They’re doing the “best of” at this point. Send suggestions to them on Facebook.
- Will there be more Legends/Expanded Universe products? Anita says they’re celebrating the legacy and lore, and currently they’re celebrating The Force Awakens and the classic saga. They’ll take it one at a time and move forward as appropriate.
- Will eFX make props from the new movie? Lucasfilm wants to maintain the “secret box” mentality of the film, so they will reveal in time and maintain surprises.
- Will Sideshow expand the Mythos line? Not currently. They are directing that attention to the McQuarrie line at the moment.
- Will Premium Format Vader include lights? Vader and Boba are on display in the booth. They have intentions to include lights, but cannot confirm at this time.
- Will Tamashii Nations’ Monster Arts line include creatures such at Krayt dragon or bantha? They’re discussing what they will do beyond Godzilla and will take notes.
- Sideshow has a great relationship with Hot Toys – they’ve never battled each other. They’ve done many figures previously and they now have the opportunity to do those figures.
- Will eFX make more of the Red Five X-wing pilot helmet? They have no plans to remake them due to the limited editions. The Wedge helmet is still available and they’re looking at other pilot options.
Check out our Star Wars Celebration Photo Gallery of the panel and all the collectibles.