2010 World Cup

DarthQuack

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 25, 2004
Albany
I know I'm not the only one interested in this.....hopefully.:rolleyes:

The draw was today and the USA got a great draw, with England, Slovenia and Algeria in their group. Hopefully they should be able to advance to the knockout stage.

Here's a good place to go to see the draw and matchups. :thumbsup:

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
Yeah, it's a great group to be in because I think England is really overrated and I'd love to beat them. I know CONCACAF has some patsies but it seems like England qualified against some of Europe's least threatening teams. Now I just have to wait like 180 days.

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
Who's awesome: Spain, Brasil, Netherlands, Italy and Portugal

Who's good:Germany, France, Argentina, England, Cameroon, Greece, United States, Mexico, Cote d'Ivoire, Chile, Switzerland and Uruguay

Who's pretty good: Serbia, Australia, Nigeria, Denmark, Algeria, Paraguay, Slovenia, Slovakia, Ghana, Honduras and Japan

Who's there by default: South Korea, New Zealand, North Korean and South Africa

DarthQuack

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 25, 2004
Albany
Less than 24 hours away from when most billions of people on the planet will all start to root on their countries towards the World Cup.

I personally can't wait. :) Really looking forward to the USA vs England match on Saturday.

Here's a bracket for those wanting to keep track of things over the course of a month of futbol.

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
I'm really looking forward to Saturday. I've got a group taking over an entire restaurant for the match against England. It's gonna be a blast. I hate Wayne Rooney so beating England would be fun on like, a dozen levels.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
I'm so excited. I'll be broadcasting the games in my classroom tomorrow. The kids know where to go every four years. It's the last week of school anyhow. Both games tomorrow should be interesting and heated. The big one of the weekend is USA vs ENG. I truly think USA has a better chance to win it than many give them credit for.

DarthQuack

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 25, 2004
Albany
Was Greece the favorite in this? I was kind of surprised to see S. Korea take them down...Power was out since last night :( So I just caught the 2nd half of Argentina/Germany.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
When watching in England goalkeeper mishandle the eventual goal by Dempsey, my friend said it was a good we learn to use our hands in the USA. That tie allows the US to maybe win their group and avoid potentially playing Germany in the next round.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Maradona said:
That tie allows the US to maybe win their group and avoid potentially playing Germany in the next round.
Heard on the radio that when the group was announced, a British paper headline read: "EASY: England, Algeria, Slovenia, Yanks;" clever. But the draw helps both those teams now. How do they handle tie-breakers if every game is a draw, with the same goals (or lack thereof) scored each time? Alphabetical? (that stinks for USA and Slovenia then :rolleyes: )

And, by your user name, may I assume you might root for Argentina and its coach?

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
Okay, so if it's all draws (which it won't be because Slovenia has won, which is good for the US) the tie breaker is goal differential. Because all the games in this hypothetical are ties the goal differential for every team is 0. So it then goes to goals scored. That could produce the top two teams but they would likely have the same goals differential and so it would go to goals against. As long as all of the draws don't have the same score then this should produce the winner and second place teams.

But if all of the games in the group tie 1-1 then, I kid you not, I believe it goes to a coin toss. They pair England and the US and toss a coin, then Slovenia and Algeria and flip a coin.

But, since Slovenia has won they lead the group and it cannot be all draws. It the US can beat the too weaker teams in the group they are guaranteed to advance. Because England picked up so many yellows in the first match, they are going to have to be careful because those do accumulate in the group stage and so they may have to play without some of their players in the latter games in the the stage.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
And, by your user name, may I assume you might root for Argentina and its coach?
I root for creative football, which, when they want to, Argentina can play. I respect the TRUE Maradona's on field performance, but cannot get behind anything else related to him, coaching included. It would be quite a story if he could coax his team to victory.