2010 World Cup

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Are you going to see if you can attend a match? I know the two country's aren't THAT close, depending on where you are in Argentina, but certainly closer than USA-to-Brazil. That'd be cool!
I'm too far and it's too expensive. I'm near the Andes. We hiked up the foothills yesterday and I had a total Misty Mountains moment when I saw a flock of birds: "Spies from Saruman!" No one knew what I was talking about.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
I'm too far and it's too expensive. I'm near the Andes. We hiked up the foothills yesterday and I had a total Misty Mountains moment when I saw a flock of birds: "Spies from Saruman!" No one knew what I was talking about.
Both sorry to hear about that and cool to hear that at the same time!

I climbed to the top of Texas' highest peak and made the comment once the group I was hiking with stopped for a food break, "For the Jedi it is time to eat as well." Also got no recognition (okay, so we weren't in a swamp... :rolleyes: ).

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Today's US/Portugal match for me:
1. U-S-A! U-S-A!
2. Oh no!
3. Okay...
4. Woo hoo!
5. YEAH! U-S-A! U-S-A!
6. Oh no!
7. Okay?

Now, go and earn your knockout round advancement Thursday, Team USA! :thumbsup:

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
The USA can advance even with a loss on Germany, one I don't think will come. Both teams advance with a tie; both have some worn out players. Germany will likely rest at least a few of its players and that combined with a far less heated need for victory will allow the game to be less physically contested. The current US coach is the former German coach and the current German coach is his close friend and former assistant. It would be very sportsmanlike to think that they haven't communicated since last December when the groups were first formed about all these possibilities.

On a side note, how clutch is Clint Dempsey? The man needs to be given an honorary VAMP by the military. (On a toy site, I predict several people will catch that reference.)

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Some bitingly classic moments today. Actually, there was just one. FIFA needs to come down hard on this, but if their past is prologue, they will not.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Maradona, your namesake's team looks strong. Goals answered soon after Nigeria scored today; wow.

Estados Unidos y Alemania en Jueves! E-U-A! E-U-A! (been watching Telemundo stations more this week)

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Messi's team looked a bit better today, but it is all Messi. The only other time I can remember that a team in this tournament was completely carried by one player was when my namesake lifted the Cup 28 years ago. It's tempting to believe that's possible for Messi, a player who deserves it, but the reality is that this era of sports requires more team than individual. There are too many variables at play to think that one individual can save a team for seven straight games.

And tomorrow morning, I will watch the valiant US team play the arrogant international team representing Germany on ESPN. I can't stand the Mexico-centric commentary on Univision. They are extremely biased.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Didn't see any of the Mexico/Nederlands game live; still a tough way to end. Germany waited quite some time to score. Was rooting for Greece, but Costa Rica was fighting strong, too.

Last four Round of 16 teams playing tomorrow, one with the abbreviation E.E.U.U. on Univision; sounds like eewwwww... Belgians. Go-go USA!

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
The Algerians played their hearts out today. It was a punishing loss, but a valiant performance. The Mexico/Holland match was the latest to elicit the following traditional comment from one Mexican commentator (translated for those not versed in Spanish): "We played like we never have; we lost like we always do." The Costa Rica match was grueling. It must have been a tortuous match to play. Nigeria also played well in defeat. Brazil, despite being the host and being Brazil, deserved to lose. Chile outplayed them and only lost by hitting the post twice, once in the waning moments of the extra time and finally in the last penalty kick. Colombia, out of all the teams in the quarterfinals so far, has looked best. Their form should overcome Brazil's, but I'm convinced the fix is in for them to win the tournament to quell the country's protests at the vast expenditures made to host the event.

The land of waffles, chocolate, and pomme frites provides a beatable opponent for Team USA tomorrow. I plan to celebrate the USA triumph by eating said pomme frites tomorrow evening.

Oh, and hopefully Messi continues scoring and winning.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Tim Howard turned in the greatest performance by a goaltender in a World Cup in 50 years with 16 saves. The Belgians fired 39 shots and 18 were on target. Howard's performance earned him player of the game, despite the loss. He was marvelous, but unfortunately he can't do the scoring, too. We wasted so many chances to put the game away and later to tie it. It was so frustrating...

And though he didn't score this time, Messi hurled his magic again by threading an incredible pass in the waning moment and a half of extra time to beat a stingy Swiss team.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Tim Howard turned in the greatest performance by a goaltender in a World Cup in 50 years with 16 saves. The Belgians fired 39 shots and 18 were on target. Howard's performance earned him player of the game, despite the loss. He was marvelous, but unfortunately he can't do the scoring, too. We wasted so many chances to put the game away and later to tie it. It was so frustrating.
Amazing Howard work the entire game. Well, I thought maybe with that late extra-time goal that SOMEHOW the USA could just get it to PKs. They had a couple shots. So close... :(

I noticed in the earlier game that the Swiss goalkeeper took a shot on goal or two (like a pulled goalie in hockey), with no players behind the midfield line.

And now, the "World" Cup is just Europe and South America left.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
You know it's danger time when the opposing team's goalie is playing with the forwards. And yes, Europe and South America, along with Costa Rica are still in it. Costa Rica is the Cinderella team of this tournament so far. I'll be rooting for them against the Orange Machine of Holland.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
I think he hurt his back more from a fall he gave himself in the previous match where he threw himself in the air after a slight touch and landed very awkwardly. This one did not seem so severe. It's never good to win because the other team had an injured star.

Of the three games in the quarterfinals so far, each team that advanced did so doing just enough to win and not really exerting themselves. I saw a lot of similarity to the way Germany, Brazil, and Argentina took early leads and just managed to ice the game going forward. Messi uncharacteristically missed a late opportunity to flatten the Beligians with a breakaway. I'm very happy for him getting to the final four and hope he can continue to win. Now hopefully Costa Rica can upset the Dutch Oranje.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Heart stopping penalty shootout today. I was riveted to this chess match of a game between the team who were so careful not to get Braziled by the other. I wonder how much is left in the tank for the Argentines against the mighty German machine.