2010 World Cup

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Well, yesterday was a challenge. I'm at a weeklong workshop, so I could not watch the games (as is my fate this week), but I got a chance to see the final half an hour of the Argentina-Nigeria match - and saw my namesake go bonkers as a result. I expected Messi's team to falter again, though I hoped he would get an opportunity to share some of his brilliance - he did. Saw the replay of his goal and it was sublime. Fingers crossed that he and the team can pull it together. Go Mexico and Korea today!

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
What a game by the Koreans yesterday! The third straight champion to go out before the knock out round with fourth of the past five champions having suffered similar fates. On paper, England v Belgium should be fantastic, but I suspect both teams will have a relaxed matchup more akin to a friendly practice than a battle. Hopefully, Japan keeps their momentum going. They're the final Asian team left and Senegal, who also play today, are the last African team left in the tournament.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
This year's tournament reminds me of NFL television in the post-LA Raiders/pre-LA Chargers era: with no "local" team there (USA), you can see amazing matches from other countries, if you take the time to do so. I will admit I'm not the biggest soccer fan, but I appreciate good play. I'm not sure who I'd support once the knockout rounds commence (maybe Belgium? Argentina? England?).

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Well, Messi crashed out of another World Cup his teammates couldn't rise up to in a 4-3 slugfest to a speedy France team. I hope he comes back for a fifth Cup in four years. He'll be 35 and become the only outfield player to play in five WC tournaments. He's already the only player to score WC goals in his teens, twenties, and thirties. Fingers crossed he returns.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I only saw the first half, where France was up 2-1; the scoring doubled in the second. Congrats to the Tri Color, but also to Croatia on its strongest showing ever. Oh, and Belgium won (but I am tired of hearing the "why do they even play this game that nobody cares about?" whining).

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
The #1 ranked USA women's team won today... by an American football-sounding score of 13-0!?! Local player Alex Morgan had a hat trick... plus 2/3 of another hat (5 total goals), and 2 other players had 2 goals each; 7 different players scored! Wow! (I felt bad for Thailand after a while, though)

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
The USWNT dominated that first match in a way I have not seen ANY team dominate in any sport at the world stage before. It might have been 20-0 if they had hit the accelerator a bit more.

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
I was pretty embarrassed by the team's behavior on the whole during that rout of Thailand. While arguments can be made for not letting up (mainly goal differential and "respect" for the other team) I don't think there is any excuse for the excessive celebrations after the fifth or so goal. Act like you've been there before: high five your teammates and jog back to center field. Rapinoe's victory lap and sideline slide after scoring the ninth goal in the 79th minute was perhaps the worst example of poor sportsmanship I've ever seen from a US soccer team.

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
Surprise! The US wins the FIFA Women's World Cup 2019 TM !
I wouldn't say they ran away with the tournament; games against England and France were hard-fought and maybe on another day could have gone the other way. But you're right, in the end, there is a large gap between the USWNT and the rest of the pack which is sad, as it speaks to the disparity of opportunity in the women's game on a global scale. Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/06/06/womens-world-cup-opens-talent-is-blooming-frustration-is-bubbling/?utm_term=.bbcfca769b15

In the end, I'm happy for the team and (mostly) enjoyed watching them make their run to a second straight title. Given the turnover on the roster that we can expect between now and 2023 as well as the competitive advantage ebbing, the next tournament is gonna be a great watch.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I enjoyed the matches; I wasn't completely insulted by the 13-0 thrashing celebrations, but I didn't think the ones after about 8-0 should've been SO demonstrative.

Has it always been (recently, at least) a 24-nation tournament? I thought the women also had 32. And how did Rapinoe get the Golden Boot with less assists than Morgan or White, who also had 6 goals each?

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
It has not always been 24, in fact, they just expanded the field from 16 teams in 2015. To my knowledge, the tournament has never featured 32 teams, I just don't know that there are 32 teams that could compete at this level.

Rapino got the boot because of the second tiebreaker; first is assists but Rapino and Morgan were tied there and second is minutes played. Because Rapino scored her goals in fewer minutes played, she got the boot. Personally, I feel like you can just have a tie, it's not like it's hard to have an extra trophy ready to go and if you can't live with a tie, maybe discount goals scored on PKs since half of Rapino's goals came from the spot while I think all of Morgan's came in the run of play.