2019 NY Toy Fair Reveals

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
So this is where we are: the most interesting thing about Star Wars at Toy Fair is the return of the original Kenner style figures. After several years of nearly every other property getting figures in this style, Hasbro finally figures it out. I hope these do well and that we get the ENTIRE 90+ figures released - though I suspect we'll be getting both prequel and sequel trilogy figures released before all the original run figures come out.

The value of nostalgia cannot be underestimated.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
You mean "figure it out again" since they did this already back in '95 and nobody cared.

I think those intentionally-weathered cards are going to undermine this line's reach.

Ultimately, this feels like a years-late response to Super7's ReAction line, and I do wonder if the demand will be here. I suspect there will be interest in main characters and notable aliens, but not in the breadth of the original Kenner line.

Droid

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 21, 2003
I am looking at the Tarkin, and I just don't think it looks Vintage. It looks to me like kind of a cartoon modern figure. I think they are trying to make it look like Peter Cushing. I think they should have tried to make it look like what an A New Hope figure looked like in the '70's. They captured the essence of what the character was, not what the actor looked like. Luke looked like blond guy. Han looked like black haired guy. Leia looked like person with bun hair. Ben looked like an older guy with gray hair and a beard. I think Tarkin should look like old guy without beard.

Reactions: JediTricks

Droid

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 21, 2003
I am on the fence about the Jabba's Palace playset. I don't need the figures. I don't remember the creature that wasn't a Tauntaun and can't find a picture of what it should look like. The area by Han in carbonite was clearly red and they didn't try to match the color at all. But, my Jabba's palace diorama always looks like a bunch of figures on a shelf. I don't like the old carboard diorama. It looks cheap and small. So I might have to pick one of these up if I ever find it.

I am of course annoyed the skiff guard three pack doesn't include Taym (who shot Luke), or at least someone in his outfit if the face likeness is a rights issue.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Tarkin being exclusive to a board game nobody actually wants that's also exclusive to Target seems like a dubious choice. Remember back when they put figures with board games, and the board games went on clearance? Stop trying to upsell, Hasbro.

Hasbro claims these Kenner-style figs are all-new sculpts and slightly larger, whereas the previous figures made with stereo-lithography were slightly smaller than the originals due to the lithography process.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Those 4 figures in '95 (Han? Chewie? Vader? Luke? can't recall now; won't verify in a simple online search :p ) were so close to the originals, that I wonder if some collectors were wary if they were buying real vintage figs in their future purchases. So, a "slightly larger" figure's a good idea. In the same style is also good, and "all-new sculpts" could mean more money, more mon-ey for them.

Mad Slanted Powers

Jedi Commander
May 20, 2002
Bellingham, WA
www.madslantedpowers.com
I might get these. I’ll even get the board game, especially since I’ve been getting into the board game hobby lately. Speaking of which, I should get out the old Escape The Death Star Game that came with Luke as Stormtrooper and Vader with removable dome. I have never played it.

Droid

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 21, 2003
I never played the game that came with the Rowrr Wookiee figure either.

Mad Slanted Powers

Jedi Commander
May 20, 2002
Bellingham, WA
www.madslantedpowers.com
The Target app was showing the board game as in stock, so I went there today. I couldn’t find it in the Star Wars section or the board game section. I asked someone, but he didn’t know where the indicated aisle was. We looked at the one section in the middle of the store that has highlighted items. He finally got someone else to find it, and it was in kind of an odd spot in men’s clothing or accessories. Haven’t opened it yet, but I will soon.