A Tycho's Health Update

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
BobaFrett's right. The surgery was postponed until Thursday at 3:30pm. It's going to suck because I have to not eat from midnight on! By the time the op's over, it will be 4:30, and I'll be waking up even later than that! Michelle's taking off of work to take care of me - a good part of all of this, though if I wake up hungry, I am not going to be pleasant to be around until I have a hamburger!

Since it hurts me, I wonder if I have Saurins there? I could use at least 6 more (Hrchek kal Fas) and HTS's been out and I haven't gone into the stores hunting, though I'm hearing I probably should now that folks are finding the new ESB wave! But I won't be able to drive for a little bit after surgery.

Thanks for helping me be brave JabbaJohn. You've really been a trooper around these boards for a long time now!

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Jeez, that is an unhealthy amount of time to go without nutrition, only to then have to recover from surgery. I wonder if your doc would allow you a Nepro or an Ensure anytime up to 8 hours before the surgery, the concern with food & anesthesia is vomiting but that's a LONG time to go without. At the very least, maybe they could get you a banana-bag or other IV nutrients when you go into the hospital before surgery.

You'll be ok though, it's a fairly routine surgery for them from what you told me, right? And your googly-eyed Saurins will still be out there when you're up and around. Speaking of which, when will you be able to do normal stuff like go to Target?

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
Speaking of which, when will you be able to do normal stuff like go to Target?
Oh - any time I'm motivated to - which I'm less inclined for these days because of holiday shopping anyway.

Of the new ESB wave, I only want:

2 black Bespin Guards
8 or so Ice Cream Maker Guys (background use everywhere)
1 R2-X2 if I don't already have that droid from an EE exclusive set or something

I still want 6 more Saurins (Hrchek Kal Fas)

I think Hasbro Toy Shop will take care of it just fine most likely.

I'll get 1 alien Utriss M'Toc Bespin Guard later when that figure's released.

I'm not sure what else there is to go to the store for.

Maybe finding nothing I want there would be fun on strong pain medication, but the consequences of driving over there (even if Target is only 1 block) aren't really worth it.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
looking at what you bought in a drug induced state may not be as much fun
I didn't get that. Any Star Wars I buy should be fun, right?

I don't know if I'll shop right after surgery, though I had to get my Aayla Secura from SideShow that one day...

In any event, I already have a list I just go off of.

In another note, at a special Awards Luncheon, I had the tapes of me batting reviewed by SAN DIEGO PADRES manager Jed Hoyer! A lot of the team was there, and I met with Head Coach Bud Black. Some of the players I've known for longer and I spent most of my time visiting with 3rd base Kevin Kouzmanoff. Heath Bell, Tony Gwynn, Jr, Kevin Correia, and Kyle Blanks were there, too! David Eckstein and Adrian Gonzalez couldn't make it.

I met with Glenn Hoffman, of Trevor's immediate family and he asked for my contact information to pass along to Trevor and relate to him my kidney transplant situation. I told him I'd love for the now-Milwaukee-Brewer Hoffman to have BobaFrett as his guest if Barry can make it up to a Milwaukee homegame. Hoffman likes the Cubs too, Barry. His eyes lit up when he was talking about Chicago, though I must confess I'm not aware why (no diss on the Cubs intended - what I mean is I don't know if the older Hoffman ever played for Chicago or something of that nature). Hoffman (1st base coach) asked me if I were a Cubs fan, too. I told him I finished high school out there in the suburbs of Chicago, but that Barry was the true fan. Anyway, my next attempt to get in contact with Trevor has been made.

(For those who don't know yet, All-Star Greatest Saves Pitcher Trevor Hoffman has lived his entire life with 1 kidney, his other being removed when he was only 11 years old. I think his story helped BobaFrett here know that he could live life normally with only 1, making it safe for him to be my living donor. Now with each of us only having one kidney, Barry and I have to figure out how to also get into Major League Baseball's Hall of Fame.)

Anyway, I'll probably post the pictures in the "beisbol" thread in General Discussion, as I shot them but am not in any of them. I didn't want to bother Kouzmanoff or anyone else to take pictures. We were having lunch and talking.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
2-1B said:
How did they end up inside of you? :shocked:
El Chuxter said:
Boss Nass was in your hernia with OOM-9? Holy crap, that must've hurt!
Oops, poor phrasing on my part . . . but the worst part was when Boss Nass started doing his tourette's routine; there was just slobber everywhere. :dead:

Tycho said:
1 R2-X2 if I don't already have that droid from an EE exclusive set or something
The black-and-white R2-X2 was released in the EE set, but this is a repaint to make the black parts olive green, since he looked black at the briefing but was actually olive green as seen in the hangar.

Darth Jax

Jedi Apprentice
Maybe finding nothing I want there would be fun on strong pain medication, but the consequences of driving over there (even if Target is only 1 block) aren't really worth it.
I didn't get that. Any Star Wars I buy should be fun, right?
finding/buying star wars is always good. but if you can't find anything you want, you may be disappointed once you come off the drug high and realize what it was you actually purchased.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I just talked to Josh, he's out of surgery and now awake. Everything seems to have gone quite well, and in a little while he will be able to eat food.

Of course, just before he hit the hospital, he did a figure hunt and found a few. :p

bobafrett

Jedi Commander
Well, it has been one year since I was just getting up, getting ready to go to Scripps green hospital to help a friend. As I write this, I think back to that morning, remembering how early it was, wondering if I'd find my way to the place okay. The prep work, as they fit me in my hospital dressings. It's hard to believe how quickly time flew since then. What a good friend I have in Josh.

And now for something completely different, it's Jedi Josh, and Stormtrooper Barry!

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
Yeah, funny. Barry's smiling because he's going to "Order-66 me!"

Actually, I just phoned you 'Frett. Today is the anniversary of the day 'Frett saved my life!

I am so grateful - there's nothing I can post here to express it. But trust me.

Actually tomorrow, is my 1 year anniversary check-up to find out how everything's been going.

What I can tell you: I gained a little weight - less than 10 lbs and I'm eating better and working it off. I think it's all gone now and all my pants fit me.

I get a little colder now - but it is winter. I like it 77 instead of 75 - but that could just mean that my heater isn't reading the temp right. When I was badly anaemic, I liked the temp 85! Everyone who's stayed with me for Comic Con or whatnot can attest to that and remember those days: having you over for dinner meant cooking YOU for dinner! Not any more. 2 degrees and 3lbs are probably not cause for alarm, but we'll see what the rest results are.

I'll know some immediately tomorrow. The biopsy results I may have to wait a week for as some tissue is sent out to a specialty lab.

I was actually going to post in this thread when I logged on this morning.

I think Barry and I might have also shared a brain. I bought a stormtrooper armor hoodie from Ecko (and got Barry a matching one). Now if he has any sudden urges to find his Mouse Droids (packed in with Death Star Droids and R4-M9's just for quick reference Barry :thumbsup: ) we can suspect with more certainty.

Anyway, I truly cannot be greatful enough.

'Frett, I'll speak with you later on today I'm sure. That will be me you hear wearing down the battery on your phone. :D

Catch up with you here or there, somewhere. Talk to you soon.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Wow, hard to believe it's been a whole year!!! So, how has a year with only 1 kidney been to you, Barry? I hope well. I know they have been for the other guy who ended up with your kidney, ol' whatshisname. ;)

Slicker

Jedi Commander
May 18, 2004
Planet Karpton
www.myspace.com
Actually, I just phoned you 'Frett. Today is the anniversary of the day 'Frett saved my life!
Speakin' of calls I tried to call you Josh on your cell but nobody answered. Oh, well. Maybe next time.

It's tought to believe it's been a year already! It doesn't even seem like it's been a year since I first met Josh but it's over a year and a half since that. I still have to see the after Josh since I've already seen the before. I'll drink one (or a few more than that) to your health fella. :thumbsup:

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
Thanks Nick. I was in the hospital for the better part of the day today and there's no reception in some areas - especially where I was having my check-up. You can try tomorrow - especially in California's evening hours as tomorrow I'm finally getting out with a friend who has been very busy and we're seeing Avatar during the day (hopefully). It would be my second time. (Excellent movie!) This guy is a dad and works and helps his wife with their twins, so he has to arrange for a babysitter and all that good stuff, so he has never seen the movie.

The good news is the bloodwork suggests I am doing excellent and am a model patient 1 year after transplant. (Thank you BobaFrett!)

I have to wait for the news from the biopsy results until tomorrow or next week, but my doctors seemed to suggest that with my labwork being excellent, it is almost a slam-dunk that my new kidney is doing just fine. I take very good care of myself because a second chance like this is a rare find!

I am being almost discharged from my transplant hospital and will see the transplant team's nephrologist quarterly for check-ups. That and I'm slowly transitioning back to my old kidney doctor (also a Scripps doctor at the hospital down the road from the one where I had my transplant). There I'll see him quarterly as well - but alternate months from the ones where I see the transplant team's people.

So probably 8 regularly scheduled doctor visits planned for the year. Pretty awesome considering how I started off going nearly every other day in previous years.

Also I will still be going to the hospital as a volunteer, since I feel I have to give back to the world for this gift of life I got, and I continue to work with other kidney patients and help counsel them through the stages to their recovery - especially picking them up when they first learn of their dilemma and need someone to talk to that's been through it. I now have volunteered with nearly 20 patients!

(Eventually, I will have my master's degree in social work and probably do this for my career - at the same hospital. They like me.)

Meanwhile, my novel has turned a huge page towards another success story - but that's for another thread.

bobafrett

Jedi Commander
Josh, that's great news! Jamie (my coordinator before the surgery) called and asked if I had gone in for my 1 year follow up. I told her I hadn't recieved any paperwork to let me know what tests they wanted me to get done. She is sending out the paperwork again, and she wished me a happy anniversary on the one year since this event happened.

You are one of the nicest guys I know, and you have become a great friend. Plus I got to see California, which was awesome. We don't have palm trees here.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
'FRETT: You have a free trip back to California any time you want it. Let me know. But I recommend coming for Comic Con, though I'll need to pull in a favor to get you in now because they are sold out.

Or instead, you can have a trip to Florida for Celebration 5. No worries about getting tickets or a hotel or anything. I already covered all that for myself and I can take you if it can work out.

Either place has palm trees ;)

(And yes, you can wait a year and take me up on my offer for Comic Con 2011 if you prefer. I don't know if they'll have a Celebration 6. Also you can come to SD any other time. There doesn't have to be a convention.)

Meanwhile, my reasoning is that we can hang out with a lot of other folks from the site here if we could plan a trip together during a convention. Sure you can come early or stay late so we can do other things. A baseball game should be "a must." The Padres will be away during San Diego's Comic Con though. They're playing Pittsburgh when the Con comes to my town. I have no idea what the Marlins are doing or where their stadium is compared to Orlando. It doesn't matter really, as I plan to stay in Florida for 2 weeks including the convention. I've just never been to Florida. I heard their palm trees are different from my own. Hehe.