A Tycho's Health Update

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Great stuff you guys. Congrats on making it happen and keeping it going, keeping the message going and, you know, "not dying" and all that, both of you, very impressive stuff. It's hard to believe it's been 5 years already, it still feels like just around the last corner. Love the photos of the donor wall and the Jeffrey Brown drawings, they would make great avatars!

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
It's a gift that keeps on giving.

Last night when I volunteered at the hospital we got a 26 year old young man cleared of all his tests so he can have his kidney transplant this year.

A lady friend of his will be his living donor and she is being tested now. It will take several months of monitoring her health to make sure she is a suitable donor. BobaFrett went through this for me and I am forever grateful.

When new come to our support group meetings at Scripps, they learn all about the process and how it helps transform and save lives. Up to 20 new patients come to some sessions.

I've been volunteering as a counselor at my hospital where 'Frett and I had the surgery for just about 6 years now, since even before I had my transplant. It so helped me, so I have to help others. Obviously the one in need, I can never be able to give back like BobaFrett did, but I am glad I can contribute in my own small way.

But 'Frett and the others who volunteer to be living donors are heroes for the rest of their lives! (transplants work even better and last much, much longer when they come from living donors).

bobafrett

Jedi Commander
That is great Josh! Whenever I am sharing our story, I always tell those whom I am sharing with about your volunteer work you do for these folks, who like you are wanting to know about what it is like being in that situation. You could have just had the transplant, sent me back home and never spoke to me again, and just went about life, but you make me proud to have been part of this journey, so glad to call you a friend, more like a good brother, and one hell of a good guy. When we started down this road all those years ago, from you giving me the phone number of the person to contact at Scripp's, then putting the ball in my court, I am glad I made the call. I wish we could have documented things ( the tests, some of the messages we shared, and the dates) a little better, but in the end, you are doing so well, and that's what counts!

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I'm so grateful to be alive and still posting here.

The above is right, and I've made arrangements to bring 'Frett and his wife out to Star Wars Celebration 7 (Disneyland, Angels baseball etc.) so if you're reading this and going to C7, we both would love to meet our friends from the site. We'll be hanging around Anaheim for over a week besides just the time of the convention. Hope you get in touch.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
I'm so grateful to be alive and still posting here.

The above is right, and I've made arrangements to bring 'Frett and his wife out to Star Wars Celebration 7 (Disneyland, Angels baseball etc.) so if you're reading this and going to C7, we both would love to meet our friends from the site. We'll be hanging around Anaheim for over a week besides just the time of the convention. Hope you get in touch.
Great to hear, about both situations. :thumbsup: I hope to go to C7 (maybe just the Friday - Sunday times [edit: tickets have been purchased; yay!]), so I'll see if there's a time and place to meet sometime.

Last edited:

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
P-F6G-5MV-KE4.jpg

Reunited with Barry after 6 years, with his wife Robin, and The Galactic Emperor (Ian McDiarmid) and Jedi Master Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill).

This was such a (short, but...) fun treat. Thank you BobaFrett!

And we met up with SirSteve and JediTricks after Friday's Celebration day closed.

bobafrett

Jedi Commander
Here we are aboard the Millennium Falcon! Bobafrett contemplates his next move. It was so good to see Josh, after 6+ years. We spent 4 days at Celebration, took in a couple of Anaheim Angels games, and spent a day checking out some of California's beaches. It was sad to leave.

Attachments

bobafrett

Jedi Commander
A happy 8th Transplataversary to Tycho! I can't believe how time flies, and that it was 8 years ago that our transplant surgery took place. In honor of this 8 year event, I went and saw Rogue One for the 8th time, and it was funny, because Facebook brought up in my memories section, that I went and saw Star Wars episode VII, for the 7th time last year on the 7 year Transplantaversary!!!!!

Attachments

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
Pretty cool that Star Wars thing, eh?

Hey guys, hit up BobaFrett on the topic of 6" OT figures. He can still enjoy a good Star Wars chat. I heard he's got almost all the 6" figures based around "A New Hope." It seems appropriate ;)

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
So we just had the 9th year anniversary of the kidney transplant.

BobaFrett and I are constantly in touch via texting and phone or Facebook, and my kidney Health should be fine.

However I fell and broke my left arm in half on the humerus and had surgery. I'm using voice to text a lot because I hate typing on a cell phone.

I'm getting a lot of pain from this.

Also after spending thousands of dollars getting my new novel edited for release this month, I pretty much am re-reading it for all 800 Pages for the thousandth time. I need it to be perfect and I think it is at about this point.

So I really don't have a lot of extra time to post. I'm usually on Facebook since that's faster. But I have not really seen or subscribed to SSG the force guide on Facebook. I mean I did but I think I don't have a lot of time and Miss the feeds from everything else I'm subscribe to their as well. But my reader's of my novel series come first there. and it's easier to edit stuff when I use voice to text then it is to see my screen on my phone for the website.

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate typing on these little keyboards and how everybody including myself is attached to their little phones.

I use a giant ergonomic keyboard which I can type 100 words per minute on, but usually have my word processor keyboard on my desk. I have a separate computer to compose my novels on and I disabled the modem so it is never online. I don't worry about security that way. It's not connected and I backup everything 2 flash drives and keep one in a safety deposit box. I don't have anything on the cloud and don't trust it.

But the arm was broke on a hiking trail and that is the only reason there could be change in my kidney tests because of the pain medication affecting my metabolism. I have to do physical therapy to get my arm fully functional again but fortunately I'm right handed and I hurt the left.

this is the fourth time for that arm as well since I broke it twice in baseball and once jumping from a horse onto top of the train for a western movie stunt. And that actually went fine until I stood up on top of the train announcing that I think we got that on the First Take and that is when I fell. Movie trick anyway. I basically walked from in the saddle on top of the train and Nemo was only trotting but when you speed up the film it looks like the great stunt.

But I want to express my appreciation for Barry and what he did for me. there's going to be a dedication to him in my next three novels because it's perfect sense they are baseball based stories about the Cubs in 1918 and Chicago's National League ball Club is Barry's favorite team.

Our doctors continue to impress and though they are kidney surgeons in organ transplant they immediately wanted to help me with my broken arm situation

I continue to volunteer my time with kidney failure patients at the hospital all of the time I can spare to give something back for the great gift of life I got.

I love Star Wars and that's basically that.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Congrats on 9 years, that's amazing, and also shocking since it doesn't feel like that long at all.

Sorry to hear about you breaking your arm, that's awful. Hopefully the surgery helps, and do the physical therapy, it's REALLY important, a family member of mine broke a wrist badly enough to need surgery and the PT she got wasn't enough, it's limiting.

As for typing on the phone, download Gboard, the free keyboard from Google, and use its swipe function, it's way easier than typing on a phone to slide your finger or thumb from letter to letter, more natural.

Reactions: Tycho

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I spent the weekend at a Revolutionary War reenactment in Huntington Beach. It was so awesome! I am still in pain with my arm but I toughed at forgetting about all that I watched all the action.

I do civil war and gunfighters, so I did not have the clothing and equipment to participate in this anyway. It was totally fun being a spectator!

Thank you for the well wishes

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
Today is the 10 year anniversary of my transplant. Thanks for the gift of a new life from BobaFrett (Barry and I messaged multiple times around the superbowl today) and thank to Steve and JediTricks and so many of my friends here on this site for all of your support.

I'm in perfect health and there's not much to report on that front. But that's a good thing.