A vague thread for random lego musings.

Ando

Jedi Apprentice
Jul 29, 2008
Portland, OR
At the recent Toys R Us buy one get one 1/2 off sale I picked up the Battle of Endor set and the Twilight Ship for my son. Its his 5th birthday tomorrow so I have been putting the Endor set together a bit at a time after he goes to sleep every night this week. I am leaving the minifigures for him to put together, but wanted to have the rest completed...he gets a little impatient putting the bigger sets together. I am having my wife wrap the big empty box and then I'll bring it out after he unwraps it. It is a really cool set with the AT-ST and all the minifigures. I am saving the Twilight for Christmas, if I can stand to wait that long.
We have both of those sets! I got the Endor set for my wife... She loves it!

The Twilight was one of the first new LEGO sets I bought back in January 2009 when I started buying SW LEGO sets and it's a B**** to put together. It's assymmetrical, so unlike some SW sets where you build one wing (or leg, or whatever) and then build the opposite side at the same time and in reverse, it's just one big mess because other than the main box (and even then!) there's no rhyme/reason to the design (the ship, not the LEGO design).

sonofsokol

Jedi Initiate
Jan 23, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
I had debted between the Twilight and the Home One set with the A-wing, but it sold out by the stores near my house, so I ended up with the Twilight kind of by default. The Gunship and AT-TE look really cool, but I went with the Twilight because I figured that it likely won't get made in the main Hasbro line like the Gunship and AT-TE have, so it would be more unique that way. Too bad it is so crazy to assemble... that is especially frustrating since I end up reassembling my son's legos quite frequently... Oh well, that's half the fun I guess.

DarkArtist

Jedi Apprentice
Feb 13, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
hey does anyone know when the blind packs of Lego people are going to be hitting retail... so far i have checked a few stores and the people all look at me like i have 20 heads or something.

LusiferSam

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 22, 2002
montana
You mean the Collectible Minifigures, 8683? Series 1 comes out in the US and Canada in late June. Europe and Australia have them right now, which is there's a big fuss about them. Series 2 will be released some time in the fall. Also in the US they might be a Lego exclusive. I've haven't heard of which stores will be carrying them.

DarkArtist

Jedi Apprentice
Feb 13, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
You mean the Collectible Minifigures, 8683? Series 1 comes out in the US and Canada in late June. Europe and Australia have them right now, which is there's a big fuss about them. Series 2 will be released some time in the fall. Also in the US they might be a Lego exclusive. I've haven't heard of which stores will be carrying them.
thanks.... i actually found them today at TRU. picked up 10 packs and got 5 Crash test Dummies, 1 Caveman, 1 robot, 1 EMT, 1 Ninja and 1 Nacho Libre Wrestler.

the retail for $1.99 for each figure.

Ando

Jedi Apprentice
Jul 29, 2008
Portland, OR
I will have to go to my LEGO store at the local mall and check 'em out, then! Hopefully they will have them if not now, soon.

LusiferSam

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 22, 2002
montana
I was just going to post I heard some TRU had jumped the gun and put them out early. And I just noticed I said late June, but meant early June. I have no clue when I'm going to be able to find this, so I super jealous right now.

Totally shifting gears, I'm about to have a new oldest set. I've bought some more older sets this week and two of them are from '58. Which is pretty close to being as old as you can get. I'll let you know what they are once they arrive.

LusiferSam

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 22, 2002
montana
This new stuff arrived yesterday. I'm totally exited about. The first set is the Motorcycles and bikes set from '58. They basically some of the first Lego figures. They're hand paint and quite unlike anything Lego has made in past 45 years. I looked at getting another set, Traffic Police, but the cost is just so high.

The other older set I picked up was a light brick, 245. There's a bunch of version of this set, but 245 is the continental European version. Amazingly the still works. I won't say the bulb is 50 years old, but it is old as are the wires. Very cool in my book.

The rest of the stuff was pretty mundane, so I'll skip it unless people are really curious.

DarkArtist

Jedi Apprentice
Feb 13, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
I was just going to post I heard some TRU had jumped the gun and put them out early. And I just noticed I said late June, but meant early June. I have no clue when I'm going to be able to find this, so I super jealous right now.QUOTE]

the tru by me had about a dozen boxes at both the front of the store as well as 5 in the actual Lego section so hopefully these will be plentiful for months to come. I really want an army of the Zombie figure as well as 10 or so of the cheerleader.

LusiferSam

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 22, 2002
montana
:mad: I have no idea what the problem has been, but [email protected] has really got me ticked off. For the past week I've been trying to place an order for Grand Emporium. It had been out of stock, but is now back in. So Monday night I trying placing my order. Wouldn't expect my credit card. It was late, I figured I entered some thing wrong and wasn't seeing. Tuesday same thing. Thursday night I called [email protected] They said I needed to talk to Customer Service. Friday morning I talked to Customer Service, they said I should talk to the credit card company first. Well there was no point in that as my card was working fine (used twice on Wednesday and one on Friday) and am well below my limit. Saturday I tried calling [email protected] again and placing a fresh order, same thing. Now Sunday night for the heck of it I tried the web site again. Now it goes through. Grrrrrrrr! :upset:

DarkArtist

Jedi Apprentice
Feb 13, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
so the other day while strolling around the local TRU I wondered into the Lego isle hoping to see some of the new sets of Lego (found the Wampa set and Plo Koon's Starfighter and looking up on the overhead storage shelf I see the set that has eluded for the past few years....

The Lego Death Star.... it was $399.99 and I had the set in my hands and seriously debated buying it right then and there... this is the one set that I have been dying to get since it first came out... thinking of putting it on layaway if they still have it tonight.

LusiferSam

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 22, 2002
montana
Well, I continue hunt for older sets. While not a major purchase or find I just got Beacon Tracer. This is one of two M:Tron sets I didn't get as a kid. Now with set I have complete the subtheme, and is the first time I've completed any subtheme outside Castle or Pirate.

I've found that the recently retied sets have a huge speculators market to them. There's no way I'm paying $300 for a set that cost $50. I know it will hurt Lego and toy companies, but I really hope the collectible toy market has a crash soon.

DarkArtist

Jedi Apprentice
Feb 13, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
was in Walmart last night and noticed something interesting that I'm not sure was mentioned here before A Midi Size Star Destroyer set that say Limited Edition and comes in the blue sky packaging. was tempted to pick it up as the last year's Midi Scale Millennium Falcon was a great set. I think it was $39.99 but it was a really nice set.

also gotta say loved CV and the exclusive White Boba Fett giveaway. not sure if I want to take him out of the baggie or keep him sealed. :thumbsup:

dr_evazan22

Jedi Apprentice
Feb 5, 2002
Delaware
Visit site
Was at my local Costco tonight looking for the Hasbro vehicles. I didn't find those, but they had 2 LEGO sets for 48.99.... The Emp's shuttle from ROTS, and the ARC-170.

LusiferSam

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 22, 2002
montana
Recently I've been adding a lot of Adventurers sets my collection. There a lot of these sets that I'm missing for some reason or another. And just the exclusives, but main release sets. I just got the Air Zeppelin and Red Eagle. The Red Eagle is a fun little set from the Orient Expedition. And the Air Zeppelin is from the Jungle. It's goofy set, but it works. Now with these two I'm within one set each to complete the subtheme. The Black Cruiser for the Orient Expedition and the Jungle Ruler.

The Black Cruiser should be relatively easy to find, but I'm coming to an end of the easy stuff. I've got a few more 'easy' ones then I'm into the really hard stuff: Kabaya. Kabaya is a Japanese sweets company that between 1998-2000 had about 40 Lego exclusives. Many of these were re-releases of other sets. Some were not. They're difficult to find and always very expensive ($80 for a 30 piece set is low). I don't know if I'll ever get these. I'll keep looking, but price is always going to be the issue.

DarkArtist

Jedi Apprentice
Feb 13, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Recently I've been adding a lot of Adventurers sets my collection. There a lot of these sets that I'm missing for some reason or another. And just the exclusives, but main release sets. I just got the Air Zeppelin and Red Eagle. The Red Eagle is a fun little set from the Orient Expedition. And the Air Zeppelin is from the Jungle. It's goofy set, but it works. Now with these two I'm within one set each to complete the subtheme. The Black Cruiser for the Orient Expedition and the Jungle Ruler.

The Black Cruiser should be relatively easy to find, but I'm coming to an end of the easy stuff. I've got a few more 'easy' ones then I'm into the really hard stuff: Kabaya. Kabaya is a Japanese sweets company that between 1998-2000 had about 40 Lego exclusives. Many of these were re-releases of other sets. Some were not. They're difficult to find and always very expensive ($80 for a 30 piece set is low). I don't know if I'll ever get these. I'll keep looking, but price is always going to be the issue.
i actually have those sets with the exception of the Air Zepplin...love them. to me they were the first Indiana Jones sets to be developed...and they hold up great with the Indy sets of today.

LusiferSam

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 22, 2002
montana
You know lots of people say that, but I never felt that way. It's clearly inspired by Indy, but it's not Indy. The Egypt sets are the most like Indiana Jones and really some of favorite. I'm not a huge fan of the Dino Island stuff. Honestly might have just skipped that knowing what I know now about (it's too JP 2 for me).

I just picked up some Ninja stuff. Ninja isn't one of my favorite subthemes, but do like it. Normally the small and/or exclusive sets in a subtheme aren't that great. But Ninja has some awesome minor sets. So I just got 1099 and 1269. So two more down on a difficult subtheme to complete.

DarkArtist

Jedi Apprentice
Feb 13, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
:thumbsup:found this pick over at Coreplanets.com of the upcoming Wave 3 Lego people blind packs.. can't wait to get some of these figures...definately want the Mummy and the Ape... the Baseball player looks cool as well along with the figures in the back row:thumbsup:

LusiferSam

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 22, 2002
montana
:thumbsup:found this pick over at Coreplanets.com of the upcoming Wave 3 Lego people blind packs.. can't wait to get some of these figures...definately want the Mummy and the Ape... the Baseball player looks cool as well along with the figures in the back row:thumbsup:
Really? Those two? I'd go for the hula girl and Legolas first. The snowboard chick and samurai look pretty good too. The rest are cool, but not gotta have.