B&W ANH Topps cards

Apr 28, 2013
What's your thoughts on these? I saw a set at a recent comic show but they were a little pricey. Maybe the price will drop in a few months. They did look sharp.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Interesting that in the 21st century, a black-and-white product would seem "new." If they are less-common images, they'll be cool. If they are mainly just B&W versions of well-known shots, not so much.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I found a couple of cheap online lots (I now have about 80 of these; the set has 140 in its base); the photos are of angles I hadn't seen before of ANH. I doubt I'll fill in the missing cards (as there's almost half left), but they are nicer than I expected due to these less-common images.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
It did it again... deleted my entire text while typing (unless I did something wrong). Grr!

What's your thoughts on these? I saw a set at a recent comic show but they were a little pricey. Maybe the price will drop in a few months. They did look sharp.
After waiting and searching (plus buying some loose card lots; apparently one where I had every card already), I got a complete 140-card set for a bit over $20. Those shots I hadn't ever seen before are really great! Worth looking into.

The OC47150

Force Sensitive
Nov 9, 2018
Dunno.

Fewer and fewer places are carrying cards these days. Can't remember the last time I saw current cards for sale a the comic shop; it's been a while.

Other than Target, I don't know of any brick and mortar stores carrying SW cards. .

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I have found that Dollar Tree has smaller packs (usually 4) of SW series a few months after their "popularity" has started to wane. Sometimes, Wal*Mart has some regular-sized packs or boxes. But you're right; it's Target or nothing (and none of the few hobby shops around me carry any SW cards at all).

But the images I've seen online look really good; I expect ROJ within a year or so as well. I wonder if they took B&W shots during the Prequels, too.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I won an auction for the 150-card base set plus 2 insert sets (but not the Behind the Scenes one, which is the one that is awesome, filled with images I've never seen before; just like the ANH set, which I also don't have :( ), which was a bit pricey, but not when you divide it by 170 total cards. I await their arrival now.

[edit] It is, as was the ANH one, a great set. The captions continue the ESB plot, even if the image on the front isn't exactly that scene (Hoth and Bespin had most of the photos, so there were a few "repeats" from different angles or characters featured). Seeing the sketches of potential ESB movie posters in that insert set was interesting: some had ANH images, like Leia in her white dress... on a tauntaun?!? I now await the ROJ set, too, but wish it wasn't only a hobby exclusive.

Last edited:

The OC47150

Force Sensitive
Nov 9, 2018
I will have to be on the lookout. I have the first big con next month and there is a card dealer there, but I'm familiar with his prices. Ebay is the way to go.

The OC47150

Force Sensitive
Nov 9, 2018
When to my first big con of the year last weekend. The card vendor who's there every year had a set of the B&W ANH cards for $60. He sold his set of ESB cards.

I'll start checking ebay after I get back from Celebration.