Best Exclusive Figure of 2007

Which is the best exclusive figure of 2007?

• concept General Grievous (SWshop)

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Cantina Band Member (Disney SW Weekends)

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • concept Obi-Wan Kenobi & Yoda (SDCC)

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • R2-KT (SDCC/HTS/SWshop)

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • concept Luke Skywalker (CIV/CE)

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • Shadow Scout (SDCC)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • concept R2-D2 & C-3PO (CIV/CE)

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cane_Adiss

Jedi Initiate
Aug 12, 2007
Pennsylvania
I haven't bought any of these actually as I usually don't buy exclusives. I voted R2 and 3PO tho because of all of these those are the ones I'm most likely to buy eventually. I like the Grievous, but he was too expensive and I'm holding my breath that he will be re-released someday eventually via a Saga legends type thing.

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
The cantina figure's base does play the music, and it lights up. Including it was basically filler, but it has a few fans already.

I'm surprised at all the love for Luke, a good figure yes, but the majority of folks totally DUMPED on it for the exclusivity issue and price.
I would say the the Cantina figures are the worst of the exclusive offered. Outdated sculpting, outdated articulation and the tin set is still shelf warming in some Wal-Marts I go to.

We really need a new SA Cantina band. It'd be easy for Hasbro to make carded, just make one SA figure like before with all of the instruments and a stool (for the guy who's sitting down). This way, if you want a five member band, then you buy five figures. If you want the full 7 member band, then you can buy seven figures.

So what does the sound chip play? Do they all just play the main Cantina song?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jedi_Kal-El

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 6, 2008
Delirious
www.myspace.com
I would say the the Cantina figures are the worst of the exclusive offered. Outdated sculpting, outdated articulation and the tin set is still shelf warming in some Wal-Marts I go to.

We really need a new SA Cantina band. It'd be easy for Hasbro to make carded, just make one SA figure like before with all of the instruments and a stool (for the guy who's sitting down). This way, if you want a five member band, then you buy five figures. If you want the full 7 member band, then you can buy seven figures.

I'd go for something like that BB. I got the tin set simply because I never got the mail-in band member, but yes they are in need of a resculpt, and the idea you've presented wouldn't be a bad one.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Somehow, I don't see Hasbro giving the Modal Nodes the full SA spread. The head sculpt on the current figure is pretty good, it's just that body which is a major letdown.

Yeah, just 30 seconds or so of the main song.

Sinscia Fat'o

Jedi Initiate
Dec 14, 2006
Wow i agree with the masses! Concept Luke, which totally rocked the exclusive market, at least for me, the Grievous would be a nice runner up just because i like the look of the figure, but the luke is just a bad @$$ looking figure, i think it's the breath mask that makes him look menaceing.

jedibear

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 16, 2001
Vermont
Visit site
Boy this was a tough one...so many of them were actually new and unique instead of just repainted clones and such.

I love the McQuarrie line and all three entries here were good solid additons to that line...but I went with that other concept figure...Grievous. He looked cool and really went well with the other cool figure of him, the Pre-Cyborg version. Between the two of these and the great GG bust one can have a thorough display of him.

DarkArtist

Jedi Apprentice
Feb 13, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
I voted for R2-KT because the proceeds of the figure went ot a good cause. While yes it was just another repainted R2 figure, this is the one figure I really wanted out of all the exclusives this year.

misosazai7

Force Sensitive
Aug 4, 2007
I voted for the C-3PO & R2-D2 combo. I would have voted for Luke but for the dreadful color of his face (It didn't match his torso) which made him look like a corpse. I also think the R2-KT was the best concept they ever had for an exclusive.

Jedi_Kal-El

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 6, 2008
Delirious
www.myspace.com
I have to tend to agree with Chux on this matter. I bought R2-KT, and I thought the meaning behind it was more than well justified. My heart goes out to the family, and it's good that proceeds were put to a good cause. Does that mean I have to vote it as the best figure simply based on that? No, it does not.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
(I pulled the post he's referring to for being a little too inappropriately-expressed.)

(Also, to respond to something incorrect Chux said there, Hasbro wasn't giving part of the profits to charity, they made the donation in advance of whatever they sell, and thus they aren't making a profit on this piece no matter what.)

Deoxyribonucleic

Jedi Apprentice
I have to tend to agree with Chux on this matter. I bought R2-KT, and I thought the meaning behind it was more than well justified. My heart goes out to the family, and it's good that proceeds were put to a good cause. Does that mean I have to vote it as the best figure simply based on that? No, it does not.
I wasn't going to say anything about this, but those of you who know me know I can't always keep my thoughts to myself :thumbsup: So, without further ado, I agree with Kal-El and Chux. While it was awesome that they made this figure for the family and that the sister came up with the idea, it's not that great of a figure. What makes a good figure in my opinion is one that sets it apart from the others for reasons to each individual. I chose the threepio and artoo because it really captures Star Wars for me and I love, love, love McQuarrie's artwork.

Second, my Mom just recently passed away from Breast cancer and no one made a figure for her but it's still a very, very sad thing, but I don't care that a figure wasn't made for her or others who have passed away from breast cancer. If someone did make a figure for her and it was a pink artoo from a mold that's been used over and over, I still wouldn't vote for it and my Mom would kick my a** if I did! Lots of us fans bought the figure, proceeds go for research...FANTASTIC, but that still doesn't make this exclusive the best figure for so many other reasons.

Each to their own in deciding what figure you like best. If you like and voted for the R2-KT for the reasons behind it, great! If you voted for a different figure for your own reasons, also great! But please, do not put a guilt trip on those of us who didn't vote for it, that's just ridiculous!

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
I didn't actually say they gave proceeds from R2-KT to charity. I've been correcting people all along on that. However, I simplified my statement... not that it matters now. :)

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
No, what you insinuating is they "sell it for $20, and tell you that $0.05 of the proceeds from each [sold] is going to charity" which is not what they're doing. They're selling it for $20 and saying they're not making any money at all on it no matter what because they've already made the donation.

Anyway, I didn't pull your post because of what you were saying, just how you expressed it. If you wanna post it again without the references, that's fine.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
$20, it has special 501st packaging, and the tampo printing on the back of the figure is very tight work - it's quite an accurate representation of the real R2-KT. We got a good look at both the real droid and the first shot figure at the CIV presentation, I asked Steve to shoot the back of the figure on the assumption that they might have done something and sure enough it was all there, very impressive tampo work actually, Hasbro put a lot of effort into that I bet.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
I think you're reading more into what I was saying than was intended. I was using an outlandish example to say (or hoping to say, at least) that repainting R2-D2 doesn't make the greatest figure of the year because a megacorporation gave money to a charity.