Best Figure of TAC - winners showdown

Which is the best figure from the 30th Anniversary Collection?

• Galactic Marine

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Concept Boba Fett

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Jawa & LIN Droid

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • CZ-4

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Hermi Odle

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Concept Snowtrooper

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Ewoks: Romba & Graak

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Pax Bonkik

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Concept Rebel Trooper

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mad Slanted Powers

Jedi Commander
May 20, 2002
Bellingham, WA
www.madslantedpowers.com
I went with Concept Boba Fett.

Galactic Marine had standing issues.

I don't like the look of the other two concept figures in the poll.

Pax was good, but just a repaint of VTSC Greedo with a different vest.

Hermi was impressive with his size and sculpt, but to me his size kind of limits his mobility.

I don't have the Ewoks yet, but the pictures I've seen indicate these are the best Ewoks ever made.

CZ-4 has great articulation compared to past human-form droids.

The Jawa was a nice update with a cool new droid to go with it.

Concept Fett probably wasn't my favorite of the line. I think I liked Concept Starkiller better. Out of this bunch though, it beats out the Jawa, CZ-4 and the Ewoks.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
I got the Ewoks today, and, wow. Wow. The only things that are worthy of beating Jawas in any contest did indeed do so. (Well, there wasn't a Teek figure, who is the only creature who could beat both a Jawa and two Ewoks.)

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
For me the choice boiled down to Hermi, Concept Boba and the Ewoks.

Although my choice for best TAC figure of 2007 didn't even make it to this poll, so I picked the second-best figures from that wave and voted for the Ewoks.

McFett was cool and it was notable for getting people excited about collecting again (I can't remember this much scalping and speculation about a figure since the 1999 Ep1 Darth Maul). Plus, he's a landmark figure for the Star Wars line, one that will be remembered and sought after 20 years from now. It was just a matter of minor annoyances with the figure itself that kept me from voting for him.

Hermi, a very, very good figure, but it's just missing something to push him to that Ephant Mon level of greatness. I think Hasbro was too worried that he wouldn't be appealing to kids, so they softened up his disgusting factor; but I think that ultimately hurt the overall figure.

Ji'dai

Jedi Apprentice
Oct 31, 2002
Indiana
jpanix.tripod.com
I voted for Hermi Odle. Although not quite the drooling meat-sack seen in the film, he best represents the type of figure that I prefer to collect these days: new sculpts of obscure OT background characters. What can I say, size does matter - large figures impress me. Hermi's colossal brethren Ephant Mon and Graxol Kelvyyn will always have a spot in my displays.

I bought 7 of the 9 poll-winning figures; the only two I passed on were Galactic Marine and Pax Bonkik.

My non-Hermi favorites out of the bunch are Concept Fett, Snowtrooper, and the Ewoks.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Although my choice for best TAC figure of 2007 didn't even make it to this poll, so I picked the second-best figures from that wave and voted for the Ewoks.
So which was your choice then? I haven't heard a lot of this type of thing in this poll (yet?), but I figured there were a trio of waves' polls that were close enough to cause this sort of thing eventually.

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
So which was your choice then? I haven't heard a lot of this type of thing in this poll (yet?), but I figured there were a trio of waves' polls that were close enough to cause this sort of thing eventually.
I would have picked Tycho Celchu for best TAC figure of 2007. Not the best figure of 2007 mind you, but the best figure from the standard TAC line.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I liked many of the winning choices. They were some of the figures I cared most about.

I was slightly surprised that my final choice came down to the Ewoks. They did not rank on my Scene-By-Scene poll, but I believe Romba did make Kidhuman's and was one of the 15 figures our results differed by (out of 50 total, or 36 matching).

I know I voted for an Ewok in my Ewok sub-group in my poll, but it was likely Chief Chirpa or Paploo as a priority for me over Romba.

The Galactic Marine and Herme Odle were both figures I was very happy about. But 2 Ewoks is a value (repeating myself, I know) and Herme's paint choices weren't movie authentic.

CZ-4 was great to get, just not as exciting. But very necessary to be sure!

The LIN Droid should have been a little bit larger. Otherwise I was very glad to get it.

A huge disappointment was how bad the Han Solo Bespin Torture figure was. The chair was pretty decent - still could have been slightly more scarier. But Han's figure was so disproportionate THAT was scary!

I know he didn't rank to be voted on as a finalist, but my disillusionment with him is worth mentioning.

Also Lando Smuggler would have been easy to offer with much of the existing stuff that's already been tooled. A CommTech Han vest would have been so simple....grrrrrrr.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I would have picked Tycho Celchu for best TAC figure of 2007. Not the best figure of 2007 mind you, but the best figure from the standard TAC line.
Ah, ok, that makes sense, that was the tightest race in the whole series as just 3 figures garnered 93% of the vote and they split it 3 ways with just 5 votes separating them.

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
It's not over yet, we haven't even gotten to the GOOD figures yet. I'm waiting for the VTAC poll.

Since there're are only 6 figures in that assortment, we could run the "best of" and "worst of" at the same time. Both polls would list all six action figures and we'd just have to hope that one figure doesn't win both best and worst.:)

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Yeah, I was kinda hunting for what would be next, Vintage-style seemed to make sense. I don't think we need to bother with "worst of" for the other stuff, but besides Vintage, what polls should come next? Any and all suggestions appreciated. Be specific as possible, for example, would a comics 2packs poll be about which pack is best or which individual figure is best?

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Vehicles is a toughy because there were only 2 new vehicles released in '07, the rest were repaints. Basically, it'd be:
V-wing Starfighter - 100%
Sith Infiltrator - 0%

Exclusives might be better, as there were a metric ton of them, but with so many battlepacks and vehicles and figures, will it seem unbalanced?

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
Yeah, I was kinda hunting for what would be next, Vintage-style seemed to make sense. I don't think we need to bother with "worst of" for the other stuff, but besides Vintage, what polls should come next? Any and all suggestions appreciated. Be specific as possible, for example, would a comics 2packs poll be about which pack is best or which individual figure is best?
For the comic packs, I think the easiest thing to do would be voting for the overall package. Voting for individual figures would just take too long.

I never saw the Order 66 packs and the Battle Packs are about 99% rehashes. I could see voting for the "overall package" with the BPs, but then would we do best Unleashed BP, best Transformer, best Galactic Hero set? Where would it end?

TAC, VTAC and Comic 2-packs, that should be it since those have the highest percentage of all-new figures.

Snowtrooper

Sith Apprentice
Sep 14, 2006
Vehicles is a toughy because there were only 2 new vehicles released in '07, the rest were repaints. Basically, it'd be:
V-wing Starfighter - 100%
Sith Infiltrator - 0%

Exclusives might be better, as there were a metric ton of them, but with so many battlepacks and vehicles and figures, will it seem unbalanced?
Would it work to include the repaints in the poll and have everybody vote for their three favorites? It might make it a little more interesting. I liked a few of the repaints well enough buy to some.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I dunno if there'd be enough interest in a poll consisting largely of repainted vehicles, but if you want to try to convince me, I'll be open to listening.

Any other ideas??? Gonna need to do another poll in 6 days.