Collection Storage

Lowly Bantha Cleaner

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Singing praises
Visit site
Hey all,

don't mind my hibernation. Life happened to me.

Over the past few years I have married, divorced and now am engaged to marry soon. Which relates me to my question.

I am moving into my fiancee whose house is the size of a shoebox. I can fit Star Wars into her house but am limited to what I can bring. I have decided to rent a storage locker to store the rest of my collection until we both move into a house that is bigger and we can agree on. The problem is that the storage place I called does not have climate control A/C (but heating) and when I joked well, at least it's not going to get up to 100 degrees inside the unit, the owner replied "it might."

If I did rent a unit without AC and stored the items in totes, with potential high heat, would there be expected damage? The climate I am in is a Great Lakes climate, cold in the Winter, warm in the Summer. I appreciate any feedback that you can give.

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
I live in northern California and all of my vehicles and lots of the figures are kept in my garage without any climate control. It gets over 100 in the summer and below freezing in the winter. For the most part, things hold up okay if you package them up well.

the main thing to remember is that gravity and weight are not your friends. It's probably the heat that causes it more than anything but over time some of the thinner or softer parts will bend or sag. I have tried to counter this by taking things apart as much as I can and using bubble wrap to protect them. This minimizes the weight on vulnerable parts. I have also reinforced skinny parts as needed with straight objects (wooden pencils work well) and residue-free masking tape.

Generally, the figures can stand the heat and cold pretty well and are just loose in tubs. Sometimes you'll see the paint from one figure rubbing off on another (most noticeable on flat white figures) but this seems to be more of a problem with older figures and the Hasbro stuff from the last decade or so doesn't seem to have this issue as much.

Reactions: JediTricks

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
Ah, 'fraid my advise only goes so far then; everything I was describing in my garage is loose. My carded stuff (which is a very small percentage of my collection) is all in the house.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
If it's important to keep it carded, your figures inside will be fine but you'll be fighting to keep the cards intact. If you pack them horizontally they'll risk bowing, but they will have safer corners and edges; if you pack them vertically they'll be bearing more weight on the cardstock and you could have collapses. If you're storing them in clear cases, you'll want to keep them horizontal facing up to take gravity's effect off the blisters. If you're packing them the way the came in cases, face to face, consider a sheet of tissue between them to avoid rubbing. I have found that carded was taking up 10x as much space as loose, dropping down to a loose collector I got my whole collection into a moving box.

Totes are not your friends in this situation, their angled design makes them waste space, they deform in the heat (and these places can get well over 100f) and they weigh a lot. If you haven't bought them yet, consider moving boxes instead, they will distribute the load better and use more of your space evenly. I have a few totes left in my collection and I regret them.

Regardless of what you're packing the stuff away in, consider wrapping each piece or each bundle inside the totes in plastic wrap as moisture does occasionally get in, and you don't want to come back to find water damage has ruined your carded collection. No fun but it's worth considering.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Singing praises
Visit site
If it's important to keep it carded, your figures inside will be fine but you'll be fighting to keep the cards intact. If you pack them horizontally they'll risk bowing, but they will have safer corners and edges; if you pack them vertically they'll be bearing more weight on the cardstock and you could have collapses. If you're storing them in clear cases, you'll want to keep them horizontal facing up to take gravity's effect off the blisters. If you're packing them the way the came in cases, face to face, consider a sheet of tissue between them to avoid rubbing. I have found that carded was taking up 10x as much space as loose, dropping down to a loose collector I got my whole collection into a moving box.

Totes are not your friends in this situation, their angled design makes them waste space, they deform in the heat (and these places can get well over 100f) and they weigh a lot. If you haven't bought them yet, consider moving boxes instead, they will distribute the load better and use more of your space evenly. I have a few totes left in my collection and I regret them.

Regardless of what you're packing the stuff away in, consider wrapping each piece or each bundle inside the totes in plastic wrap as moisture does occasionally get in, and you don't want to come back to find water damage has ruined your carded collection. No fun but it's worth considering.
Thanks for the advice you guys. I appreciate the science behind the packing too, it makes more sense now.

Reactions: JediTricks