Disney Turns Star Wars Comic License over to Marvel in 2015

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
At NYCC, Marvel announced another series: Kanan, focusing on the Star Wars Rebels character. The first, five-issue arc will be called "The Last Padawan," written by Greg Weisman. The cover art features a young Kanan and Depa Billaba facing off against Shock Troopers on Coruscant. Maybe they'll explain (the non-Shatterpoint version of) why Depa wasn't in ROTS?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
At NYCC, Marvel announced another series: Kanan, focusing on the Star Wars Rebels character. The first, five-issue arc will be called "The Last Padawan," written by Greg Weisman. The cover art features a young Kanan and Depa Billaba facing off against Shock Troopers on Coruscant. Maybe they'll explain (the non-Shatterpoint version of) why Depa wasn't in ROTS?
Goodbye, well-written storyline and characterization of Ferus Olin, formerly the last one. Apparently, we never knew ye. :( Jude Watson will turn over in her grave after she dies.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Hmm, I dunno, this is a lot of focus on Kanan right now, they could end up burning the character out too soon. A New Dawn was a very long book and nearly everything in it was on Kanan; then there's Star Wars Rebels, which he's the star of. I get that they want to exploit the new character, but this could end up being oversaturing - Kanan's story is interesting in part because of what we DON'T know about him. Also, he's Caleb Dume at that point in his life.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Isn't Jaxxon kinda canon, though, if the Clone Wars (II) cartoon is? Isn't there a "wanted" poster for him somewhere in one episode, or something?

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Isn't Jaxxon kinda canon, though, if the Clone Wars (II) cartoon is? Isn't there a "wanted" poster for him somewhere in one episode, or something?
He appeared on a wanted poster in a StarWars.com comic that was released weekly for the first few seasons of TCW, but the comic itself isn't considered canon. In the TCW episode "A Sunny Day in the Void," the characters come across a downed ship that just so happens to have a large-toothed skeleton wearing clothing very similar to Jaxxon. Obviously if he died during or before the Clone Wars, that wouldn't be the Jaxxon of the Marvel storylines, but it's as close as the canon has gotten.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Marvel just released a preview of the Darth Vader comic, showing the Sith lord at Jabba's palace. You'd think he wouldn't want to go to Tatooine? I know this takes place after ANH, so maybe he's going there to investigate claims that the Rebel pilot who destroyed the Death Star was from there? Hopefully they don't say that he'd been going there previously, since he totally would've sensed Luke. Some of the art is cool, some seems to have horrible scale, and some is clearly referenced directly from ROTJ (Dengar must love to stand in that exact same spot a lot).

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
That preview has a puffy look to the designs, and the pencils don't seem to have much expression for the faces that are showing. I would agree that some of it looks almost traced from ROTJ, the angles that work best were lifted from the film and the ones that are new are noticeably looser in proportions and angles to the point of almost looking like fan art.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
I'm open to saying the old timeline is "full," closing it off, and starting anew with only the films and cartoons as definite canon.

But they should try for better than the old, and what I'm seeing so far doesn't look like they are.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Entertainment Weekly posted a preview of the main title's first issue. There seems to be a lot of Jabba involvement in these issues, and I was initially worried that the skiff guard disguises were just being reused for the sake of reusing them—which, sure, that's part of it—but I wonder if they'll say this is how Lando got that costume in the first place.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Haven't read the first issue, but Jason Aaron is an excellent writer. I've been following his Thor since he took over as writer some time ago and it is outstanding. I was skeptical, at first, since he was replacing another talented writer, Kieron Gillen, but he has definitely made the book a top of the pile read.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Thanks, but I'm good. I figure that I'll wait and see what the actual reaction is and, if mostly positive (at least from folks I trust), I'll order the paperback. Jason Aaron is usually good on creator-owned stuff, but hit and miss on superheroes--remarkably like Brain Wood in that regard, and his Star Wars series was far from good enough to get me to buy the second collection.

If this were THE first Star Wars #1, it might be different. Or if the variant were anything but a ploy to artificially inflate sales numbers by getting people to buy multiples. (I just know that if I pick up floppies on anything less "omigod, gotta read this NOW than TF:RG1, I'll get sucked right back into a few dozen titles per month.)

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Thanks, but I'm good. I figure that I'll wait and see what the actual reaction is and, if mostly positive (at least from folks I trust), I'll order the paperback. ...

If this were THE first Star Wars #1, it might be different. Or if the variant were anything but a ploy to artificially inflate sales numbers by getting people to buy multiples.
Okay... but you know that EVERYTHING Star Wars is ALWAYS received positively. Yes. Ev-ery-thing.

Wait, what? A ploy? I've been duped!

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
If this were THE first Star Wars #1, it might be different. Or if the variant were anything but a ploy to artificially inflate sales numbers by getting people to buy multiples. (I just know that if I pick up floppies on anything less "omigod, gotta read this NOW than TF:RG1, I'll get sucked right back into a few dozen titles per month.)
Man, I sure did NOT realize just how many variants they had... some were other comic homages (Spider-Man #129 with Boba as Punisher, Giant Size X-Men #1 with the heroes bursting through), different artists' takes, simple ones; I'm not even sure what the standard cover is.

I picked up the Jaxxon and the Luke as Kenner figure one (it looked cool, not for collectible value), and another Jaxxon one might be available later. Have not read it yet. And those $4.99 cover prices have truly turned me into an old dude. :(

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
I picked up a copy of the new Star Wars yesterday too. More out of a sense of duty, becuase the comic shop was making a huge deal out of the new series and I would have felt a little guilty leaving the store without at least buying the first issue.

I just picked up the standard cover. It was okay, I guess. However, if I was looking for something that would bring back that magical spark and reinvigorate my interest in Star Wars, this wasn't it. That's not to say the book wasn't well crafted, but in many ways it felt a little too well-crafted and polished. The original Star Wars film was basically a low-budget movie that was still rough around the edges, but it had heart and you could tell that the filmmakers poured their souls into making it. However, this new comic feels like it was written with a cold, corporate, groupthink mentality. Where there was a checklist of elements that they wanted to include in the first story arc and the writer and artist simply went down that list and marked stuff off as they incorporated them.

Also, I think the art was too focused on maintaining actor likenesses, instead of storytelling flow and keeping the energy levels up. It's like the story kept grinding to a halt every time we got to a nearly-photorealistic close-up of Han, Luke or Leia.

I don't think I will be buying issue #2.