Disney Turns Star Wars Comic License over to Marvel in 2015

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
I picked up the standard cover and the Jaxxon variant last night but haven't been able to read it yet. I would like to get the Luke action figure cover as well at some point, but no luck yet. Forbidden Planet was having a 20% off all Star Wars items sale, but they didn't have anything I needed, so I got a Howard the Duck bobblehead instead. :p Outside of bigb, most of the reviews seem positive, so I'm excited to check it out.

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
Outside of bigb, most of the reviews seem positive, so I'm excited to check it out.
I think I'm just burned out on Star Wars in general. I probably should have just saved my $5 and not bought it at all, since the odds that I would actually enjoy it were pretty slim from the get go.

I'm wondering if the continuity hounds are going to be up in arms about the last panel of the first issue.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I think Luke will probably run and Vader won't get close enough to recognize him, or the lightsaber handle.

Furthermore, maybe that's just an artist's exaggeration of the close encounter that won't be an encounter, so as to entice everyone else (except BigBarada) to buy issue 2.

I enjoyed the read, so it's a little more than just going through the motions.

I still have a negative reaction to C-3PO. He's always been "the JarJar" of the entire saga for me. And I still separate Anthony Daniels from his character, as Mr. Daniels is a cool guy. Threepio is annoying and yeah, the comic captured that feel of Star Wars for me too.

I'm surprised that if 4-LOM was there, he didn't make a move to collect the bounty on Han. Sure, Vader hadn't doubled the price yet, but Jabba did have a reward posted I'm sure.

Maybe 4-LOM shouldn't have been there just as a fan-wank?

Luke was acting like Luke, freeing the slaves though. That was cool to see.

I love Leia ordering Chewie to take the shot when he had the drop on Vader (or so he thought). Very post-Alderaan of her!

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Okay, I enjoyed that quite a bit! The creative team did a great job at making it feel like it picks up shortly after ANH, and every character was portrayed well and got a moment to shine. A very fun new beginning.

SPOILERS follow.

I'm wondering if the continuity hounds are going to be up in arms about the last panel of the first issue.
There's nothing in ESB that states that was the first time Luke and Vader had met face-to-face, so what would be the continuity issue? Based on previews posted on the official site, it seems Luke takes Ben's advice and runs, so like Tycho, I doubt they'll fight.

Tycho said:
I'm surprised that if 4-LOM was there, he didn't make a move to collect the bounty on Han. Sure, Vader hadn't doubled the price yet, but Jabba did have a reward posted I'm sure.

Maybe 4-LOM shouldn't have been there just as a fan-wank?
Was that 4-LOM for sure, though? The droid doesn't have the red marking on 4-LOM's chest, so it could just be a random droid. The droid is shown following the heroes into the Imperial factory, but doesn't appear once they're all inside, so it's unclear if he's roughed up in the scuffle. It's also interesting to see that the same (or a similar) droid appears in the included preview pages for the Darth Vader comic along with Boba, Dengar, and IG-88, so if it's 4-LOM, he's definitely getting around.

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
There's nothing in ESB that states that was the first time Luke and Vader had met face-to-face, so what would be the continuity issue? Based on previews posted on the official site, it seems Luke takes Ben's advice and runs, so like Tycho, I doubt they'll fight.
As long as Luke runs away before any real confrontation occurs, then it won't affect much in ESB. I guess it could be like a bit of a cat-and-mouse game between Luke and Vader and each near encounter would simply serve to feed Vader's obsession with finding Luke and investigating his past and eventually discovering that he is his son.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Interestingly, that's just what the original Marvel run did: have Vader appear but not get too close to mess with the as-yet-unknown "Star Wars II" plot. Then do the same thing until the 3rd film came out. After 1983: strangeness ensued in the series.

Oh, and the new #1 was pretty decent. My SPOILERS?

- Threepio just looking at the blaster was priceless
- Surprise, surprise! EVERYONE'S got Lando's disguise (must be a common guard outfit?)
- Luke's mind trick attempt was funny, but his skills with the saber seemed to come outta nowhere
- last panel was certainly a "tune in next week," but you just know it'll be anti-climactic

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I forgot to mention, there will be two other SW titles: Darth Vader (out in Feb.) and Princess Leia (out in Mar.). Issue #2 of the regular series is out in another couple of weeks (wonder if it'll be the same as DV).

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Star Wars #2 will be out next Wednesday, February 2, and Comic Book Resources has a preview with SPOILERS.

So apparently Luke and Vader actually do cross swords here! It seems Vader does recognize the saber, since he points out that Obi-Wan gave it to Luke. I guess there's no reason for him to think that Obi-Wan would pass the lightsaber to his son, but just some random Jedi pupil. This explains how Vader knows that Obi-Wan was training Luke when he mentions it a few times in ESB. However, this doesn't say why Vader doesn't recognize Luke as the pilot who destroyed the Death Star, especially if the Force was so strong with the pilot and this punk kid here was trained by Obi-Wan. Maybe this encounter is when he starts to piece it all together.

I love that they're continuing the action figure covers with Han—I'll really have to pick up the #1 Luke now.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Star Wars #2 will be out next Wednesday, ...

I love that they're continuing the action figure covers with Han—I'll really have to pick up the #1 Luke now.
That's the variant I bought for the second issue. I doubt I'll continue buying the book; I may wait for trade paperbacks in the future. The story was okay; Luke vs. Vader, you'll just have to read for yourself... before any spoilers from me (not really much of that anyway, IMO). Han calling him "Artoo" sounded out of character; his insults towards Threepio were more consistent.

Princess Leia #1 and #2, according to the promo at the back, are BOTH out in March. Hmm. I wonder if Marvel will Wolverine-ize Vader in his own book, kind of how Boba Fett got overexposed.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Picked up the action figure variant of DV #1; I really am diggin' these ones. Story was so-so (it did connect to the new Marvel SW series in a couple panels), but there were some other fan-fiction-esque lame parts.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
SW #2 was more good fun, wrapping up the story started in #1, and I found myself really, really enjoying DV #1. No variant covers for either of these for me. It's very cool that these stories work together, with SW following the more lighthearted adventure of the Rebels with DV giving the dark side perspective. SPOILERS for both follow.

I like how they're slowly drawing out Vader finding out about Luke. He still doesn't realize that Luke is his son, but he recognizes the saber and connects the rebel on the moon to the X-wing pilot that destroyed the Death Star.

It seems that DV will go a long way toward explaining why Vader is in a different position in the Empire between ANH and ESB; Palpatine really underlines his failures here and wants to make sure that Vader doesn't fail again.

I liked the nods to Vader being uncomfortable on Tatooine, and it seems like this is his first return trip since returning Rotta to Jabba during the Clone Wars. Did he actually kill another tribe of Tuskens at the end, or was that just his imagination? There were smoke clouds during his conversation with Boba, but it seemed like he teleported to the middle of a Tusken camp at the end.

I really liked the character moments, but yes, it could very easily veer into fanwank territory. Boba's Wookiee sidekick toes the line between awesome and ridiculous – he doesn't have an oh-so-stylish flat top, but maybe it's Snoova?

It was cool to see the Jedi Temple being used as Palpatine's Imperial Palace, which was also discussed in James Luceno's Tarkin. This issue referenced the Crymorah crime syndicate, which also appeared in Tarkin as well as the unfinished TCW story reels (if I were a betting man, I'd wager they were originally designed for the live-action Underworld TV show). I like to see those canon connections.

In other canon news, Tagge lives! Wookieepedia says that the old SW.com databank established Tagge's death in the destruction of the Death Star, but here Palpatine says that Tagge retreated to his fleet and that Vader must serve under him.

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
I thought Darth Vader #1 was pretty good. Seeing the previews of Darth Vader in Jabba's Palace was a bit eye-roll worthy initially, but it was written fairly well, I guess. I did like the line about how Sith didn't waste their time on mindtricks, like the Jedi did, as Vader went straight for the Force choke on Jabba.

My biggest problem with the issue was with the art. It relied almost too heavily on photo-reference to the detriment of the storytelling. I love using photo-references as much as the next artist, but they can become a crutch if used too much. In fact, I suspect that many of the panels were simply traced over screenshots taken from ROTJ or various promotional photos (since most comic book art these days is created digitally, this is super easy to do). I think I would have preferred an artist who focused on storytelling and not so much on photorealism.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I now have 4 different action figure variant covers (Luke, Vader, Han, and Leia), with the #1 issue of the limited series of Princess Leia. It's okay, with a different take on Leia. I think I'm done with SW comics for a while.

p.s. Books as the subject for my 13,000th post? Yeah!

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Since my last post, Marvel has released Darth Vader #2, Princess Leia #1, and Star Wars #3. Light SPOILERS for all three follow.

DV 2 dropped the searching-for-Luke plot almost entirely, focusing on a mission to capture anti-Imperial pirates. I liked the use of the R4 droid, but I can't remember anything particularly outstanding about this issue. It was fun to see Vader on a smaller-scale mission.

PL 1 introduces Marvel's third SW book and the first mini-series, and the artwork is a completely different, more cartoony style than the other books. Here, Leia is determined to round up and protect the survivors of Alderaan. Evaan is the Alderaanian woman and Rebel pilot who tags along with Leia, and her deference towards Leia is an angle we haven't really seen before now. They added Evaan and several black Rebels to the Yavin IV throne room, so it's interesting to see how they're adding more diversity to SW in the new canon. They also added a statue of Bail and Breha Organa to the throne room, which is a nice touch, but it's a little odd for Leia (even for someone they call the "Ice Princess") to only individually acknowledge the death of her parents and not the countless obliterated Alderaanians and Rebels who died in the Death Star assault. It makes sense to honor Bail as one of the founders of the Rebel Alliance, but she could have said a few words for the others. At one point, she refers to Captain Antilles as if he's still alive; Wedge shows up later in the issue, so she's not talking about him. Am I misreading this part, or did Raymus somehow survive?

SW 3 continues the weapons factory story. It offers some nice action, but it doesn't really cover any new story ground. If the SW issues had come out closer together, it might have felt a little stronger, but at this point it feels a little bit like a TV show arc that got spread out over too many weeks. The Imperials utilize tanks that look a lot like reinforced AATs, which is cool to see; for all the anti-PT fans talk about how this is Lucasfilm moving away from the prequels, I do appreciate how many references and connections they keep making to them, making the galaxy feel more unified.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Princess Leia sounds like an interesting book, but I'm going to be cautious on what I buy from this series for a long while as I just don't have faith yet in Marvel's approach, they need to find their legs. Plus, I hate that Marvel interrupts page flow with ads.

That said, I did put SW: Kanan on my pull list for its April release. Since it's establishing a new-canon character that I already like, and it's someone who actively worked on the character's progress during the show (it's written by Greg Weisman, producer of Rebels season 1), I don't think it's as much a risk.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I concur about the Kanan comic.

Dark Horse started putting adds in their comic book pages in the later years. They used to avoid it, I think. (I just haven't opened my older comics in a while).

I don't trust Evaan. Maybe it's the royalty thing, but she seems to be the one who might be "Imperial." Maybe she made a deal with the Empire to save her parents or something?

JabbaJohn, I caught the Antilles thing too. I think it's an error. Wedge is around post-Yavin, and he would have been there pre-Yavin for a bit. But he was not yet a captain, or important. That's post-Yavin (and still not yet a captain, which is more post-Hoth I think).

I don't have Darth Vader 2 yet, but it started interesting. Yet I'm surprised if he fought Luke, why he doesn't immediately suspect he's his son - on top of the Obi-Wan connection. Luke would even look like him (Anakin, pre-Mustafar). OK. Padme was made to look pregnant for her funeral, but seriously? Vader has to immediately start wondering about it (if only for one panel in the comic book).

I also don't have Star Wars 3 yet. But surprised that Vader didn't kill Chewie with a Force choke immediately after the sniper shots, clearly from a Wookiee. (Not that this can happen, but the attempt would be foiled somehow, yet an attempt should be made).

Still can't believe Darth Vader wouldn't suspect Luke of being his son - at least in an after-the-battle-thought.

Like comic books used to, Marvel should bring back a letters column and have internet boards (maybe they do?) where they tolerate complaints. Feedback is good.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
IDW doesn't put ads in their floppies, and I don't think Archie comics put ads in their higher-end books but I could be mistaken. It's pretty stupid though, these ads can't be gathering that much money, they're poorly targeted and they would do just as well at the front or back because nobody is actually going to pay much attention to them. With floppies now at $4 a pop, it's obvious ad revenue isn't where the bread is being buttered.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Which is odd and sorta stupid. Editors refer to the copy in magazines and (especially) newspapers as the filler between the ads.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Kanan #1 is out today; last week was Darth Vader #3, and before that was Princess Leia #2. SPOILERS for all three follow.

PL 2 has the ladies going to Naboo to round up some more Alderaanians. Leia thinks she sees a stained glass portrait of Queen Amidala looking at her; maybe it was a Force thing. This series is fine, but not my favorite of the bunch. Leia's kind of acting like a spoiled brat, and Evaan is wasting a great opportunity to introduce a cool lady pilot but acts more like a handmaiden who does whatever Leia wants.

DV 3 was pretty much a straight-up Indiana Jones homage, with Dr. Aphra taking Dr. Jones' place. It's a lot of fun, and I'm interested to see how Vader acts on Geonosis. His memories of Geonosis probably aren't as dark as his memories of Tatooine, but it's still where he lost his arm and where the Clone Wars started and where Padmé confessed her love to him, so that could be a trip with a lot to explore. I appreciate that, between this and Tarkin, they're making use of the Separatist equipment and showing how it could still be used during this era, since even if it shut down it obviously didn't just vanish into thin air. Anyway, DV 3 is a lot of great fun.

Kanan #1 is actually really great. Greg Weisman wrote it, and it feels like it could have been a great episode of The Clone Wars. There's a very clever passing reference to Depa Billaba's EU backstory that makes this whole old canon vs. new canon business a little fun. Kanan (er, Caleb) mentions that Depa is on the Jedi High Council, which doesn't jibe with what we see in ROTS. Depa is on the Council in TPM and AOTC (by virtue of that film reusing some of TPM's background footage for the Council scene), but there are 12 different members in ROTS. Maybe she was the one who Anakin replaced, and she's still technically on the Council with Anakin just acting as Palpatine's representative? I don't know, but this is the kind of slip-up they really should be working to avoid in the new canon. Barring that, it's a great read, and I'm more excited about this series than I thought I'd be.