Dressing a Galaxy

Aug 16, 2001
Los Angeles
The kids, wife, and I popped down the 101 this afternoon to finally take a look at the exhibit. Very cool. I swear I didn't recognize half the outfits that Padme supposedly wore. That chick changes clothes more often than Stevie Nicks.

It was a bit smaller than I expected, but fun nonetheless. December 4th is another Fan Appreciation day apparently, complete with a costume contest. I'll think about going (and maybe throwing dignity to the wind and dressing up!)

Exhaust Port

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 2, 2002
Sea World of Ohio
www.cbscoaches.com
So I'm late to the game here but I received Dressing a Galaxy for my birthday and just finished reading it so here's my brief review.

I'm a sucker for coffee table books and there have been a few great SW/ILM books over the years. I really think they put together a great collection of pictures and insights to the creation of the costumes. I'm by no means no much about textiles and I still found the book to be very interesting. I was impressed at the detail of workmanship despite that each costume was being used for a movie and wasn't meant to be showcased on screen, they are all just props. The pictures were amazing and really captured the characters and costumes well. I was suprised to learn that these pictures were taken ONLY after the scene in which they were used was shot. I always imagined some big day of playing dress up where they took pictures of each actor in every costume they wore in the movie. Interesting.

Obviously the financial gloves were off for the costume budget especially for Padme. I did notice that this book just about covers the rise and fall of big screen costuming. It left me with the impression that this skill (like model making) could disappear as CGI takes over even actor and costume creation. Too bad.

Books like these are great examples of how much of a preservationist GL is. The amount of cataloging and archiving that he has performed is outstanding and that he shares it with the rest of us is even better. There are so many other SciFi movies that I would love to have even 5% of the coverage that GL provides for SW. Such a shame too because all that information is lost forever.

As someone else here had mentioned the picture index at the end was great. It would have been nice if the pictures were larger though. The amount of pictures was an indication of how much information was left out of this book. Obvoiusly Padme's wardrobe was the biggest item in the movies but so many other characters, costumes, stories were left out. It was a bit sad to see how many of the characters were CGI so no actual costume exists.

I would like to see something like this for the OT costumes as well but even that probably wouldn't be enough to satisfy the SW fans. I highly recommend this book.

Apr 28, 2013
I've had my eye on this book for a while. I have an Amazon card and might use it toward this book.

Love the behind-the-scenes pix in a lot of these books.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
In the same vein, SW: Costumes looks awesome, from a quick look-through. Some ne'er-before-seen photos of on-set and behind-the-scenes stuff.
New interviews provided some new insights, dispelled some rumors. Close-up shots of the displayed costumes were excellent (there are some phrases and stickers from ILM with in-jokes put on them).