DVD/Blu-Ray + Bonus Disc Comments?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Anybody else buy this indy flick to watch once or twice, then store away like a saber in a box? ;)

I still have some of the features to view on the bonus disc, plus the film itself (with finger near the pause button, of course), but it's been quite nice. Liked the John Williams score one, and the long "secrets" piece.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Did anyone get the Target version? If so, what is it exactly that the Target blu-ray has that the standard edition (got mine from Amazon) does not?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Mine is from Target (which I think had a poster? or was that a book with a poster? not sure). It was in a cardboard package, not a jewel case. No idea how it is different.

In case anyone wasn't certain whose hand it was, an on-set behind-the-scenes part showed Mark Hamill in his Jedi robes filming the mechanical-hand-on-R2 scene from the vision.

An interesting comment about how the Force was awakened, NOT just from Rey, in the film (can't recall which feature it was, or who said it, sorry).

Local superfan Obi-Shawn was briefly seen in the Force For Change feature.

Loved all the focus on the actors and puppeteers who truly are unseen heroes (or villains, or just aliens) in the Creatures one.

The 'Xir

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 20, 2001
Da' Cuse
Visit site
Just bought reg movie. Been watching alot of the bonus stuff on youtube!

Think I found something no one has mentioned tho, to my knowledge(maybe its old news). However, theres a break down of Reys vision on youtube and the creator of the video pauses the scene where she opens the Chest containg Vader/Lukes lightsaber, and I was like...

HOLY CR*P! So, has anyone else noticed the Japor Snippet Necklace Anakin gave Padme right below the Lightsabre in the wooden chest?!!! They paused that scene for so long, it was the only reason I was able to see the necklace otherwise it just blends in with everything else. Awesome! Not sure it has any meaning other than lineage tho. Guess that makes Maz the Uber collector within the SW universe. ha ha! ;)

Heres a link to the video if ya wanna check it out. Its decent. Oh and just the regular force vision, heard its extended on Blu-ray(not sure if thats true but).

The Force Awakens: Secrets of Rey's Vision

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
HOLY CR*P! So, has anyone else noticed the Japor Snippet Necklace Anakin gave Padme right below the Lightsabre in the wooden chest?!!! They paused that scene for so long, it was the only reason I was able to see the necklace otherwise it just blends in with everything else. Awesome! Not sure it has any meaning other than lineage tho. Guess that makes Maz the Uber collector within the SW universe. ha ha! ;)
I'm not so sure that's the necklace. I see a small object below the saber in the box that's similar in color, but the shape looks wrong and the markings aren't clearly visible. It may be a case of me seeing what I want to see though, but I do have both an in-universe and real world ideas on why it isn't the necklace. In terms of the real world, I feel like the TFA crew tried very hard to avoid anything that would remind audiences too much of the PT. I suspect this is one of the reasons for the decision to move the Republic's capitol off of Coruscant; because they didn't want to take us back to a planet we've only seen in the PT and the Special Editions (i.e., not "real" Star Wars).

In universe, I always assumed that they cremated Padmé. Her funeral procession appears to be heading to the same gazebo where Qui-Gon was cremated in TPM, it's the only funeral we've ever seen in Star Wars (even the Jawas in ANH are put onto a pyre), and Padmé's body bore one of the most important secrets in the galaxy: that the twins had survived. As to that last part, whoever (Bail, Yoda, Obi-Wan) went to such lengths as to make it appear as if Padmé had died without delivering the twins would probably want to ensure that the secret they were working to protect would be safe. Traditional burial, even in a tomb, crypt or vault is no guarantee that the body will be undisturbed. I don't think it beyond belief to think that the Emperor's agents wouldn't be ordered to double check, just to make certain. Cremation makes sense therefore; destroy all of the physical evidence.

The 'Xir

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 20, 2001
Da' Cuse
Visit site
(even the Jawas in ANH are put onto a pyre) // I don't think it beyond belief to think that the Emperor's agents wouldn't be ordered to double check, just to make certain. Cremation makes sense therefore; destroying all of the physical evidence.

Exactly!

However, if a human body is put into a modern day crematorium, the body and pretty much anything they are wearing is incinerated! So what your saying makes sense. Except, when a body is put onto a Pyre, most of the body is incinerated except for the thicker parts of larger bones(ie: femur, humerus) and jewelry often remain! AKA: Darth Vaders' Mask. Even a gold ring, one of the softest metals, often remains maybe with some distortion, and maybe why the snippet didn't look exactly right, though I think it was more just the angle that scene showed it in.
Now for some fun speculation; In-universe, technically we don't know exactly what Japor is, tho I think I read somewhere that its the fossilized remains of a type of wood indigenous to Tatooine. Fossils devoid of water(especially on tatooine) can often remain after such events like forest fires. Star Wars wikia/wookieepedia describes it as a type of ?Ivory wood? which makes no sense cause Ivory is made of bone, and again bone can often remain after cremation. Either instance, now Disney has come in and pretty much wiped out any of the EU explanations of things, so if they want to create an excuse for the survival of the necklace, they can.

Irregardless, even if I'm just seeing what I want to see, it was a fun revelation, and i'll stick with it til disproven, which I guess only JJ could do! We'll see. lol

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
I thought it was the japor snippet at first too, but upon closer inspection, it's not. (Pardon the poor screenshot, but check the Blu-ray and digital HD for a better look.)

Rey saber.jpg

If they try to say it's the burned remains, I suppose that could work, but from a production standpoint it's not supposed to be the same item.

In Marvel's Darth Vader comic, Vader sends Dr. Aphra after Commodex Tahn, who prepared Padmé's body for burial (and reveals that Padmé gave birth to a son before dying, confirming Vader's notion that Luke is his son). They only mention burial, not cremation. These comics passed by the Lucasfilm Story Group, so it's presumably correct.

sith_killer_99

Jedi Commander
Sep 5, 2001
Fort Hood, TX
www.sirstevesguide.com
Please tell me this is all sarcasm.
Mostly. :crazed:

I did buy the digital pre-release release (watched the digital download the night it came out which was a few days before the physical release) and then I found out that Best Buy had the Steelbook exclusive, so yeah, I bought the Steelbook. I'm not planning to buy the Disney Store, Target, or Walmart editions.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I got to experience something today (as Ben Kenobi once mused) I've not heard in a long time, a long time. Since there was a period at school twice as long as the others (due to an on-campus event for upperclassmen only), I played TFA to end the class (it conveniently stopped when Han jumps the Falcon to lightspeed from inside his freighter). Just before Han and Chewie enter their "home" and say the now-famous line, a sophomore whispered to another student, "That's Han Solo." I forget how young they are, and "obvious" details to an old fossil like me are new and exciting to them; if explains why certain lines of dialogue were what they were, I guess.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I purchased the movie but will not take it out of the packaging when I can still see it for $4.50 in the theater. I go pretty much each week after work on Sunday.

So does the menus correspond with the other movie DVDs that have 3 alternate planets? That would be too cool if Episode 7 match the previous ones