First Trailer On Good Morning America on 4/7/2016

Lord Malakite

Jedi Council Member
Sep 30, 2001
Williamsburg, OH
Several commercials have been airing tonight on ABC advertising that the first trailer for Rogue One will debut tomorrow morning on Good Morning America.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Just saw the teaser trailer, which seemed more like a full trailer than a mere teaser, and I must say that it looked good - not sure if it felt like Star Wars, but it looks like a story worth seeing. I particularly liked the piano arrangement of the Star Wars theme. There is much fertile terrain here for Hasbro to cultivate.

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
It's amazing that we got a full 2 minute teaser considering that Rogue One has been shrouded in greater secrecy than Episode 8. All the spoilers I've read seem mostly true.

McQuarrie AT-AT's from Rebels!!!!

The countdown to December 16 as well as Force Friday 2016 begins...

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
I think it looks really promising! It'll be nice to finally see a movie, set in the OT timeframe, that treats the Imperial troopers as a credible threat, not a bunch of morons who can't hit the broad side of a barn. At least I'm hoping that's what we see.

Already there are complaints about yet another female lead character, but I'm completely fine with it as long as it's a good story. For me, a strong female character is sometimes more interesting than yet another heroic-male archetype. I used to only relate to male characters that physically resembled me, but then I turned 10-years-old and was able to open my mind enough to relate to just about any well-written character regardless of their gender, race, or ethnicity.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Here's the link to the trailer.

Wow, this looks pretty awesome!

It's interesting to see OT iconography in the modern style of TFA. From the OT, we see the Yavin temple, X-wings and pilots, a Gonk droid, Imperial guards, stormtroopers, AT-ATs, and the planetary technical readout from Tarkin's screens. I also noticed the same RP-GO droid from TFA (called R5-X2 on the figure package, and based on R5-X3 from TPM) chillin' at the Yavin base.

Also very cool to see Mon Mothma. It's difficult to tell if it's Genevieve O'Reilly, who played her for her (mostly deleted) appearance in ROTS. (EDIT: EW and Pablo say it's her. Neat!) But it's nice to see elements from ESB and ROTJ work their way into the pre-ANH story, and Mon Mothma is already playing a bigger part in the comics and novels, so this is cool. I love me some Bail Organa so I hope Jimmy Smits returns at some point, especially since this is directly before ANH, though I bet Bail is on Alderaan or Coruscant during this time.

AND BEN MENDELSOHN'S WHITE CAPE!! Star Wars is always better with capes, and this one's a doozy. :D

It's also great to see a tropical beach planet, especially after they didn't introduce any new planet types to TFA.

I have a feeling that "What will you become?" moment is just Jyn disguising herself as an Imperial, but she could defect. I got a definite Ezra vibe from her whole story.

It looks like the droid following Jyn and Diego Luna's character has the "OII" on his back that the stormtroopers have, so he's probably Imperial.

As for the Rebels connections, I'm guessing we'll see those shadow troopers on the show this season. I doubt we'll see Hera flying alongside the pilots, but I bet some RO characters will show up in the series. If Donnie Yen's character is blind, maybe he'll show up to help teach Kanan?

The trailer also includes more piano theme music, which is standard practice for trailers these days. I love the mix of the Imperial March and Force Theme at the end!

bigbarada said:
Already there are complaints about yet another female lead character, but I'm completely fine with it as long as it's a good story.
Hiring an actress who looks like Daisy Ridley to play the lead in another Star Wars film that doesn't continue the story of TFA might be confusing to general audiences. I wonder if that's why they had her say her name (Jyn Erso?). Diego Luna also looked a little like Oscar Isaac at first.

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
Another thing that gives me very high hopes for this film is the Stormtrooper helmets appear to be based on the ANH/ESB design and not the ROTJ design. It's that kind of attention to detail that I want to see and makes me think that the people working on this film are actually Star Wars fans.

One of my biggest pet peeves about the Special Edition changes was Lucas sticking a bunch of ROTJ Stormtroopers into ANH and expecting the audience not to notice or care.

At first the AT-ATs looked a little strange, but after examining the screenshots, they are clearly a different model.

Oh yeah and not a single lightsaber or lightsaber sound effect in the entire trailer. Could this be the first Star Wars film that never features a lightsaber? I kind of doubt it, but that would be beyond awesome.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Oh yeah and not a single lightsaber or lightsaber sound effect in the entire trailer. Could this be the first Star Wars film that never features a lightsaber? I kind of doubt it, but that would be beyond awesome.
I think there's some guy looking for the lost plans who has been known to use a red lightsaber...

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
I think there's some guy looking for the lost plans who has been known to use a red lightsaber...
True, but my idea on that is Vader isn't just going to whip out his lightsaber for every confrontation. If he's going up against non-Jedi, non-Force-sensitive troopers, well that's what his Stormtroopers are for. He's not going to dirty his hands fighting a bunch of unremarkable grunts unless he absolutely has to. Even then, he's going to use Force-chokes and Force-pushes before ever igniting his saber. Look at the OT, Vader never even unhooks his saber from his belt unless he's facing Obi-Wan or Luke.

So, if they manage to feature Darth Vader in this film without ever showing him using his lightsaber, then I will be extremely impressed with their storytelling restraint. However, this is a Star Wars movie and a Star Wars movie is nothing without merchandising and, since there are lightsaber roleplay toys to be sold, the chances of that are highly unlikely.

Also, I'm already seeing the speculation that the female lead character might be Rey's mom.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Oh, God, don't tell me Maul is in this, too.

lol
Naw, they're saving him for Episode XII. :D

bigbarada said:
True, but my idea on that is Vader isn't just going to whip out his lightsaber for every confrontation. If he's going up against non-Jedi, non-Force-sensitive troopers, well that's what his Stormtroopers are for. He's not going to dirty his hands fighting a bunch of unremarkable grunts unless he absolutely has to. Even then, he's going to use Force-chokes and Force-pushes before ever igniting his saber. Look at the OT, Vader never even unhooks his saber from his belt unless he's facing Obi-Wan or Luke.
It will be interesting to see how he's utilized. Marvel's Vader Down has him in "god mode" against a bunch of Rebel soldiers, just annihilating them with his lightsaber and powers. But that's also when he's alone and backed into a corner, and he may not be so desperate in Rogue One. He also uses his saber in Rebels, but we've mostly seen him hunting Jedi, so it makes sense there. I bet Rogue One will focus more on the Rebel characters and how they may or may not survive against this monster with powers beyond their comprehension.

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
I could have sworn at one point that I heard that this movie was touting itself to be the first Star Wars movie without a lightsaber. Because of that I just assumed we wouldn't even see Vader, though there's no reason we couldn't.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Looks alright, although the "This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel" line is a bit of a stinker, very modern and silly, and playing her up in the TIE Pilot uniform at the end as some twist feels dishonest as it's probably just a disguise. Also, apparently normals don't know that it's a TIE Pilot uniform... pfft, tourists.

The AT-ATs look mainly like ROTJ AT-ATs but with no chin guns and thicker cladding on the side.

Forest Whitaker sure is going all out with his silly faces and Samurai voice.

If you say "no lightsabers", don't have a guy with a staff wielding it against Stormtroopers like a sword, that's just a "sticksaber". :p

They clearly put a lot of energy into getting the look of the ANH era right, hopefully they put as much effort into the script as well so it'll feel right as much as it looks the part.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Looks alright, although the "This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel" line is a bit of a stinker, very modern and silly, and playing her up in the TIE Pilot uniform at the end as some twist feels dishonest as it's probably just a disguise. Also, apparently normals don't know that it's a TIE Pilot uniform... pfft, tourists.

The AT-ATs look mainly like ROTJ AT-ATs but with no chin guns and thicker cladding on the side.

Forest Whitaker sure is going all out with his silly faces and Samurai voice.

If you say "no lightsabers", don't have a guy with a staff wielding it against Stormtroopers like a sword, that's just a "sticksaber". :p

They clearly put a lot of energy into getting the look of the ANH era right, hopefully they put as much effort into the script as well so it'll feel right as much as it looks the part.
I really don't recall too many "taglines" from SW previews/trailers, so I agree with its cheesy nature.

No love for the trooper with the moves? TRAITOR!!

By script, do you mean "the order and number of CGI items"?

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
I bet my opened Monkey-Faced Leia that the scene of her in the TIE Pilot duds is her in disguise, or possibly a flashback. (Mon Mothma doesn't mention possible Imperial ties, but the charges against her could stem from her defecting.) But Disney knows that there was huge debate over whether Finn was really a Stormtrooper, and are trying to repeat this buzz with Rogue One.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Trailer looks great. Looking forward to seeing the movie. My only concern is that she seems to have taken the place of Kyle Katarn. I was hoping they would keep him in the new canon. Maybe he will show up someplace eventually.
Sorry to post the spoiler for you, but Kyle Katarn was Luke's spouse and birth parent of Rey. SW universe is magical.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Trailer looks great. Looking forward to seeing the movie. My only concern is that she seems to have taken the place of Kyle Katarn. I was hoping they would keep him in the new canon. Maybe he will show up someplace eventually.
This article is a fun look at the different depictions of how the Rebels stole the Death Star plans in Legends, and how they tried to make them fit together.

I've seen a lot of people mentioning Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors (whose name doesn't sound dissimilar to Jyn Erso), which is interesting given that Dark Forces' depiction was simply the game's first mission, largely unrelated to the rest of the plot.