Force FX Sabers finally getting removable blades

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
http://www.toyark.com/news/star-wars-toy-news-3/vintage-cardbacks-and-fx-lightsabers-with-removable-blades-2208/

The image appears to be from a Hasbro powerpoint presentation, and while it doesn't show one of these new FX sabers, it does talk about them, clearly mentioning the removable blade feature.

I have to say, I've been waiting a while for them to pull this off, especially after customizers have come up with great ways to do it on their own. That said, I probably won't buy a lot of these, maybe just Vader & Luke, but I like that they're keeping it fresh.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
I still don't have any of the Force FX sabers (due mainly to the cost) but I do eventually want one, so hopefully these ones work and look good and I might be a little more tempted.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
IMO, every SW fan should own at least 1 of these. They are the best. Real metal, accurate hilts, authentic sounds, LED blades that ladder up and down, swing and crash sensors. For $100 new, and conventions often have secondary market pricing.

Removable blades will make these super cooler though.

jonthejedi

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 1, 2002
Glen Burnie, MD
Visit site
Have to chime in with sithkiller & JediTricks...I only own two(Vader's red & Luke's Ep. IV Blue/white...they are continually the one collectible(hands-on/hands/down) that my son & all his visiting friends want to see & play with. They are the most iconic from the saga to me.

nohagent

Jedi Initiate
Apr 29, 2002
California
Visit site
I bought them all up until the yoda release. They were the cheaper (and cooler) alternative to the other master replica hilts. I have them displayed in my game room, made a special holder reminiscent of a pool cue stick holder with mirrors. Pretty cool to turn em all on for light but of course if it wasnt for the self power off feature the hum would get annoying.

sith_killer_99

Jedi Commander
Sep 5, 2001
Fort Hood, TX
www.sirstevesguide.com
I bought them all up until the yoda release. They were the cheaper (and cooler) alternative to the other master replica hilts. I have them displayed in my game room, made a special holder reminiscent of a pool cue stick holder with mirrors. Pretty cool to turn em all on for light but of course if it wasnt for the self power off feature the hum would get annoying.
LOL

That's pretty cool. I would like to get more of the FX sabers, eventually, and maybe do something similar.:D

BTW, I take the Darth Vader saber every year for Halloween and it's always a hit.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
A pool cue holder! Why didn't I think of that? I've been looking for the holder some small company made for the FX sabers, held 5 or 6 of them (I have 6 now, so that's exactly what I'm looking for), but couldn't find it. I am going to try to remember to hit the sporting good section of WM next time I'm there and look for a cue holder that holds the base and the blade, should work for a holder that holds at the midsection. Thanks for the idea!

Ando

Jedi Apprentice
Jul 29, 2008
Portland, OR
It's about time they got around to doing this. I wonder exactly how they are going to do it exactly.

My guess, and this is how I would have done it, is make the connection point a simple "bayonet" style attachment like a industrial controls type LED or lamp assembly that's attached to the bottom of the blade assembly and you insert it into the housing, push down slightly, and twist to lock it in.

I would also have a cord grip style seal at the top of the hilt where the blade exits that you would just twist slightly to seal the hilt (and all of the electronics) and further lock the blade assembly into the handle.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
My guess is a wide plug, like a 1/4" guitar amp plug but with more connections along the shaft, and a dual-pin, spring-loaded, turn-n-lock system. Since this is a toy though, it may require tooling instead, which would defeat the fun of it IMO. I hope the blades are universal interchangeable, that would be fantastic to have different blades in different hilts.

Ando

Jedi Apprentice
Jul 29, 2008
Portland, OR
My guess is a wide plug, like a 1/4" guitar amp plug but with more connections along the shaft, and a dual-pin, spring-loaded, turn-n-lock system. Since this is a toy though, it may require tooling instead, which would defeat the fun of it IMO. I hope the blades are universal interchangeable, that would be fantastic to have different blades in different hilts.
A universal plug/connector that makes the blades and handles/hilts interchangeable would be pretty keen.

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
I'm only bummed about this because I waited until last year to buy my first f/x saber because I was hoping for this. I bought another a few months ago and so I've got the only two I ever wanted (Vader and Luke V) but I might buy another set! I was thinking about buying the efx collectibles stunt hilts but since they cost almost as much, why not get another f/x one?

Jayspawn

Jedi Commander
Aug 16, 2001
Aurora, CO
www.mrcollectors.com
I'd be totally interested in Vader ones!:yes:
You'd be interested in Vader anything serg! lol ;)

Actually, I could care less if the blades are removable or not. I'm not going to wear a hilt as a costume piece or have it sitting around waiting for action. "Hold on a sec, let me whip out the blade." LMAO! Not a feature I have any use for.

The FX saber hilts are inaccurate to an actual prop replica anyways.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Well, I got the Anakin Ep III Force FX removable blade saber last night as a birthday present.

I posted my initial thoughts about this line back at Comic-Con:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=61&p2_articleid=2986

I asked for the Ep III Anakin because it's one of the Force FX I didn't already have, the Vader is too similar to the existing Vader I have, the Vader saber's blade-removal process was a little more complex, and I wanted to try the covertec-style belt button clip.

In terms of fit and finish, the Anakin saber seems similar to the ones I've seen in the past, but the plastic and vac-metallizing of the activation box is a little cheap and mine has a little chipped off, I don't know if this is common to the Ep 3 Anakins. The metal band for the box is a duller color than the movie version, but the pics I've seen of the older MR and Hasbro versions of the Ep 3 Anakin look the same, so it seems to be a design choice.

The saber handles the same as all the others, the removable blade system has removed none of the quality. I haven't compared hilt sizes yet, but it's pretty trim like most prequel sabers. The blade looks as good as ever, bright and straight, not much in the way of dark spots. The battery system works the same as Obi-Wan TPM's, although it tries to spit out 1 of the AAA batteries - luckily the outer collar controls that.

Transforming it into a hilt replica is easy and looks sharp with the emitter plug installed. The belt clip is mostly plastic but has a metal plate to hold the button itself which is a nice touch, it looks decent and performs nicely, it's quite the fun addition and really sets this level of Force FX apart, it becomes nearly the perfect lightsaber experience, both an awesome blade and a wearable prop replica. The clip is taller than the covertec, that was a narrower rectangle, this is a taller square version with a nice release, the taller box (same width) makes for a little more stability.

All in all, I'm pretty darn happy with it.

EDIT: Just read a review from someone who has the previous versions, says visually identical minus a tonal difference in the bronze elements, so the plastic of the box is SOP which is good to know. Says the sounds are slightly different from the previous, I'll have to compare to the Luke ESB which is the basis for all of 'em, but that'll be later.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Thanks to StarWarsShop's three-day 25% off sale, and the fact that I've been making some good dough at the newspaper, I ordered the Anakin version tonight (their list price was the somewhat high $129.99, but after the discount and shipping, it totaled around $115 which I think is pretty good). I can't wait to get this bad boy.

The Space Outlaw

Force Sensitive
I really want to get one of these, but I can't decide if I want any of the ones out now. I haven't been able to afford a saber yet, but after Christmas I expect to, so I'm putting some thought into this. What I really want is a Luke VI; that's always been my favorite, but I suspect it'll be quite some time before they produce a removable-blade version. Maybe I'll get a Vader.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Right now on HasbroToyShop, if you use FAMILY2010 you get 25% off, and everything over $50 gets free shipping, so with that the new saber would be $89.99 plus whatever sales tax they might charge you (here it's around 10% so that'd be $99 out the door for a removable blade saber).