Force Link 2.0 - die in a fire

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I picked one up on sale for $4.25, the first one I've seen that wasn't at least $15, mainly so I could experience the tech cheaply since I have 3 vehicles and 5 figures that use it.

The update process is trash, and is ruinous to your batteries - both in the toy and in your mobile device. Hasbro should be sued for selling this thing at $30. They're sending me a new one, they claim the app will still update the device after the June 30th 2019 cutoff date mentioned in small print on the bottom of the package, but I don't hold out hope.

I got the update that has all the Force Link 1.0 stuff, so I can make those toys work with it, but the Solo Landspeeder and driver are a no, the update for those just sits at 100% not prompting the next step to make the gauntlet go into update mode. Hasbro's help information is of no use at all and their customer support doesn't have any additional answers.

Pros:
- makes the TIE Silencer light up very nicely, way better than my phone's NFC did.
- audio is clear
- the included figure is ok enough

Cons:
- "Firmware Update Required"
- It doesn't really connect well with the Probe Droid, A-wing, or TIE Silencer when using it as advertised, the chips in those are too far from the reader when you hold the toys normally
- Updating doesn't work well, it's a nightmare even when it does work
- The app is beyond trash, one of the worst interfaces I've ever seen, and massive
- It destroys your batteries
- Naturally they stopped supporting it

In conclusion, avoid this like the plague even at $4.25.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
I saw your thread title and wondered what tragedy happened in the SW world. Turns out, there was one. Yikes. Good thing I read this, as I was JUST about to get one of those "mobile devices."

In seriousness, I was considering getting one on sale. No need now.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
The problem is not the mobile device, it's Hasbro. They have an awful operating system in this thing and in their app, and the data transfer is via bluetooth which is a very low-bandwidth wireless communication system. They should eat a shoe.

Dang, $3? Now I feel like a clown for paying $4.25! ;) Where did you find them at that price?

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Han Solo is 2.0 version.

I received Hasbro's replacement today, points for promptness, but points deducted for packaging as it was smashed, shipper and item packaging. I haven't bothered to check if it's ok yet because it's not worth my time.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
The toy was intact, and, shockingly it did update properly (the same app still won't update my first version, stuck at 100%). Then the app stopped interacting with the Force Link 2.0 entirely after initially working together. Remember this the next time Hasbro does an app-based toy.

Anyway, the thing works on the Han Landspeeder, figure and vehicle. The vehicle chips are really far from the reader face, though, so intended play barely works at all before it loses the chip and disconnects. I have very medium-sized hands, yet it cannot get that connection in the position shown in instructions. It works if I hold it upside-down, but that limits the motion controls of the Force Link (which are already kinda whacked out).

All in all, this thing was more ambitious than they could deliver, and they've abandoned it.

The OC47150

Force Sensitive
Nov 9, 2018
Just in the last couple of weeks, I put batteries into two Solo force-link do-hickies. My nieces, 7 and 9, are in town and needed something to amuse them. The com-readers were in a box of loose figures I'd been trying to sell.

Only one works. It reads a TLJ Rey figure, and that's it. Keep getting 'firmware update required' message.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
It was a good idea. Boxed collectors didn't have to worry about leaking old batteries in toys kept in storage. Execution was a failure. Personally, I liked making my own toys talk as a child - so they could make political speeches not in the movies. But the pew-pew noises could be cool, like a TIE fly-by.