Free Comic Book Day

DarthQuack

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 25, 2004
Albany
My brother is wanting to sell off all our Spider-Man comics....we've got the entire run of Web, Spectacular(sans about 10 issues), and Spider-Man....I might just give him money....I dont wanna get rid of them.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
DarthQuack, since this is the FREE Comic Book Day thread, you are now required to give away said comics to anyone who's read your post. My addresss is 123 Fake St. Springfield, XQ 74200. :D

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
BigB, this Saturday, participating comic stores will have around 10 books, specially printed for this event, available for free distribution. For the most part, they're only half the length or less of regular comic issues.

This year, there will be a Clone Wars comic, a GI Joe/Transformers animated comic, A Green Lantern Blackest Night #0, I believe an Avengers comic and some sort of Simpsons comic.

DarthQuack

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 25, 2004
Albany
So you get just 1 of the 10 or so? Or you can get all of them for free?

And Bel Jam we still have all our Spidey comics :)

Rocketboy

Jedi Commander
Feb 8, 2004
Denying your trespasses
www.myspace.com
It all depends of your local store.
Some stores will have all of the free books. It is also up to the store how many you can have. My store gives up to three free books to the general public, IIRC, but members can have whatever they want. It seems to defeat the purpose of getting non-readers to read comics, but he also gives a ton of 'em to our local libraries.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
There's actually more than ten, but the stores have to pay for them (something like a nickel or quarter per), so I doubt there are any stores ordering all of them. Most stores will let you have one of each.

I agree with the idea, but the major problem I have with it is this: it's supposed to attract and bring in new readers. Trouble is, it's only at comic shops, and they don't advertise it anywhere aside from shops and websites that comic collectors frequent. So it's only preaching to the converted.

Edit: RB posted while I was writing that. That really rather sucks about your store only allowing three total to non-members.

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
Well, when driving home from the airport the other day, I decided to drive through Edwardsville, IL on a whim and I went right past a comic book store right along the highway. So I took the next turn and went back around to the store. It's probably the first comic store I've even seen in over a decade so it was kind of cool to just walk around and they seemed to be making a big deal out of the whole Free Comic Book Day thing.

Pretty nice store and the guy working behind the desk was really helpful (I never thought to ask him about the free comics). Unfortunately it's about 45 minutes to an hour away from me, so I'm just not sure if it's going to be worth the drive.

I actually have to go pick a friend up from the airport tonight, so I might stop by that store again.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
The closest store to me makes it a big hoo-ha: creators signing (I got special soaps from Hygenia from that Who Wants to Be a Superhero? show, by donating to her charity), games, free food, costumed characters (comic, movie, fantasy, etc.), balloons, music, other giveaways. It's good for kids, and decent for adult collectors, too. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

But the way they do it, is you get a ticket, with different logos from the various comics, and you choose which ones you want to get and they punch the ticket. But last year, the one I wanted (can't remember it now) was gone. :mad: There are some other books you can take up to 4 or 5 free, but it seems the main freebies are limited to only 3 IIRC.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Turnout this year seemed less than last year (could be due to colder, rain-possible weather forecast, or fears of flu from being in public), but still nice. I did get the SW:Clone Wars and TMNT 25th Anniv. books I wanted, plus Bongo Comics, Transformers, and GIJoe/TF flipbook. They let you get up to 10 books.

Here are some pics: the guy dressed as Wolverine apparently is a Hero for Hire (i.e. parties/events), and you could pose sitting on a model of a Sentinel, and there were various 501st costumers around (plus the nicest Joker ever, who was courteous and asked politely to get through, instead of just blasting us in the face with a gun :rolleyes: ). There was a Batman bouncy, tables of comic people I did not know at all, experts at CCG and fantasy games. Not bad for our small town. :pleased:

[okay, for some reason, it won't allow me to post the Wolverine pic... will try later]

Last edited:

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
Turnout was less than last year's at 2 stores that I went to. It also seemed less organized than last year.

I got Blackest Night #0, Cars, Clone Wars and GI Joe/Transformers Animated plus I scored some free X-Men Origins swag - a Wolverine dogtag and foam Wolverine claws (kind of like the foam fingers you see at sporting events).

Qui-Long Gone

Jedi Apprentice
May 30, 2005
West Texas
We held our 2nd Comic Book Expo here in Lubbock during the city's Art Festival (which brings in 20,000 people over three days)....we had a good showing and hope to build from it. Here's a photo of me and the kids with Batman! Of course my son was freaked to stand near him, but kept following him all morning! :grin:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I drove past the local comic shop on Saturday, and they seemed to have a good turnout (pretty decent line to get in for the freebies), but I passed on stopping.

Anybody else stop and have a post-able experience at theirs?