Hasbro to crowd-fund Jabba's Sail Barge toy

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
This one seems like a big stretch because they need 5000 backers by April 3rd to commit to $500 each, but they're going to try. The ship is 4 feet long, there's a CAD-model prototype on the page, and it comes with a Jabba the Hutt figure, Vintage-style packaging, a booklet, and regular production updates. The booklet will ship a week after program close, and in theory the vehicle would ship in a year:

https://www.hasbrolab.com/

Try not to break your other arm in excitement, Tycho!

Reactions: Maradona

mtriv73

Jedi Apprentice
Feb 6, 2002
Visit site
When I logged on to see it, 4 people had ordered. By the time I got my order in, I was apparently #20. They're up to 204 with very little time having passed to get the word out. I have a very good feeling about this thing getting green lighted.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
They're at 457 now. This is a lot of money, needs a lot of space, and might be the only avenue to getting a lot of other collector requested Hasbro items (cough cough USS Flagg cough cough) into our hands. I wonder how long the designs for this have been in progress.

Reactions: JediTricks

Droid

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 21, 2003
There is a time where I would have bought this in a heartbeat. But, I have scaled my collection way back. I don't have my skiffs or Sarlacc anymore. I am relieved they did not include Taym Dren-Garen or any other Jabba's Palace/Sail Barge figure I really want.

I hope that it gets enough people and sells. I think it looks neat. I'd like to be in someone's house that has one some time.

I am most excited about the possibilities. Perhaps they will sell premium Tonnika figures some day. An over priced Sim Aloo. This may be a way to get some figures that would die at retail if they ever go beyond vehicles/playsets. Maybe a ten pack of cantina figures including some of the humans like Garouf Lafoe or Rycar Ryjerd.

But continuing with playsets and vehicles, I would definitely pay for a Jabba's Palace throne room playset or a cantina with booths and the distillery.

I would be very tempted to buy a Blockade Runner hallway (though I don't want a blockade runner vehicle).

I'd be tempted to buy a large Carbonite Chamber room that could actually hold as many figures as are in that scene comfortably. I might buy a larger Sandcrawler.

I assume they'll use this as a device to make a Star Wars Death Star possible. Maybe the Emperor's throne room. I'd pass on those.

I wonder if they'll rotate which Hasbro property they do or if there will be only Star Wars or several different lines at once. WIll they consider something big for Transformers, super heroes, G.I. Joe, or Indiana Jones? Star Wars is the only line I'm interested in, but I find the concept of this Kickstarter for big toys from a main stream company fascinating.

In time, will the big items for Star Wars that are allegedly only available through the pre-order turn up in Disney parks?

I am really interested to see how this plays out. I hope they can get the Sail barge to happen or we may not know.

Reactions: Ando

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
I really, really want to support this, but I'm not sure if I can come up with over $500 on such short notice in order to make that happen. Especially after having just bought a new computer three months ago.

DarthBrandon

Jedi Apprentice
Nov 13, 2001
Saint John, N.B. Canada
I would love this as well, however many things come into play. The trip I just booked to the DR. The fact that it's extremely short notice along with the fact that it's about $150.00 dollars overpriced. I can see $350.00 to $400.00 for it no problem, but paying $500.00 up front to fund it to a multi million dollar company really sours my thoughts on this. Seriously folks the BMF Falcon was $200.00 tops 10 years ago, has inflation really gone up that much for a toy. Has it gotten that bad that we the purchasers need to fund the product in advance. I could see this if joe blow down the street was just starting out and needed to get money in advance to start this up, but come on now it's Hasbro with this now. You see all the product sitting on the shelves right now from Rogue 1, The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi. It's not moving because it's crap & the people/collectors know it. This is the reason why they won't do it up front because they don't know their market anymore and they are so out of touch with reality that they think a 4 dollar figure is worth 10 bucks now. They are continuously pricing themselves out of the market. Collectors have scaled back & little Johnny's parents are not going the pay 10 buck plus for a 3 3/4 inch action figure or $250.00 for a playset when it's worth about $100.00 bucks tops. Seriously there guys out there that can 3 print this for the same price and add in whatever extras you want. This is a toy company and to do this type of thing is insulting to consumers. We'll make if you give us $500.00 up front and there must be 5000 of you before we make it. Oh, by the way, you have 2 months; or it's not happening; and if it does it will be 1 year before you get it hehe. Does this sound fair to anyone? I used to spend $5000 a year on this hobby, now Hasbro is lucky to get $250.00 a year from me. I've scaled back a lot over the years ever since the force awakens came out. The Sail Barge & Blockade Runner are two of the big vehicles I want the most, but I'm having a hard time putting my hard earned money up front to a company that makes millions from this. I hope this pans out & everyone can get a chance at this, including Canadian's & European's .

Reactions: Ando

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
Like any mass-produced item, the more of it you make the cheaper it can be sold. This is why the BMF went from $150, in 2008, when it was a wide-release item, to $250, in 2012, when it was a TRU exclusive. Producing a toy to fill thousands of stores allows you to lower the price significantly when compared to producing that same toy to fill less than 600 stores. For something like this Sail Barge, which is essentially "made to order" then it only stands to reason that the price would jump exponentially.

I know it's trendy to say, "Oh Hasbro's a big corporation and they're so greedy!" but there really are logical reasons behind the pricing of these toys that have everything to do with the realities of toy production and nothing to do with greed.

Still, if they had dropped the price to $300 and expanded the commitment quota to 10,000, instead of 5000, then I think a lot of people would have been much more willing to commit.

Also, locking the foreign market out of the crowd-funding is going to severely handicap this project's chance for success.

DarthBrandon

Jedi Apprentice
Nov 13, 2001
Saint John, N.B. Canada
Like any mass-produced item, the more of it you make the cheaper it can be sold. This is why the BMF went from $150, in 2008, when it was a wide-release item, to $250, in 2012, when it was a TRU exclusive. Producing a toy to fill thousands of stores allows you to lower the price significantly when compared to producing that same toy to fill less than 600 stores. For something like this Sail Barge, which is essentially "made to order" then it only stands to reason that the price would jump exponentially.

I know it's trendy to say, "Oh Hasbro's a big corporation and they're so greedy!" but there really are logical reasons behind the pricing of these toys that have everything to do with the realities of toy production and nothing to do with greed.

Still, if they had dropped the price to $300 and expanded the commitment quota to 10,000, instead of 5000, then I think a lot of people would have been much more willing to commit.

Also, locking the foreign market out of the crowd-funding is going to severely handicap this project's chance for success.
Agreed,

$300 and a 10,000 commitment worlwide is much better than $500.00/5000 in the US only. It's almost like they want it to fail so they can say, "well at least we tried, but we told you so".

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
There's pics of the physical prototype model from Toy Fair in the TFG gallery: https://www.theforceguide.com/2018/02/18/toy-fair-lego-photos-2/
It looks pretty nice, and it'll look even better painted.

$2.5 mil to produce this is a lot of coin, doesn't even include shipping. I was on the site before there were backers thanks to Steve's fast typing in the news live update, could have been backer #1, but my coffee table isn't even 4' long, I don't have $500 spare, I don't know where I'd put this, so it'd end up being the final statement on my collection and I just wasn't seeing how I could commit to that. The campaign is up to 878 after 24 hours, it seems like decent momentum from a crowdsourcing perspective, but I'll be honest, I don't see how they're going to quintuple that in the next 44 days - everyone who would be excited enough to scrounge up $500 plus shipping for a giant toy would have done so the minute they heard about it. I hope it does get made so I can see it in person, like a museum piece, but this is too rich for my blood and it's sad - $350 and I would have been there.

Imagine how much this would have been with a retailer taking a cut, $1k?

DarthBrandon

Jedi Apprentice
Nov 13, 2001
Saint John, N.B. Canada
If we had at least some warning with this, then some of us could have made arragements. This short notice and the fact they want $500 from 5000 customers in 45 days is a little insane. I hope it can be produced but seems like a long shot. When the BMF Falcon was announced I had the cash ready and had at least 6 to 8 months to come up with the cash if I didn't. This totally takes the fun out of it for me and I find it insulting that they would take this route.

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
Imagine how much this would have been with a retailer taking a cut, $1k?
If Hasbro could get all the retailers on board, without having to make this thing an exclusive, then I think the production run would be more in the 20,000-30,000 range, or even higher, instead of only 5000. Thus offsetting the retailers' profits, distribution, etc. and would probably have actually lowered the price more into the $300-$350 range. Assuming there was no drop off in quality, of course, which could have taken the price even lower.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
$350 and I would have been there.
Me, too. I refused the incredible BMF in Vintage packaging from TRU several years ago because of its $250 price tag (and because I already had it from the original run at just $125 from WM). That BMF is the one hole in my Vintage Collection vehicles, but to pay $250 for a cool box is just not feasible for me. That said, I wonder if this will have a Vintage style box.

JON9000

Jedi Apprentice
May 24, 2002
Raleigh
Visit site
if I had the space for it, I would pull the trigger. I already feel the regret for not going ahead sinking in. It’s really nice.

DarthBrandon

Jedi Apprentice
Nov 13, 2001
Saint John, N.B. Canada
Me, too. I refused the incredible BMF in Vintage packaging from TRU several years ago because of its $250 price tag (and because I already had it from the original run at just $125 from WM). That BMF is the one hole in my Vintage Collection vehicles, but to pay $250 for a cool box is just not feasible for me. That said, I wonder if this will have a Vintage style box.
Pretty sure they stated Vintage style packaging on the website.

Lord Malakite

Jedi Council Member
Sep 30, 2001
Williamsburg, OH
Limiting it to the US sounds like a logistics issue of Hasbro not being properly set up to deal with the extra costs entailed to ship to foreign countries. You wouldn't believe how expensive it can be. If Hasbro factored those costs into the current asking price of $500 out of 5000 people and opened it up worldwide, one of these Sail Barges would probably come much closer to the $800 range if you lived outside the US and chose to back it.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Limiting it to the US sounds like a logistics issue of Hasbro not being properly set up to deal with the extra costs entailed to ship to foreign countries. You wouldn't believe how expensive it can be. If Hasbro factored those costs into the current asking price of $500 out of 5000 people and opened it up worldwide, one of these Sail Barges would probably come much closer to the $800 range if you lived outside the US and chose to back it.
Shipping isn't included in the $500 pricetag, so it should be up to the buyer whether or not they want to drop that much coin to ship it overseas. That said, I'm not shocked it's US-only, Hasbro's got distribution rights issues with different partners overseas, but as the campaign has stalled just under 1500 backers, it's looking like this was too ambitious for US-only.