Hasbro to crowd-fund Jabba's Sail Barge toy

Devo

Jedi Apprentice
Mar 25, 2003
Ireland
Visit site
Yeah I don't see how it'll happen unless, as I just saw someone suggest on rebelscum, certain e-tailers like BBTS jumped on board. Can they do that?

And that would be just to make the project a go in the first place. What arrangements they could come up with for international customers, if any, would still be up in the air.

Lord Malakite

Jedi Council Member
Sep 30, 2001
Williamsburg, OH
Yeah I don't see how it'll happen unless, as I just saw someone suggest on rebelscum, certain e-tailers like BBTS jumped on board. Can they do that?
Theoretically I don't see why they couldn't if they're crazy enough to take the financial risk and buy them directly off the Haslab site (like all the other backers) only to turn around and re-sell them through their site. When they turn around and sell it on their site though, don't expect it to go for no $500. Just comes down to whether or not they'd think they could make a profit. My my guess is no, so hoping for BBTS to do that is wishful thinking.

Reactions: Devo

Droid

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 21, 2003
If I ran a comic book or other collectible store, I would totally buy one of these as a display piece for the store. Disney should let it be made and sell it as a premium item in one of the fancy stores in the park. They could show you a display piece and once you bought it ship it to your home (for shpping and a Disney convenience fee...)

Devo

Jedi Apprentice
Mar 25, 2003
Ireland
Visit site
Theoretically I don't see why they couldn't if they're crazy enough to take the financial risk and buy them directly off the Haslab site (like all the other backers) only to turn around and re-sell them through their site. When they turn around and sell it on their site though, don't expect it to go for no $500. Just comes down to whether or not they'd think they could make a profit. My my guess is no, so hoping for BBTS to do that is wishful thinking.
Indeed, they'd have a mark-up. Additionally the shipping cost to me would be way above what I'd be willing to pay based on what the NECA Foam Space Jockey from Alien would have cost. Then there'd be customs. Basically getting this shipped to me from the US just isn't an option. My hopes are merely that e-tailers contribute to the 5000 order count Hasbro needs for this to actually go ahead. Then hopefully something can be worked out for internationals.

The e-tailers would essentially be acting as flippers - which we normally hate but in this case, they might be a necessary evil.

Mad Slanted Powers

Jedi Commander
May 20, 2002
Bellingham, WA
www.madslantedpowers.com
Unlike in my younger and more vulnerable collecting years, it's not really the co$t holding me back now as much as its size and the space it would take up, too. It looks wonderful.
It is more than I would normally be willing to pay, and the space is a big issue for me as well. However, it is definitely an item that I would like to have, and I have a year to make the space if it gets made. So, I placed my order on Monday. Currently has 1862 backers with 38 days to go.

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
There is a limit 5 per customer, so I can imagine some of the bigger e-tailers are ordering multiples with the intention of selling them for a huge markup later. If they get multiple employees to commit to the limit of 5, then they could have 10, 15, 20 Sail Barges, or more, on the way (assuming it gets funded). Which could have accounted for that big jump in the numbers during the first few days.

I remember that Sail Barge Petition that went around several years back (when TVC was still going strong and there wasn't a 6" line splitting up the collector base) and, even though there was no upfront financial commitment or geographical restrictions, it still managed to only get about 3000 signatures. So that makes me think that this project is almost destined to fail.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I suppose an etailer could make a name for themselves by selling these in advance to non-US customers with a $75 markup and a guesstimated shipping price (they'd need the shipping from Hasbro to the etailer, then from the etailer to the consumer), then when they had the funds they could pledge on the site. That would push this thing to easily $700 for the non-US customer though, probably more given the 14lb weight. But then the question becomes "what happens to those funds if this doesn't make its goal?" and the answer is that the etailer is taking a risk, may have to ask for that $75 fee for administrative costs either way after returning the customer's money.

Unfortunately, the high pricetag has stalled this thing at 1877, the same number it was last night. I'd love to see a boost in interest, but I think Hasbro aimed $100 too high with this one, it's what kept me away, I neither have the space for it nor the cash, but even if I had the cash I cannot magically make 4' of display space appear in my collection.

Devo

Jedi Apprentice
Mar 25, 2003
Ireland
Visit site
I suppose an etailer could make a name for themselves by selling these in advance to non-US customers with a $75 markup and a guesstimated shipping price (they'd need the shipping from Hasbro to the etailer, then from the etailer to the consumer), then when they had the funds they could pledge on the site. That would push this thing to easily $700 for the non-US customer though, probably more given the 14lb weight. But then the question becomes "what happens to those funds if this doesn't make its goal?" and the answer is that the etailer is taking a risk, may have to ask for that $75 fee for administrative costs either way after returning the customer's money.
Probably a lot more. I'd happily pay $700. Alas I fear the shipping would be truly massive.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/40102

When I add the NECA Alien Space Jockey to my cart on BBTS the cheapest shipping I am offered costs $491.99...on top of the cost of the product. Then customs when it would get to me.

So I cannot get this unless they produce some that are explicitly for shipment within Europe - i.e, they never go to the US . And obviously no one can get it if it doesn't get 5000 US buyers.

There is a limit 5 per customer, so I can imagine some of the bigger e-tailers are ordering multiples with the intention of selling them for a huge markup later. If they get multiple employees to commit to the limit of 5, then they could have 10, 15, 20 Sail Barges, or more, on the way (assuming it gets funded). Which could have accounted for that big jump in the numbers during the first few days.

I remember that Sail Barge Petition that went around several years back (when TVC was still going strong and there wasn't a 6" line splitting up the collector base) and, even though there was no upfront financial commitment or geographical restrictions, it still managed to only get about 3000 signatures. So that makes me think that this project is almost destined to fail.
Yeah. Their timing is questionable. As an international I'm not eligible to buy it anyway but even so I've had to ask myself seriously ''Do I even want this now?'' after having changed my collecting focus over the past few years because there hasn't been anything worthwhile to buy from the 3.75'' line since Mosep Bineed.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I ordered mine and was about in the five hundreds for orders at the time. There is no additional shipping charge and my order was $539 with California tax.

I am really looking forward to this and hope it gets built and other Capital ships in the future like the mon calamari Cruiser or the Invisible Hand.

I always plan to build my own Sail Barge if I had to.

I built my own Blockade Runner and it cost me $750. still have it in like the way the ship turned out but I'm going to buy the space walls and Lighting kits to further improve it. It is 5 ft long. I want a star destroyer not to that scale but 9 feet long. I will build that myself if these things aren't flying.

I don't think Hasbro really wanted to build it but wanted to test us at how much we were willing to commit to it. I hope Star Wars fans surprise them and we get this thing going. The order time and breaking the idea at Toy Fair verses in front of the fans during the summer comic convention shows is a surprising way to go. But Toy Fair gets a lot of attention. maybe they needed to give us a little bit longer lead time to get 5,000 investors but I'm not sure where it's at right now.

The sense of urgency can force people to jump in when they might hang on the fence and watch instead of commit. I never hesitated and was in as soon as it was offered. But I can display almost 50 different unique alien figures which is more impressive than 50 identical Stormtroopers which I saved for a star destroyer someday.

But it's like they dared us to put our money where are whining went. Challenge accepted.

The vehicle might be in the Han Solo movie as well. But the Return of the Jedi scene is so iconic.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Probably a lot more. I'd happily pay $700. Alas I fear the shipping would be truly massive.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/40102

When I add the NECA Alien Space Jockey to my cart on BBTS the cheapest shipping I am offered costs $491.99...on top of the cost of the product. Then customs when it would get to me.

So I cannot get this unless they produce some that are explicitly for shipment within Europe - i.e, they never go to the US . And obviously no one can get it if it doesn't get 5000 US buyers.
Jeeeeeeeeez that's a lot of shipping, that's like "bonded courier who comes to your house and sets it up" level of pricing, that's bonkers.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
FREE SHIPPING!
FREE SHIPPING!

it says so on HasLab's crowdfunder page. Why does anybody want to pay for shipping from a secondary retailer when you can get free shipping now? If we all don't fund the thing now, we won't get it anyway.

and I get it if you don't have the money right now. But I'm not sure where they are at so you might not have to worry about this happening at all

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
The order time and breaking the idea at Toy Fair verses in front of the fans during the summer comic convention shows is a surprising way to go.
It's "Tax-mas" season, when people who get income tax returns will start recieving them. I know Walmart makes a big deal out of this, so it's not too far fetched to think that Hasbro took that into account when deciding on the timing for this project.

Although, I do believe Hasbro really does want to make this toy and isn't just hanging a carrot in front of collectors. Mainly because they've likely already spent several thousands of dollars just getting that digital prototype designed and put together. Sure, it's all done in the computer, but that is some highly specialized work and those toy designers don't work for free.

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
Yeah. Their timing is questionable. As an international I'm not eligible to buy it anyway but even so I've had to ask myself seriously ''Do I even want this now?'' after having changed my collecting focus over the past few years because there hasn't been anything worthwhile to buy from the 3.75'' line since Mosep Bineed.
Yeah, I've always had multiple hobbies and Star Wars toy collecting has taken more and more of a backseat over the years. At this point, I'm thinking that since I've been able to survive 35 years without a Sail Barge, that my life will continue to go on just fine without it.

Lord Malakite

Jedi Council Member
Sep 30, 2001
Williamsburg, OH
On a slightly related topic to the Sail Barge, what is everyone's feelings on the possibility of Haslab offering certain 3.75" or 6" figures through the site at heftier than normal retail and/or exclusive asking price for a limited run on select characters which seem impossible for retail at this point? Like say finishing off the remaining four or so characters ( Slim Aloo, Power Droid, White Bespin Guard with Mustache, Puppet Sy Snootles) from the vintage toys updated as modernized figures, maybe the vintage Droids/Ewok figures (like Vlix) updated as modernized figures, or possibly in overcoming the legal issues for Hasbro to be granted temporary likeness rights for a "one time only" limited run of a Tonnika Sisters two-pack.

Devo

Jedi Apprentice
Mar 25, 2003
Ireland
Visit site
FREE SHIPPING!
FREE SHIPPING!

it says so on HasLab's crowdfunder page. Why does anybody want to pay for shipping from a secondary retailer when you can get free shipping now? If we all don't fund the thing now, we won't get it anyway.

and I get it if you don't have the money right now. But I'm not sure where they are at so you might not have to worry about this happening at all
I'm in Ireland. I can't order it, and if I could the shipping certainly wouldn't be free for me. The reason we were talking about BBTS is because it's been suggested that e-tailers could contribute to the order requirement - merely to get to the 5000 - not because people want to actually order it from BBTS specifically.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I understand and field for the international fans who want this. Yeah it's big bad toy store or other e-tailers try to help with shipping costs that might be nice but hardly something I'd expect from them.

I've never given up on Star Wars 3 and 3/4 in myself. so I have all the stuff to go on a sail barge.

Partially ackowledging my room I never started collecting other stuff accept limited Terminator Transformers. very limited Transformers compared to people here. But I do have a lot. That and I have a lot of Star Trek from all the incarnations before discovery.

I hope they don't use haslab to start overcharging 4 some things that shouldn't cost too much. I remember like Jocasta Nu was $25 i i r c. I did want her but I don't want to go through every obscure character which I would like in my collection at that price.

However, with 6 inch black series I think they could finish the 21 backs if they made separate carded snaggletooth hammerhead and walrus man plus the power Droid and death star Droid but sold them as a group with Greedo carded this way. And now is the time to do it. 2019 will be the 20th anniversary of The Phantom Menace. That's when something like a 6in jar jar and kid Skywalker could be sold this way and not clogged up retailers but complete the sets. Also sebulba who could be an awesome sculpt regardless of whether you are really a fan or not. Are you a fan of the sculpting and great artwork if done right? That might be a larger determination. Perhaps he could have the leather jacket and removable mask and goggles?

BTW they should make vintage style Phantom Menace figures for 6 in this way and not discuss this with reproductions of the red cards. However I really want the episode 1 Obi-Wan Kenobi! The Fig Arts figure looks great but he's too expensive for a 6-inch at $60 or more. And the episode 2 Anakin fig Arts is hugely overpriced on the secondary Market!

I would rather Has Labs main focus Beyond stuff like a star destroyer for the 3 and 3/4 inch figures at something reasonable in size. Although I think the one I designed was going to be 9 ft long if I had to build it myself. That might be 7 ft and I'd have to check my plans but I'm in no position to put the money towards building that now. It would cost a lot because I'd hire somebody else to do it. I'm not the shop guy. But I do design.

Devo

Jedi Apprentice
Mar 25, 2003
Ireland
Visit site
I understand and field for the international fans who want this. Yeah it's big bad toy store or other e-tailers try to help with shipping costs that might be nice but hardly something I'd expect from them.
No I certainly wouldn't expect to get a deal on shipping from them. My only real hope is if Hasbro themselves arrange distribution within Europe. But apparently that won't even be considered unless US orders reach 5000.

By the way they've now added Canada into it. That's something at least.