Hasbro to crowd-fund Jabba's Sail Barge toy

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
On a slightly related topic to the Sail Barge, what is everyone's feelings on the possibility of Haslab offering certain 3.75" or 6" figures through the site at heftier than normal retail and/or exclusive asking price for a limited run on select characters which seem impossible for retail at this point? Like say finishing off the remaining four or so characters ( Slim Aloo, Power Droid, White Bespin Guard with Mustache, Puppet Sy Snootles) from the vintage toys updated as modernized figures, maybe the vintage Droids/Ewok figures (like Vlix) updated as modernized figures, or possibly in overcoming the legal issues for Hasbro to be granted temporary likeness rights for a "one time only" limited run of a Tonnika Sisters two-pack.
I'd have an interest more in the figures; most of the rehashes aren't even good enough lately to warrant a sale to me. And, they don't take up near as much room to store.

DarthBrandon

Jedi Apprentice
Nov 13, 2001
Saint John, N.B. Canada
I would have invested $500.00 if it were the Rebel Blockade Runner in a heartbeat. I just can't drop $650.00 (after exchange) bucks on something right now. It wasn't open to Canadians a week ago, and I just booked a trip to the DR ; plus I just bought a ring for the wife so I'm already out 6 grand. Just can't pull the trigger on this right now. Should anyone want to pick up an extra I'll gladly take it off your hands in a few months once I've made a few more moves so the wife doesn't find out. :)

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I really want one and I put my money in.

It would be a shame if they use the HasLab just to start funding and overcharging for things that could be regularly priced.

For example, THIS YEAR, 2018, they could finish 21 back 6 inch characters like snaggletooth and hammerhead as hammerhead instead of the EU name. You know to recreate Kenner cards, but not the blue leotard, thank you. ;)

Only that should be like a set of the individually carded figures you buy as a group and put out like a GameStop exclusive.

2019 will be the 20th anniversary of The Phantom Menace and this kind of set is the only way a 6 in jar jar and on par kid Anakin won't destroy us but could be offered. I'm really not into that myself actually but I want Obi-Wan from the episode one collection. I'm too cheap to buy the Figuarts, only not too cheap to fund the sail barge and buy Hot Toys. I guess I just think 6 inch should be $20 a pop.

But no I don't want haslab to come in and do that making these figure $60 each too. Figuarts frankly look better and I might get their battle droids anyway. I probably won't like the plastic Hasbro uses.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Hasbro's not doing their part, this is where a traditional crowdfunding campaign backer pushes the PR efforts and perks into overdrive, as every minute takes them further and further away from their goal of success. The problem is that Hasbro doesn't *need* this the way another crowdfunded item does, they could take it or leave it, they're not desperate for the profit or in dire need to make the item. So it's all on the collectors, and the truth is that $500 and 4' of space is too much for many collections, were it not this would have been 90% backed on day 1. Then again, releasing this news at a higher-profile event like SDCC would have garnered more outside attention.

Lord Malakite

Jedi Council Member
Sep 30, 2001
Williamsburg, OH
Hasbro's not doing their part, this is where a traditional crowdfunding campaign backer pushes the PR efforts and perks into overdrive, as every minute takes them further and further away from their goal of success. The problem is that Hasbro doesn't *need* this the way another crowdfunded item does, they could take it or leave it, they're not desperate for the profit or in dire need to make the item. So it's all on the collectors, and the truth is that $500 and 4' of space is too much for many collections, were it not this would have been 90% backed on day 1. Then again, releasing this news at a higher-profile event like SDCC would have garnered more outside attention.
I agree in that they could try harder with pushing the campaign for more mainstream attention in the media. For what its worth though, I have seen it making the rounds on Twitter and Facebook.

Timdanjon

Force Sensitive
Jan 29, 2018
Port Orange, FL
They have to sell 109/110 a day to make the remaining numbers to reach 5000. 22 days left and its at 2587 and that leaves 2413 more backers to even get the min. I hope it takes off but I dont think they gave it long enough.

Lord Malakite

Jedi Council Member
Sep 30, 2001
Williamsburg, OH
Now at 3,566 of their 5,000 backer goal with 9 days to go. I wonder how many people are waiting till the absolute last minute. It looks like it might be close.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
The time in which you typed your last post will be the magic number it needs, MSP!

But I wonder if they have a bottom-line amount below 5K, that would still allow for after-market sales to recoup the profit margin, selling it for more than the $5C price tag.

Timdanjon

Force Sensitive
Jan 29, 2018
Port Orange, FL
I think they are going to do it even if its not quit at 5000 since they have put a lot of time into the video update and actually started making and painting the prototype. I am waiting till the last day to order mine. right now they need to sell less then 1500 so I really think it will get done.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
They have included a vintage carded update to yakface now. It's one of the incentives and JTA had a very good idea to put in the carded mouse droid and the carded salacious crumb. These are very hard to get items.

I backed the barge on day one. I could care less about these things I want to open the barge and set up all my figures on it. But still it's a smart idea to add yakface and the figures JTA suggested.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
A pilot is a great suggestion. It could be an exclusive alien since the pilot controls our expanded universe. This could be a kitbashed figure from old parts with a new head for probably a unique weequay or Skillion, Ishi Tibb, something other than one more Nikto. Maybe even a unique Twi'lek with an eye patch making a one-eyed driver LOL.

I'm not sure if making the figure EU is a good or bad idea. It is a way to get a unique figure that is not required for a complete movie set because the cockpit was never even seen in the movie but it makes very little sense to not have that option. that is my case for it being okay if the figure is EU made up by Hasbro.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Less than a week to go! I got mine on March 10 and was order #2508, just barely missing the halfway mark. The painted photos, EW coverage, and of course a POTF Yak Face seem to have driven a surge on this, with less than 1,100 sales needed.

The size and detail of the barge are astounding, and I really hope it happens.

A lot of things about the way this inaugural HasLab campaign was handled could definitely have been different, but that just means fans can provide ample feedback going forward.

I'm thrilled that a new Yak Face and Klaatu figures are coming alongside this. They're not all-new characters, but they haven't been made in 20 years(!) and make sense as vintage updates. Hasbro should use this opportunity to get out more of Jabba's goons. The focus on the new movies has understandably made classic figures take something of a backseat (outside of 6") but I hope this means we'll see more OT and PT figures going forward.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
A larger issue is whether we are going to get background scenery beings. Canto Bight is an original 1 different from previous movies as it is aliens in tuxedos. Maz Castle would be much more interesting in terms of Art as would the resistance base. There are a few aliens from jakku as well as from Jeddah in Rogue one. Plus that space station where Cassian made contact with his spy he had to kill. And the aliens that were prisoners when Jyn was. Plus there are droids especially at the resistance base and the alternate color for k2so or his model type.

Lord Malakite

Jedi Council Member
Sep 30, 2001
Williamsburg, OH
I think its going to make it. I've been keeping an eye on the numbers today and there seems to be an influx of backers now that we're near the end. Its jumped up by probably a good 700 backers between late last evening to the moment I'm posting this. Currently setting at 4344 of their 5,000 backer goal with 5 days to go.

Reactions: Tycho

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
It will be close to the wire. This is the Star Wars collector Community after all. If we barely get 5000 it will not be 5,000. There will be people who refuse the charge or and circumstances change and they're not of able to afford the charge now. This will have changed since they got excited about the idea. Then Hasbro could do it with less than 5000 valid payments. Or they could do an emergency funding 4 something less than a thousand more for all the chargebacks.

I am being cautiously conservative. I don't mean to be negative.

I want the sail barge probably more than any vehicle they have ever done. It holds more diverse characters and the Heroes all in battle ( if you count those on the skiff) and few but IF you had a landed Republic Gunship surrounded by droids - can match a movie authentic diorama.

We had smaller Falcons and ATATs