How did you spend your Saturday?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
... about the same lately, except that I felt more productive this day: washing and folding laundry, recycling, a little shopping, backyard "wildlife" observing, lesson planning, decent amount of grading, sports watching (hockey, mainly), reading to lead into sleeping.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Some (but not all grading), crossed the $700 threshold mark in recycling (and just beat the downpour of rain as I returned to my car), a couple loads of laundry, then out to see Jeff Dunham's "Passively Aggressive" show (terrible parking, but a funny show throughout; got to see him try out a new character, Bob, who may or may not have staying power in his act), and thought a shake or sundae at McDonald's might be good in the way home (nope; NO ice cream or shakes, according to the tiny paper signs stuck where you don't see them until you are at the speaker, then in trying to back out of the long drive-thru [was the last car in line, thankfully] a stupid taxi cab couldn't see the back-up lights and kept beeping and scooting forward; ugh).

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Drove up to Sacramento for the Educating for Careers conference. Lots of rain on the way and, sadly, several really bad accidents.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Went to do the taxes thing (had to wait, with two late appointments before mine), had another horrid McDonald's drive-thru experience (you know, I WANT to help you, but you keep letting me down, McD :mad: ), graded all I needed to grade (dropped off some items in my classroom), recycled around the rain, read a little, watched a bit o' TV, changed most of the clocks for DST.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Spent the day at the CATE (California Association of Teachers of English) conference in San Diego. It's so strange to be there and NOT be going to another type of convening. We had brunch at Richard Walkers Pancake House - highest possible recommendation - since a trip to SD is never complete for me without a few bites there. Also went to the Super7 shop which is always a fun place. Drove back in the most consistent rain I've ever driven through. It did not let up until way after I was asleep and it began before I arose in the morning.

Mad Slanted Powers

Jedi Commander
May 20, 2002
Bellingham, WA
www.madslantedpowers.com
Two weeks in a row I was in X-Wing miniatures tournaments. I missed out on going to the big ones in Seattle and Vancouver. Last week was only 6 players at a small store about 45 minutes away, while this week was at the usual local store downtown. Last week I was 1-2, and one of those losses was pretty bad. This week I was 1-3, but had a chance to win all of the games. I did much better against the same guy that trounced me the prior week.

Apr 28, 2013
Had two-inches of water in my basement a couple of weeks ago. My collection is safe; the majority of it is stored in plastic tubs. But the carpet is toast. So I'm pulling up carpet and padding for the next few weeks.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Productive: laundry, recycling, grading (left some important items at the school, so I had to go back there earlier than I intended). Read a book :thumbsup: , watched NCAA basketball, experienced hail outside just before heading to bed.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
No recycling (although, I did crush a couple bags worth) and no grading/lessons... spring break! Woo hoo!

With some out-of-state family in town: drove to Palm Springs (lunch, brief sightseeing), stopped at the Cabazon dinosaurs (remember them from the Pee Wee's Big Adventure film?), watched some street track racing at the local speedway parking lot, stopped by a sad place (TRU with no children's joy in stock :( ), home to relax, in bed before the Earth Hour time to shut off the lights.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Since this coming week will be school testing, and I teach all juniors (the grade level that tests), my first 4 days will be monitoring the monitors (and the students). So, no rush to grade (but I graded some: the easy stuff). Went out to a local water awareness/Earth Day event (free lunch from Chick Fil-A, wonderful weather), dropped off recycling (broke the $800 mark on the school year), did some laundry and read some at home, back out for a pasta dinner fundraiser at church, shopping for groceries.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I drove up to NorCal to visit a friend, it was the longest drive I've ever done, and the furthest north I've ever been. It started with gentle showers that turned into a white out of rain in the mountains, but I had wisely chosen to download a bunch of comedy albums to listen to while driving which was calming, and soon the rain let up for safe driving to resume. It's amazing how wide open Central California is, also it reeks of cow farts. Beautiful country, some of it, and with the comedy albums and a lunch break, the 6 hours flew by even without speeding. When I got up north, I hit a Target and found the wave 2 Dinobots which was a treat.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Almost at THIS week's Saturday, but...

Busy, but productive and pleasant. Up "early" to head to the school to administer and proctor a practice AP English exam (my 23 students and other teacher's 38); thought I could get some grading done while doing that... no. Out to recycle (crossed a major funds level in my 13+ years recycling for the school), a bit of shopping (books, awesome deal on a pair of work shoes, lunch). Home to... grade. Back out for dinner with family and friend. Home to... basically fall asleep.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Doin' stuff I wanted to do; not so much what I shoulda been doin'. Laundry and sprinklers (are supposed to have a water reduction week starting in a couple days, due to some city-wide maintenance), haircut, recycling, actual Star Wars products purchased from stores and other shopping needs, car wash, little reading and TV-ing. Hardly any grading and very little lesson planning; but, isn't that what Sundays are for?

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Taught in the Saturday Grade Improvement Academy. Went with friends to see belligerent four-color funnies digitally projected. Went on a depressing toy run to two TRUs and three bullseyes. Had pancakes. Came home.

Reactions: JediTricks

Mad Slanted Powers

Jedi Commander
May 20, 2002
Bellingham, WA
www.madslantedpowers.com
My college alma mater hosted a track meet. Afterwards there was an event at the newly renovated gym on campus celebrating the coach’s 30 years. They gave tours of the new facility. Very impressive. Lots of alumni, so I was able to catch up with a few that I knew from back in the day. Afterwards, many went to a local bar for more celebrating and pizza.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Enjoyable for the first half: saw that there was a 9am Infinity War movie showing (went to it), dropped off recycling (nearing an unlikely milestone amount), went to 2 1/2 comic shops (drove past the largest event because there were no available parking spaces near it) looking for the SW Adventures book (not much else that I desired; loved the handwritten "Not Free" signs around shelves in one shop). Once home, not so fun and exciting: watched horses run in mud and the Penguins lose another lead, got no grading (wait, I realize I finished ONE paper... yippy! :p ) done, zoned out in front of a screen.