• Never, we need no more Ewok toys

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shortcat

Force Sensitive
Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I think if I see another ewok or Jar Jar figure I'm going to snap and throttle someone. Lets face it - they were created to market to the little ones, and for the most part their usefulness in the story was dubious at best. Annoying at least. That the ewoks could beat those stormtroopers was always the most ridiculous and silly part of the Original Trilogy. Either that or it was an illustration of how poor the new clones were after Jango Fett was killed.

I should think there would be many characters more worthy of an action figure that still haven't been put on the pegs. Even the rest of the podrace pilots would be a better value.

Jaff

Jedi Apprentice
Dec 31, 2002
Right where I belong!
Visit site
I think that having one or two ewoks every 2 years stinks as this the trend that Hasbro totes now. I would like allot of new ones to catch up but the truth is I would like Hasbro to focus on other figs too.

And here's a question for you folks out there in knowledgeville! If the Ewok that comes with the Glider is not Warok, what is that Ewoks name?

skeeziks22

Jedi Initiate
Jan 16, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska
Visit site
Jaff said:
And here's a question for you folks out there in knowledgeville! If the Ewok that comes with the Glider is not Warok, what is that Ewoks name?

I assume you are talking about the Ultra glider set... the first glider in the Total Galaxy Endor planet thing also had an un-named Ewok (they were the same mold, but different paint jobs though and different articulation?). Either way that makes a total of 6 Ewoks (those two, plus Wicket, Logray, Teebo and Paploo) in 10 years... pretty shotty record especially considering the amount of endor related figures and playsets that Hasbro has made in that same time period.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Tycho said:
I only want 7 more Ewoks that I know of. They are all on JediTricks' list...
not too surprising considering I took much of that list from your post. :D

To me, it is very important that all the vintage line gets redone, "modernized."
Why? You don't even buy all the figures that come out now.

shortcat said:
Even the rest of the podrace pilots would be a better value.
I was with you right up until you said that. ;) I think the Ewoks and more Podrace pilots have an almost equal amount of disinterest for me, that's why I voted for 1 Ewok toy every few years.

I'm surprised to see how divided this issue currently is. The "3 or more" crowd is slightly in the lead, but only just. I originally theorized that the majority of collectors are still sickened of the Ewoks and wouldn't be able to stomach much more of 'em, looks like I was half wrong. But this poll ain't over yet, so who knows....

Kidhuman

Jedi Knight
Nov 12, 2002
Dr. Ventures Yard Sale
JediTricks said:
The Ewoks are still a controversial issue in SW circles even after all these years.

It is beyond me too. I figured they would just be accepted. And since the line is "geared towards kids" I would guess more of the cute, Teddy Bear creatures would be released.

Rocketboy

Jedi Commander
Feb 8, 2004
Denying your trespasses
www.myspace.com
shortcat said:
I think if I see another ewok or Jar Jar figure I'm going to snap and throttle someone. Lets face it - they were created to market to the little ones, and for the most part their usefulness in the story was dubious at best.
Yes, the Ewoks probably were part marketing to kids, but these are toys we are talking about, which are also marketed to kids (not just collectors).

shortcat

Force Sensitive
Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Think about it this way too: only collectors are interested in one of every character that exists. Kids only want the heroes and a villain or two. And average parent's are not likely to buy the average kid every toy they want. In that respect, the ewoks were a mistake; a kid might want Wicket, but after that, how many parents are going to buy their kid a bunch of figures that look basically the same even if the kid wants them? I know I wouldn't. Most kids want Luke, Han, and Darth Vader. Maybe Obi-Wan and Anakin and Darth Maul. They're not really interested in Leia or Padme. They might be interested in some alien they connected with in the story, but they're not going to care about something the camera panned past, even if they happened to see it in the movie. I've watched Episode II I don't know HOW many times, and I'm still seeing aliens I've never seen before. And they keep coming up with characters' names and backstory for people who don't even have a part in the story. To me, that's the most amazing thing about Star Wars: everybody has a story, whether it has anything to do with the story as a whole or not. That's like watching Lethal Weapon and coming up with a backstory for the people in the cars Riggs and Murtaugh pass during the car chase! Its ridiculous and amazing at the same time to think that anyone wants these toys. I have no interest in an action figure of some guy in a car that gets hit by a truck. Why should I want every ewok in the village?
Here's an idea: since the ETs were represented in the Senate, why can't we have an action figure of them in Star Wars packaging?

B'Omarr Monkey

Jedi Initiate
Dec 19, 2003
I agree, shortcat, that the EU details for all of these fleetingly glimpsed characters tends to get out of hand. However, the difference between all of these background SW characters and, using your example, the fleetingly glimpsed people in their cars in a Lethal Weapon movie, is that the SW characters are more interesting to look at.

I hated the short story that detailed Greedo's background and ultimate fate, but still think Greedo is a great looking alien, and the EU story does not diminish my non-officail interpretation of him. As a kid who collected an played with the vintage line, I was allowed to give the characters any sort of backgrounds and names that I chose, even the principals often got played with as characters other than their film roles.

My kids tend to play with them the same way. They don't care what Djas Puhr's name is, or even Boba Fett, they play with them however they want, because they like the look of them.

I appreciate that you don't care about the fleetingly glimpsed character, a trait you share with many others. That's great for you. You'll get to save a lot more money than completists like myself who want as many different characters as Hasbro will give us.

The thing that's attracted me to SW more than anything else is the look of the movies, including the characters. This factor gets me past the short comings in story and character in the PT films, and in the end I am collecting the toys more for the look than for the depth of the characters portrayed. If action figures were made based on the depth and personalities of the characters there would be lines of toys based on movies like "The 400 Blows" instead of movies like SW.

shortcat

Force Sensitive
Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
At least the podrace pilots would all represent TOTALLY DIFFERENT races, and be completely new sculpts. It is totally unfeasible for a toy company to spend the money necessary to sculpt, mold, and produce twenty different ewoks, unless they do it as a "troop builder" sort of thing, where they make two or three different ones and mold each of them in a few different colors.
Of course, that's the same reason the podrace pilots won't get made - nobody really cares.
Its all academic anyway. The only new Star Wars toys I'm interested in at this point are the new Playskool line. And I'm reserving judgment on Episode III stuff till I see it.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
Why do I want all the vintage line redone when I don't buy everything produced now?

I can use everything from the vintage line in my dioramas - it's mostly background characters like Ewoks, the Imp Dignitary (correct one), pilots and the Hoth Rebel Soldier.

I have no need for another Luke or Vader. They'd have to be extremely cool or different to get me to buy them now.

As to the reference to LETHAL WEAPON'S background extras.

First, Lethal Weapon isn't a large cult-following phenomenon. Starsky and Hutch, the TV Series "Hunter," Bad Boys, Die Hard - it's almost all the same thing. Cops against super-villains in an every-day society.

Star Wars takes place in a very original universe that was almost the first of its kind (except for Star Trek and a few others) but it debuted at the highest production quality to really take you to new worlds.

Action figures from Die Hard would be cool - Bruce and all the German terrorists - that's about all you might need.

Extras would be very boring:

Dude in business suit (Japanese) comes with computer - character might type something

Girl as secretary - she works as a secretary

TV news reporter - he has a camera and a microphone - slightly more interesting - but you can see them on the evening broadcast every night in all kinds of varieties.

Now Star Wars background extras:

Amanaman - Amanin head hunter. Creature is a lethal hunting-clan member who rolls and thrusts with a spear impaling victims in close quarters, then mounts their skulls on his ceremonial trophy staff. - You can get that from the movie, never mind the EU. (unless he's a wimp who still happens to be a skull collector - but even skull collectors are more rare than Japansese businessmen and secretaries that are passed by in car chase scenes in cop-thrillers).

Even Danni Faytooni - basic human in Republic officer uniform. Probably goes to work everyday checking security measures to protect the senate - looking to make sure view cameras and weapons check points are all covered. However, the backstory on Faytooni was he was a con man - not a real officer. He used the vast-authority of the Republic to help him in his scams. Now even if he was just a security guard, he adds to the scene to protect all the unique alien senator sculpts we could get to display a wide variety of sculpting art of things that look very different from businessmen and secretaries (demand for Sei Teria's action figure aside - since it completes the scene with Vallorum and Mas Ameeda).

But all this is better than waiting for the ultimate resculpt in a hobby a lot of us are continuing to enjoy.

shortcat

Force Sensitive
Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
It is the constant re-sculpts and remakes of characters we already have that made me stop collecting the 3 3/4 line in the first place. I'm sure I will buy many of the new ones when they come out next year. I'm just at critical mass when it comes to repeats like that. The fact remains that Hasbro is more likely to sell a Darth Vader or Luke, or Han than some background character that most kids don't even remember.

Of course I was being facetious when I remarked about Lethal Weapon, but you get the idea. I agree that the background characters in Star Wars are far more interesting. I think that goes without saying. But as was mentioned earlier, only the collectors care about seeing those immortalized in plastic, so it amounts to "are there enough people who want this character to make it worth selling?" In many cases that answer is "no."

The reason I've bought as many Star Wars figures as I have to this point is exactly what you mentioned. They're very different. That's why I don't understand the fuss. Ewoks aren't all that different from each other. When you've got lots of little furry things that, aside from color and headpieces, are virtually the same, why do we need Hasbro to make each of them? Why not just buy multiples of the few that they do make, if we want them, and just customize them? Its the same with the stormtroopers and the clone troopers. Each one is identical, with the exception of a few differences between troopers and pilots, etc. If they would make one of each that is super-poseable (like Takara's new Microman line), and make them in large enough quantities, we would never need another one. The simple fact is that there aren't enough people who want the lesser ewoks for Hasbro to invest the sort of money needed to get them to retail, where they would likely end up as peg-warmers anyway.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
No Ewoks ever pegwarmed to this day though.

Girls might even buy them because they're cute, and make a little collection out of only Ewoks if they wanted to (like Hallmark miniatures a past girlfriend of mine collected - or BeanieBabies too). Kids might still dig Ewoks as they did back in the day.

The appeal to me is that with the different issues comes different headpieces and other accessories, that can let me customize a reasonable variety into an even greater variety, so that I can have 30-40 different Ewoks in my Battle of Endor Diorama (which mind you, has 2 Ewok Village playsets from the 80's to fill up).

The sculpts like Teebo, are coming out unique enough and different enough for now - so let's let Hasbro go through the fur-color-spectrum, and then decide if enough is enough.

Like I said, 7 more would do me to being adequate enough. Maybe 2 per year would be fine, but 3-packs could work just as well (then card Chief Chirpa, Paploo, or the momma-with-wokling).

shortcat

Force Sensitive
Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I have some ewoks buried in my collection that you can buy off me if you want them. I'll have to dig 'em out of storage to tell you which ones I have, though. I haven't even looked at them in a while.

skeeziks22

Jedi Initiate
Jan 16, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska
Visit site
Tycho said:
Teebo sat for quite a while up here. I think the reason was that we first saw an ewok 2-pack, and now we only get one... where's the value in that? What I don't understand is why not release DIFFERENT ewoks each time Hasbor plans to card an ewok? We have wicket on three different cards (including OTC and Leia 2 pack) now. That right there could have been two more unique ewoks added to the fray. If hasbro has concerns about interest in a certain type of figure repacking that figure doesn't help. That's why they have done so many resculpts of the core characters. How many vaders do we really need? But when a new sculpt comes out I'm much more likely to buy that than a re-packed version of an old sculpt. Why not follow that logic with ewoks, etc.?

B'Omarr Monkey

Jedi Initiate
Dec 19, 2003
I'm in agreement about too many Wicket recards. The OTC recard makes a lot of sense, based on who Hasbro feels these will appeal to (though he's very little plastic for $4.99. Including him in the Endor boxed set makes less sense, particularly as this set will be in stores at the same time as the carded OTC set. I'm not complaining. I'd hate to be swayed into spending $20 for one new ewok, even if that's what we should have been given instead.

I also agree completely with Tycho about the headgear and accesories adding to the uniqueness of the figures. They also have different faces, and aren't all made from the same mold. Teebo has a very different face construction from, say, Paploo. Just giving us repaints would be like painting Han's hair a sandy color and calling him Luke. They are not the same figures at all.

skeeziks22

Jedi Initiate
Jan 16, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska
Visit site
B'Omarr Monkey said:
Just giving us repaints would be like painting Han's hair a sandy color and calling him Luke. They are not the same figures at all.
I agree that they are different enough that using the same mold would be very obvious. However, they got away with it with the Endor Rebel and Imperial officer just by swapping out one head for another (and Tantive IV just by a new hair color). It would be just as easy to swap out arms from one mold to the body of another and giving the whole thing a new head and a new paint job. Besides new heads just adding unique cowls and weapons would be good enough.

so wicket is going to be in the ROTJ DVD pack as well? I guess I didn't look at them that closely... that makes him available four different ways, and twice during the same period. That's pretty dumb.

jeffonthego

Jedi Initiate
Feb 14, 2002
Visit site
It's hard not to like a nice Ewok, but they're just so gosh darn hairy. And when all that fur gets wet, man so stinky. How about a nice shaved Ewok? Or maybe just with a little mohawk on top . . .

;)

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
kidhuman said:
It is beyond me too. I figured they would just be accepted. And since the line is "geared towards kids" I would guess more of the cute, Teddy Bear creatures would be released.
It's a little ironic that you mention the kiddie set, I was 7 years old when ROTJ came out and thought it was the bee's knees, I defended it (which I later retracted as I viewed the series together) to pretty much everybody. However, while all the adults I knew were going ape over the Ewoks and their merchandising, no matter how much I loved ROTJ they were one aspect I really and truly didn't care for. I was a pre-teen boy, why would I want cute toys when I could have action figures with lightsabers and removable disguises (Lando Skiff and Leia Boushh were very sought-after by myself as a lad)? And besides, I was mostly into core characters, which the Ewoks most certainly were not. As an adult (in age only ;)) I've come to accept the Ewoks to a certain degree, I gave the recent Glider set a high grade because it's a cool toy and the figure isn't trying to be cute, he's even a little menacing for an Ewok. I guess like Jar Jar with the Gungans, Wicket's childish antics and over-pandering drove me away from him AND his ilk even though the other Gungans and Ewoks aren't as annoying and sometimes even interesting and even a little fierce.

Tycho said:
They did here, that's how I was able to get a few extra sets on mega-clearance. The Leia/Wicket set was a mega-shelf-bogger but that set was kinda doomed from the beginning anyway. Teebo once that case finally hit its stride definitely collected a little dust for a while.

Girls might even buy them because they're cute, and make a little collection out of only Ewoks if they wanted to
I don't know a single female collector who fits in with this category, most girls aren't so shallow that they'd go for this, and the ones that ARE that shallow almost certainly wouldn't be interested in SW at all.

skeeziks22 said:
so wicket is going to be in the ROTJ DVD pack as well? I guess I didn't look at them that closely... that makes him available four different ways, and twice during the same period. That's pretty dumb.
Not the DVD pack, the next TRU multipack with Logray, POTF2 Endor Han, Saga Endor Trooper, and the POTF2 Speederbike w/ Scout rider.