Indiana Jones (And Ranking)

Jan 24, 2018
The other major and notable LucasFilm property aside from Star Wars. Any fans here? One of my favorite movie series ever and even moreso than SW. It's one of my all-time favorite series and I love all the films very much in their own way, even the much-maligned fourth chapter. My ranking for the series is probably quite untraditional and controversial, but it goes:

Temple Of Doom
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull
The Last Crusade

I think in a lot of ways Raiders is truly the best one, though I find Temple Of Doom to be the most entertaining. I actually go back and forth on Last Crusade and Crystal Skull. I like The Last Crusade but it tends to be my least favorite due to being so deriative of the original, though it's still very entertaining. In my book there's no such thing as a bad Indy movie. The fifth one is set for release in 2020 and I'm excited it's finally set to happen. Hope it's a worthy finale.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Actually, my list would be the same as yours (although, depending on if I see one on TV/DVD, KOTCS and TLC alternate). This weekend, Paramount Network (used to be Spike TV) had the first two on, and I realized just how much I loved TOD when I was younger.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
For me, it's been:

Raiders
Last Crusade
Temple of Doom
Skull

What's funny is that I've been slowly reading the story conference notes from Lucas, Spielberg, and Kasdan getting together to churn out Raiders, and you can see it forming (mostly from Lucas) and then there's spill-over into Temple of Doom's opening sequences and Last Crusade's Elsa Schneider character. It's nice to see them come up with these ideas and realize that they're going to enjoy it enough to go back to and use again.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Indiana Jones and the Ancient Aliens (essentially)

I can't imagine that the next one will be worse than the last one, but you never know these days since so many films are mutts instead of purebreds...

Jan 24, 2018
Not too long ago news broke Indy 5 is being eyed for one of Spielberg's next movies, good to hear we're finally getting something concrete on it.

Jan 24, 2018
I got to wonder if for Indy 5 if Indy will be killed off? I doubt it but after The Force Awakens I don't think anything is out of the realm of possibility. It's supposed to be the final installment and will obviously be Harrison's final outing as the character. I'm not sure if Disney is still keeping the Young Indy TV show as canon, due to the bookends that show him in the modern age (showing he's obviously still alive at least well into the 1990s). It'd be a rough way to end the series, but after TFA it's not something to completely rule out. If he was okay with giving Han Solo a send-off, I don't think it's unfeasible to think he might want to do the same with Indy.

Jan 24, 2018
After seeing Ready Player One (and what an awesome movie it was), no doubt Spielberg can do Indy 5 justice. So excited it's set to begin filming by next year.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
I happened upon IJatKotCS last night, and I was reminded how I still like this oft-lambasted film in the series. Also noted the symmetry with Raiders: it starts in Peru and ends with a warehouse; Skull ends in Peru after opening scenes in (likely) that same warehouse. I don't recall: was there a shadow scene with Indy's fedora shown in ToD (if so, there's one in a 4 films, then)?