Issues Reading News Comments.

Neuroleptic

Jedi Initiate
Nov 20, 2007
The one major problem I have with the new update is that when I try to read the news comments, I see this:

News comments.jpg

The only way I'm able to read the comments is to hit reply to every single one. Anyone else having this issue?

Neuroleptic

Jedi Initiate
Nov 20, 2007
Yes, it's IE version 8.0. Yes I've tried it. When I highlight the area where the responses should be, it highlights the person's name, how many days ago, and the next person's avitar, name, and however many days ago. If I try to highlight where I see no print, it doesn't let me highlight.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
That's weird, it's creating the smilie in there, the post size is showing up as well, so your IE is creating the correct space for the text, but then the text is more than just whited out.

sonofsokol

Jedi Initiate
Jan 23, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
I have the same problem when I access the site at work. The computers here have Internet Explorer 7.

screen_shot.jpg

I have not noticed this being a problem when I view the site at home where I am currently using the FireFox 4-beta.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Steve just got back to me about this. I have a solution for Neuro, but Sonofsokol is a different matter.

The problem is the system software has code that IE7 does not parse correctly, IE7 part of the Microsoft brand of "internet ruiner" software. If you have IE7, until the developer comes up with a fix, comments aren't working.

Now, Neuro says "but I'm not using IE7!"... but he is! You see in the screenshot there's a button directly right of the URL bar, it's currently blue. That is the "compatibility mode" button, which emulates IE7's massive bank of failures in IE8. Neuro can click that button and the page will refresh running under the regular IE8 engine, which will properly render the text.

sonofsokol

Jedi Initiate
Jan 23, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm not too concerned about it not displaying properly. I don't have a lot of free time to spend on the site while at work. I'll check in at lunch or on a break, but I do most of my SSG-ing from home.

Thanks for the infor JT!!!

Neuroleptic

Jedi Initiate
Nov 20, 2007
Steve just got back to me about this. I have a solution for Neuro, but Sonofsokol is Now, Neuro says "but I'm not using IE7!"... but he is! You see in the screenshot there's a button directly right of the URL bar, it's currently blue. That is the "compatibility mode" button, which emulates IE7's massive bank of failures in IE8. Neuro can click that button and the page will refresh running under the regular IE8 engine, which will properly render the text.
/face desk/

Well wadayaknow? That worked! Figures it would be something brain dead simple. Thanks Tricks.

Blue2th

Jedi Apprentice
Feb 10, 2005
Albaquirky
I'm not getting any notifications to any of my subscribed threads. Anything I need to do here that I hadn't been doing before with the upgrade?
Turn off "block pop up windows" on my Mac?
Say that I "like" SSG?

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I'm not getting any notifications to any of my subscribed threads. Anything I need to do here that I hadn't been doing before with the upgrade?
Turn off "block pop up windows" on my Mac?
Say that I "like" SSG?
Notifications, like the pop-up on the page, or via email? I've also noticed that the notifications for PM don't always work on the forums page, but they seem to on the home page now. Are they showing as a number in the upper right sliver of the pages?

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
When I'm looking at the list of threads, there's a little blue circle to the left of the thread name with a double down arrow. I assume this is supposed to take me to the first unread post or something but instead takes me to the first post in the thread. Is this what that button is really for?

Blue2th

Jedi Apprentice
Feb 10, 2005
Albaquirky
Notifications, like the pop-up on the page, or via email? I've also noticed that the notifications for PM don't always work on the forums page, but they seem to on the home page now. Are they showing as a number in the upper right sliver of the pages?
Yah, notifications via e-mail. Where "such and such has replied to this thread." I don't see anything in the upper right corner unless it's a PM, and no e-mail notification of the PM.

I don't always visit the forum everyday, so if the topic has disappeared from the home page due to other activity, I don't know if there has been a reply unless I dig for the topic.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
When I'm looking at the list of threads, there's a little blue circle to the left of the thread name with a double down arrow. I assume this is supposed to take me to the first unread post or something but instead takes me to the first post in the thread. Is this what that button is really for?
That is what it's supposed to do, for some reason the new software doesn't work this right, I've been looking into solving that. For now, you can scroll down and see the newest ones by their red icons next to the post time, or you can click "go to first unread" which reloads the page and scrolls it down (it's a stupid system they programmed in, 2 different types of links calling 2 different ways).

Yah, notifications via e-mail. Where "such and such has replied to this thread." I don't see anything in the upper right corner unless it's a PM, and no e-mail notification of the PM.

I don't always visit the forum everyday, so if the topic has disappeared from the home page due to other activity, I don't know if there has been a reply unless I dig for the topic.
Is it possible your notifications got reset with the new software? Double-check them and make sure they're set to email. Also, if you're not getting notifications of PMs in your email, it's likely your email is blocking SSG's outgoing email.

Until we figure out exactly what's what here, I suggest using the "What's New" link in the header, it shows all the activity you haven't seen yet, and the icons with the littler green icons are the ones you've posted in.