It's been two decades since "Episode I" was released?!?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Wow. Remember when "Star Wars" was something you waited a long, long time for new stuff? The toys were at "gotta catch 'em all" levels? What are your thoughts now that 20 years TODAY, this landmark film showed up on movie screens?

Mad Slanted Powers

Jedi Commander
May 20, 2002
Bellingham, WA
www.madslantedpowers.com
Still probably my favorite of the prequels. This is when I started collecting figures. Saw the movie seven times in the theater, though I was burned out on it a bit by then. However, I can still enjoy it when I watch it now. Qui-Gon, Darth Maul, pod racing, Coruscant, the Senate, the Jedi Council, Dual Of The Fates, and that incredible multi-part final battle sequence were all great additions to the Star Wars Saga. And I had no problem with Jar Jar either.

Mad Slanted Powers

Jedi Commander
May 20, 2002
Bellingham, WA
www.madslantedpowers.com
Still probably my favorite of the prequels. This is when I started collecting figures. Saw the movie seven times in the theater, though I was burned out on it a bit by then. However, I can still enjoy it when I watch it now. Qui-Gon, Darth Maul, pod racing, Coruscant, the Senate, the Jedi Council, Dual Of The Fates, and that incredible multi-part final battle sequence were all great additions to the Star Wars Saga. And I had no problem with Jar Jar either.
DUEL OF THE FATES! Couldn't edit the post, and now that I found the edit button on Chrome, it must have been too late.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I set up an online group viewing of Ep I on Thursday and people came out of the woodwork to celebrate it and dump on it at the same time. Something about that movie truly touched the zeitgeist, as even 20 years later and more than enough derision, it still brews passion and interest in audiences. It is still a very broken movie, but it's nice to see real sets, real models, things like that (although I was grateful the blu-ray replaced ugly puppet Yoda with CGI, that puppet was garbage, so much worse than the original puppet).

One piece of trivia I hadn't realized until watching it this time is that Star Wars sound designer Ben Burtt is one of the 2 editors on the film, essentially his first feature editing job. Burtt would edit the other prequels as well.