It's College Football Again!

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Awesome trifecta! Pitt came to play and hung in there with #2 Clemson in Death Valley... and then Chris Blewitt goes and wins it from 48 yards out! Ohio State blows out Maryland. YSU gets a late score to hold on vs. So. IL. I wonder if all three will be in their respective top-25 rankings for the first time in a long time...

Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Numbers 2, 3, 4, 8, and 9 lose on the same day. What a day for college football! I guess we're in a week of upsets. USC has really turned the corner. It's a shame they don't hold their potential for getting to the Pac-12 championship/Rose Bowl in their hands. They need Colorado and Utah, who both look strong, to each drop a game. Alas, Foster Farms Bowl here we come.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
The 3 teams in the running for the Big Ten East division (OSU, Michigan, PSU) are all 6-1 in conference. The Buckeyes now need to win out and hope The Nittany Lions lose to either Rutgers (uh...) or MSU (maybe?) or they won't even make it to the conference title game, while possibly being the #2 team in the playoffs rankings. Weird.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Pitt goes off in its '76 throwback unis vs. Duke (hope the same can be said come ACC basketball season), OSU gets by a tough Michigan St. on that school's Senior Day, and YSU sets some school records in their last game before the playoffs. Found out this morning that the Penguins will host a 1st round game this coming weekend vs. 7-4 Samford (hard to believe it's been a decade since Youngstown State had made the I-AA/FCS playoffs). Pitt still has one more game against Da 'Cuse but won't be in the ACC title game. OSU can beat that team up north and still miss out on the conference title game (so, go Sparty versus Penn State this week! ).

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
OSU will beat that team up north but not miss out on the conference title game (so, go Sparty versus Penn State this week! ).
Heart has resumed beating after the first-ever OT game in The Game today. Waiting to see how the MSU/PSU game ends up; or, if it's better to make the playoff 4 without the chance for injuries in the Big Ten title game. Hmm...

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Youngstown St. wins a playoff game, scoring 38 at home. Next opponent: Jacksonville St.

What was that about Pitt and 76 last week? This week, they give up 61 points on Senior Day v. Syracuse... and win by 15!?! The combined 76-61 FOOTBALL score was the highest in FBS history.

Ohio St. didn't get the Michigan St. victory it needed to appear in this coming week's conference title game, but that might not matter (have to wait until Tuesday to see the current rankings) for the 4 playoff slots.

There was a dirty player on the Irish in the USC/ND game, and the ref was knocked out, too!

[edit] Pitt made the top 25 in BOTH the AP and Playoff polls! :D

Last edited:

JimJamBonds

Jedi Commander
May 22, 2005
www.myspace.com
In theory its possible for Wisconsin to make it into the playoffs but 1) too many things need to happen and 2) conference championships are a sham. The NCAA/tv want certain teams as money/ratings rule.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I never was a fan of the conference title games (in FB or in BB, to be honest); let the season determine the winners. I still think (hope) that the playoffs won't go to 8 teams, but if it ever does they should just eliminate the conference title games and (if the commi$$ioners whine about it) "revenue share" into scholarship funds the money earned from the "round one" games.

Not sure who I'm pulling more for in that non-Power 5 slot in the BCS, er, major bowl game selection: Navy or now 13-0 Western MI. Doesn't SSG have a Forumite who's a UW Huskies fan? They may be the 4th team in, which might mean either no Big Ten champ in or Ohio State's lack of a title bumping them from #2 to looking on the outside (though I don't think so). A win by VA Tech (I know there's a Hokie fan here) over Clemson would sure shake it all up tonight.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
My guess: #1 Alaska (that's who this "AL" is, right?), #2: Clemson, #3 Ohio State, #4 Washington. (I'd be sad, but not surprised if PSU makes it over OSU however: then, I'd put them at #3)

And I suppose Western Michigan gets the big bowl nod, after Navy was sunk by Temple.

Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
My guess: #1 Alaska (that's who this "AL" is, right?), #2: Clemson, #3 Ohio State, #4 Washington. (I'd be sad, but not surprised if PSU makes it over OSU however: then, I'd put them at #3)

And I suppose Western Michigan gets the big bowl nod, after Navy was sunk by Temple.
If OSU is replaced by PSU, going to the "Granddaddy of Them All" is not a bad consolation prize. It looks like it would be against a classic Rose Bowl opponent, too - as long as the selection committee offers USC a bid to their 34th Rose Bowl.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I can't believe I forgot to mention YSU's upset of #3 ranked Jacksonville St. on the road last week! They get to host another playoff game this weekend versus Wofford. Go 'Guins!

And Pitt goes to NY, NY for the Pinstripe Bowl against NW.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Youngstown State doesn't get on TV much (for obvious reasons; I'm sure most of you know little about it aside from my comments), so getting to see them at Eastern WA on the red turf (in sub-zero weather, with wind chill) was exciting. The game went from quick score, to possibly being blown out, to back-and-forth, to :06 left and down by 4. Then that final play (well, before the long lateral-athon with :01 left) and mind-numbing catch... to playing for the FCS title in January! :D :pleased: :thumbsup: :)