It's College Football Again!

Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
The Granddaddy of Them All was incredible. I was sure USC was done and then a teenager with ice water in his veins engineered an improbable comeback. I was following the fourth quarter on my phone, since I had committed to a board game party (Captain Sonar is such a fun game - think Battleship on steroids). The ESPN app, which I was using to follow the game, has a stat called win probability that gives a percentage; Penn State had a 96% probability to win at one point during the fourth. I figured the game was over. And then, suddenly, it wasn't. And then, memorably, it was.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
First of all, James Madison Univ. deserved to win their second FCS national championship: tough defense, timely first downs, solid special teams play. But MAN! It was quite obvious that JMUSPN (I mean, ESPN) chose which team to support (I mean, support and root for and get excited about). YSU hardly got a mention, and any good plays for JMU were New Year's Eve, Independence Day, and your child's first steps all rolled in one. Refs were a bit one-sided and there were some odd reversals. But when your team has several kicking woes, can't stop third down conversions, and has no sense of urgency late in the game, you end up with a nice season, but not a championship one. Still a nice 2016 season, 'Guins!

Oh, and it's the 2015 matchup, part deux, for the 2016 title on Monday. :eek:

Snowtrooper

Jedi Apprentice
Sep 14, 2006
First of all, James Madison Univ. deserved to win their second FCS national championship: tough defense, timely first downs, solid special teams play. But MAN! It was quite obvious that JMUSPN (I mean, ESPN) chose which team to support (I mean, support and root for and get excited about). YSU hardly got a mention, and any good plays for JMU were New Year's Eve, Independence Day, and your child's first steps all rolled in one. Refs were a bit one-sided and there were some odd reversals. But when your team has several kicking woes, can't stop third down conversions, and has no sense of urgency late in the game, you end up with a nice season, but not a championship one. Still a nice 2016 season, 'Guins!

Oh, and it's the 2015 matchup, part deux, for the 2016 title on Monday. :eek:
I pretty much hate ESPN anymore now. Like you said, they are so blatantly one sided, its pathetic. They've taken every opportunity they can over the years to trash Nebraska, even during the times we were good. Like most so called journalism now days, its all one sided, but thats another subject.

JimJamBonds

Jedi Commander
May 22, 2005
www.myspace.com
I pretty much hate ESPN anymore now. Like you said, they are so blatantly one sided, its pathetic. They've taken every opportunity they can over the years to trash Nebraska, even during the times we were good. Like most so called journalism now days, its all one sided, but thats another subject.
ESPN is largely unwatchable, they have their teams and players they like and that is it. Too many ex jocks and too much pointless drivel. I haven't watched Sportscenter in I don't know how many years and I don't think I'm worse off for it.

You know what my favorite show is? I'm louder then you so I am right.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
The 2017 season is underway. Ohio State was slow, then BAM woke up in the 2nd half to blow the game open at Indiana (can't remember the last time OSU didn't play a cupcake in Columbus in their opener). Pitt took on Youngstown State at home, and the Penguins took the Panthers to OT, losing on an INT on the last play.

Snowtrooper

Jedi Apprentice
Sep 14, 2006
Nebraska beat Arkansas State just barely 41-34. New offense looks pretty good. New defense is terrible. If they don't get that fixed, we'll be lucky to win any games this season.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I don't give a fart about college football, but in the last 5 minutes of the Texas A&M / UCLA game at the Rose Bowl, UCLA returned a 35-point deficit to win 45-44. The final play was a FAKE SPIKE with 48 seconds left, and the Aggies bought it. Go Bruins!

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I only turned it on with them down by 13 in the 4th, so it lacked the true comeback feel for me, but that was still impressive.
I feel bad for FSU's QB, going down for the year in the part of the game when it was likely decided already.
Liberty beating Baylor and Howard topping UNLV were nice for their programs (not so for the "favorites," of course).

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I believe this weekend had a few matchups that pitted supported teams of Forumites here. I bow to TeeEye's Sooners over the Buckeyes at the Horseshoe tonight. :( Penn State handled Pitt easily (last year was a motivating factor, I'm certain). :( YSU shut out Robert Morris. :)

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
OSU and YSU had easy home victories (although, the Buckeyes were close with Army until the 2nd half), while Pitt played its second "revenge" game from last year (lost to Penn State last week; was boatraced by another OSU, from Oklahoma, yesterday), as now-top-10 teams got back at the Panthers for beating them in '16.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Satisfying when your team(s) win! ;) OSU shut out Rutgers on the road, with backups getting significant playing time. Pitt gets to feel what a WINNING blowout against a lesser opponent feels like, vs. Rice at home. And 5th-ranked YSU beats 4th-ranked SD State (no, the other SDSU) at the Ice Palace to go to 3-1.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
And, boy was that a game in Columbus! Down big early, with horrible special teams and even more horrible calls, Ohio State came back in the 4th quarter. Pitt won fairly easily over Virginia. But speaking of over, it appears the once-highly-ranked YSU Penguins' season is, too, after a home shutout loss. :(
Now there are just 5 undefeated teams left, IIRC. Go Central FL!