It's College Football Again!

Snowtrooper

Sith Apprentice
Sep 14, 2006
OOOOOOOOOOO UUUUUUUUUUUUU will hand Clemson its first loss of the season.
The Sooners will be motivated because of the Mayfield snub.
Its just as well. You don't want to have the heisman curse going into the playoffs.:beguiled:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Didn't really have a rooting interest in Utah/BYU (although, a former student is a Utes WR now), but listening to the 1st quarter updates on the radio was odd (5 turnovers in their first 5 possessions for BYU resulting in 5 TDs for Utah; BYU then scores the next 28 unanswered points in the game to lose by 7).

That record 41 bowl games (meaning 80 teams made the "post season" this year?) is really thinning out the competition: even some 5-7 teams are in?!? :confused:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Pitt lost to Navy in its "home" bowl game. At least the Midshipmen QB got his TD record back. I don't know what New Year's Day will be like with less bowls to watch (is that how people want to spend their N.Y.'s Eves instead?).

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I saw a headline of "Buckeyes are Fiesta Bowl Champions!" but it's only partially correct. It should have read: "Buckeyes are BattleFrog Fiesta Bowl Champions!" Oh yeah!

Huh? :confused:

And, bad idea to move the playoff games to a night people don't usually associate with football binge-watching (maybe something else binged on, though). :( Could ANYONE have seen those low ratings coming?

Snowtrooper

Sith Apprentice
Sep 14, 2006
And, bad idea to move the playoff games to a night people don't usually associate with football binge-watching (maybe something else binged on, though). :( Could ANYONE have seen those low ratings coming?
That and they weren't very exciting games to watch. I watched Bama/MSU and that was a major mismatch to say the least. Most of the major bowl games were blowouts this year, which was very disappointing. At least Oregon/TCU had some real excitement.

I'm glad Nebraska beat UCLA. Nice to end a bad season on at least a positive note.

DarthQuack

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 25, 2004
Albany
I have had zero interest in any of these bowl games...I usually don't to be honest. I did get myself really hyped when Notre Dame made the title game a few years ago, but then got destroyed by Alabama. :(

TeeEye7

Jedi Apprentice
I have had zero interest in any of these bowl games...I usually don't to be honest. I did get myself really hyped when Notre Dame made the title game a few years ago, but then got destroyed by Alabama. :(
There's WAY too many bowl games now. Teams with dismal records play each other in obscure places with even more obscure sponsors. They need to get rid of about 75% of these games. Stick with the original few.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
For the first time in a few years, Youngstown State doesn't begin the season with an FCS (is that still the name in the post-BCS world?) loss, but a 45-10 home win. Pitt and Ohio State handle their easy home opponents. Weird that there are still games to play today (Sunday) and tomorrow (Monday) to close out this college football opening weekend.

Snowtrooper

Sith Apprentice
Sep 14, 2006
Nebraska beats Fresno St. 43-10. They had a really nice tribute to Sam Foltz at the start of the game. Even the Fresno players wore a helmet sticker to honor him. Played ok overall, but still need to improve on things before the Oregon game.

JimJamBonds

Jedi Commander
May 22, 2005
www.myspace.com
Wisconsin beat LSU...wow its still hard to believe. It was a "neutral site game" but not really with it being in Green Bay. It'll be a tough year for the Badgers...but at least they got by with a W in this game.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
YSU gets paid to lose to WVU, OSU started slowly then poured it on versus a tough Tulsa team, and Pitt gets out to an early lead and holds on in its first game against Penn St. in some time. Next week, I predict that a certain SSG Forumite will not be on my side in the OSU/OU game. :rolleyes:

TeeEye7

Jedi Apprentice
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo--klahoma needs to get its act together. Especially before next week end. OSU (and I don't mean Oklahoma State University) will be no picnic.
Also, I will be at the game on Oct. 15. I'd like to see another win against Kansas St. as I did against West Virginia last year.

Snowtrooper

Sith Apprentice
Sep 14, 2006
Nebraska beats Wyoming 52-17. The game was closer than the final score indicates. It was 24-17 going into the fourth. Alot of dumb penalties from the O-Line. Going to have to do better if we want to beat Oregon next week.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
The word of the day this weekend was "delay." Pitt lost a shootout at OSU (the other one; no, that other other one) with an extended lightning delay (I learned a week earlier that if there is a reported lightning strike within 10 miles of the stadium, there's an automatic 30-minute wait until it's clear). YSU had a rain delay, then proceeded to close down Robert Morris (barely gave up 100 total yards to them, and just six points). OSU (yes, THE OSU) also had kickoff postponed over an hour, and then a result happened by the final whistle (sorry, TI). While the Buckeyes are thin on experience, their talent seems quite strong so far, on both sides of the ball.