Journey to SW: TFA trading cards

Apr 28, 2013
I first came across these at Target about two weeks ago, and found more just yesterday. Like the retro look to the cards. They have that 70s feel to them.

There are a few TFA cards mixed in, too. Some of the foil cards are pretty creative.

The Insider has four promo cards in the current issue. The bad thing is, you have to buy two issues to get all four cards.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
I finally saw them today and picked up a few packs; the hot pink and purple colors look really weird, but I really like the new photos I've not seen before. Got a couple TFA cards and some stickers and foils. I'll likely try to "set" this one through packs and other collectors' extras, rather than an online deal.

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
It's rather confusing how many different 4.99 packages they have at Target - hanger boxes, blister packs with 3 packs bundled, a "jumbo" pack. I went with a few hangers since they yielded the most cards, 18 I believe.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
It's rather confusing how many different 4.99 packages they have at Target - hanger boxes, blister packs with 3 packs bundled, a "jumbo" pack. I went with a few hangers since they yielded the most cards, 18 I believe.
Are those like the old 1980s clear three-section hangers? I have only seen the blue 6-card packs at two different Targets. I've bought about 10 packs or so, and have had few dupes, plus got a few cloth stickers, regular stickers, black/purple/pink borders. Still need about 60-ish more cards to complete the set (and have yet to get the Checklist, which for me is quite unusual).

Apr 28, 2013
I've only bought one $4.99 pack. The rest have been the $1.99 packs, which I found up front with all the other trading cards.

Been so busy with work that I haven't had time to sit down and try and put them in order.

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
Are those like the old 1980s clear three-section hangers? I have only seen the blue 6-card packs at two different Targets. I've bought about 10 packs or so, and have had few dupes, plus got a few cloth stickers, regular stickers, black/purple/pink borders. Still need about 60-ish more cards to complete the set (and have yet to get the Checklist, which for me is quite unusual).
No, these hangers are cardboard packages with no clear windows or anything like that. It looks like there's a subset that's exclusive to these hanger boxes. I found yet another packaging variation today - a cardboard box containing 10 of the 1.99 packs along with some sort of patch card for 19.99.

Apr 28, 2013
Bought a couple of more packs at Target. Gonna make time this week to sit down and sort and see where I stand with a set.

Apr 28, 2013
I was at the Dollar Tree getting some Halloween decorations and noticed a display box for these cards. I thought, that can't be right. But it was. Four cards for $1. I bought a few packs.

Apr 28, 2013
I was at the Dollar Tree getting some Halloween decorations and noticed a display box for these cards. I thought, that can't be right. But it was. Four cards for $1. I bought a few packs.
These are the blue-bordered basic cards. No stickers, no foils, nothing. But I got a good start on the basic set.

Also saw three-pack of Rebels cards at Dollar Tree.

Apr 28, 2013
I attended the Cincinnati Toy Show this weekend. There was one vendor with a set of the basic blue cards for $15 and the green subset for $25. I passed on both.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I've been reading the backs of cards; odd to have a front photo that doesn't match the movie description at all. And there's an error on the backs: #9 comes before #8 for Star Wars ANH. :eek: Still, I like the different pictures I haven't seen as screen shots before.

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
Target's Cartwheel app has a 10% off offer on all Topps SW products like the cards and dog tags. It doesn't expire until 12/31 so this should help in our set building efforts.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I was at Target today, and tried one of those $4.99 hanger boxes with 16 cards (but it said there'd only be 13 cards if you got a special insert one; I tried Indiana Jones-weighing them in my hand and bought my guess as the lightest box :whip: )... which netted me about half of the cards being ones I didn't have.

My extras are:
6, 7, 26, 27, 31, 34-36, 41, 44, 45, 48, 50-52, 54, 56, 72, 78, 82, 83, 90. Foils F1, F7 (2). Choose Your Destiny CD7. Concept Art CA6 (2), CA7 (2). Behind the Scenes orange border 9. A few "free pack" digital card packs cards.

Apr 28, 2013
The hanger boxes are all gone from my Targets. Individual packs are all that's left.

I saw that Hot Topic (of all places) had the cards.

Apr 28, 2013
I was in Walgreens over the weekend and saw a special pack of TFA cards. One of the eight red cards was on top. I bought the pack, and got 3 of the 8 cards.

Apr 28, 2013
I bought a bunch of loose blue cards from one of the guys at the SW club Christmas party. Need to sit down and put them in sleeves next. Still might be missing one or two but at least I'll have a better idea of where I stand.

Apr 28, 2013
I had an email this morning from my card guy saying he has sets for sale. Don't know if they are retail or hobby exclusive. Will be at the comic shop tomorrow.