Kyber crystal: why R2D2 woke up and Ben Solo theory

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
Star Wars escapist time!

Kyber crystal: my theory on why R2D2 woke up in the force awakens only when Rey arrives. Maybe Luke was using a kyber crystal in R2D2 so only a Force-sensitive could reactivate R2 and complete the map? Furthermore, he hoped that maybe Ben Solo would return to the light side and sense it, only because his mother and father allowed him to come to that secret base? Maybe he never thought Rey would come, but hoped Ben would find the right path?

In Rogue One a character can sense the kyber crystal carried by another character without getting into specific spoilers because they are not necessary for A Force Awakens discussion.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I think the theory even has more meaning here: red lightsabers were caused by using synthetic crystals and the Sith commanded the Force while the Jedi were supposed to submit to its will. Perhaps Ben did not complete his Jedi training and the Kyber crystal put in R2D2 to keep him on low power was the very one that Ben was supposed to use to make his Jedi lightsaber. He would only be able to find it by returning to the light side. But by being Kylo Ren, he chose to do things the easy way unless if he was trying to find Snoke, who I bet he'd never met in person yet all through episode 7, just spoke to Holograms like nute gunray did, and left with the intention of destroying him since his mother could not defeat the First Order and Luke wasn't doing it either.

It would redeem the sequel trilogy as no copy of the original if they did something as wild as made the bad guy turning into a good guy. It would totally explain kylo Ren saying he'll finish what The Chosen One started (grandpa). And why he felt it worth taking his father's life.

But Rey is the new Chosen One and snoke will try to turn her. Luke will team up with Ben to bring her back to the light side (she turns dark at the end of 8) and Ben will die to do so, because they wouldn't want to show him killing his dad and living happily ever after.

This is my theory. But who knows? Still I kind of like this idea. You can respond or share yours.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Well, with about 3 weeks until the opening weekend, here are some theories based on information known for certain, as shown in TFA:

- Leia and Han know about Snoke. They know he trained/is training their son. Ben/Kylo may be "the boy" Luke was training to be a Jedi who messed everything up and made Luke go into hiding. Of course, there might just be "another." Could Snoke be the boy?
- Apparently, the Resistance knew where the First Order's base was, even to be able to track power build-ups in their weapon. The galaxy seems to know about the First Order, as Bala Tik contacts someone who can contact them, and has heard of their "bounty" on a BB droid. Even on a backwater world like Jakku a scavenger like Rey has heard of both organizations. So Snoke and the FO aren't secretive or hidden, like the Resistance apparently is/isn't?
- For some reason, R2 can get dust on top of his dome with a tarp over him. That could mean he was in low-power mode for a long time before the Resistance threw a cover over him and stuck him in a corner.
- I'm still trying to figure out the weird looks between Han & Kylo on the catwalk near the end of TFA, as both hold the hilt of Kylo's sword. I am reminded of Obi-Wan's sideways glance when Luke asks him in ANH how his father died.
- Han says people thought Luke went looking for the "original Jedi temple." I wonder if any TCW or Rebels cartoons locations might appear.
- FO stormtroopers have been trained since most were children, so assume around 15 years or more. Luke's existence as "a myth" would likely need at least that much time. If 30 years have elapsed since ROJ, and Kylo's around his mid-20s, with Rey in her early-20s, Luke probably had a decade or so to train students. Will there be a few "last Jedi" to make appearances, rather than one single last one?
- We don't see Luke's own lightsaber in TFA, just Anakin's, that somehow got to Maz in a box. Where's the hand that rocked the handle? Will Luuke appear as a clone? We hear various Jedi voices in the dream sequence when Rey touches the saber hilt; will any Force Ghosts interact, like in ESB?
- At some point, someone (or he himself) got to Endor and found Vader's mask for Kylo. Any other debris from DS2 make it down to the surface?
- And the most important detail: I tried to look closely at the island at the end of TFA, to see if any Porgs are clearly visible. Will there be a director's cut of it that includes close-ups and CGI inserts of herds (flocks? pods? murders? prides?) of them?