L.A. area Just Found

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Targets near me have some of their SW toys at 50% off. If you need R1 Leia or Jyn, or any pegwarming TFA background characters, you waited long enough! Some ships are half-off, too (Poe's X-Wing, FO TIE, Rebels single vehicles), as well as the crummy Hot Wheels (ships, not characters).

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Went to Los Feliz TRU last night after the Back to School Night festivities at work - a 14 hour work day, but I didn't want to mess up my streak of attending all the midnight madness events since the first one back in 1999. I was about the 20th person in line, so I made it in time to get the free poster (of the new AT-AT wannabe thing - not bad, wish it would be made for 3 3/4" figures, but that won't happen anytime soon) and the free t-shirt. Didn't buy a single thing for a few reasons: (1) they had -maybe- just two cases of Black Series and just one of each of the sure to be peg warmers remained by the time I entered, (2) I can't bring myself to buy 5 POA of this stuff which was plentiful, (3) I'm too cheap not to see the MASSIVE clearances these things all go through, and, most dominantly, (4) I don't really want to look at the toys for a movie I don't want spoiled - one I'm already super apprehensive about as is. I wish I'd never seen that new guards will be in this or that there will be characters in disguises and I can't stand looking at some of these character designs (specifically Goldmember). I have very low expectations for this film as it is. I don't want to see photos or toys that only increase the pre-let down I've felt since images began trickling out after the trailer. I don't read reports or rumors and I try to avoid new photos. I want to go in fresh, likely into something that I'll end up disliking. Anyway, rant over.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Torrance Walmart this morning had an ok supply of stuff, even the Probe Droid which I nearly bought then put down because I'm dumb. :p The only TBS 6" they had was 3 of the Vader, and within 10 minutes those were gone too. Tons of the TBS 6" vehicles - landspeeder and Rey bike, I passed, but they're tempting.

Fox Hills Target had bupkis of note in the main toy area except Porgs, lots of different Porgs products. Later JabbaJohn reminded me the main section's behind that in the seasonal section - great plan, Target, great way to get me to notice this... oh wait. They had a cardboard display to put your hand on and have Rey light up a lightsaber, it mainly went off whenever it saw people though.

Culver City TRU had a decent amount of product in 2 good displays, although it was being picked through (mostly hot wheels when I was there), had a few of each of the General Leia TBS6 wave. I bought the A-wing there.

Culver City Target had some smashed-bubble basic figures, a few odds and ends and vehicles, but equally sad in the toy department proper. Didn't think to check in the seasonal section. :p

La Cienega TRU had a sad section, lots and lots of old product mixed around. They had the giant BB-8 playset which itself comes with a force link gauntlet. Then it turned out THEY had more product in the seasonals, but their seasonals is by baby stuff so I only noticed on the way out, grabbed the hot wheels I wanted.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I wanted a Luke Jedi Master. I realized his sculpt looks little like Hamill, and apparently he has no weapons or accessories. Still, I got one (corner of card was a tad dented, but girl, he'll be an opened man, soon) from Target. And Rey. Other 3 3/4" figs did nothing for me (didn't want another Poe Pilot, Threepio wasn't even recognizable with TWO GOLD ARMS, no more Kylos, and WHY another Hux clone?). No 6" figures (except with vehicle), few Hot Wheels left (picked up Phasma). Used target's coupon so the 2 novels filled up that total quickly. Tried Barnes & Noble: nada worth it there.

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
I had a different Force Friday experience than normal. My sister was running in the Disneyland 5K, 10K and then 1/2 Marathon over the weekend so on the morning of Force Friday, I visited the Target on Harbor and Chapman where there were only 6 of us waiting. Got 6" Hera, Vader (never opened the 40th Early Bird one) and Stormie Executioner. Over in the Disney Parks, I got the new BB Droid Factory 4 pack and the Last Jedi 2 pack of green droids plus the Lego Resistance Pod set. The parks had no shortage of 6" whatsoever. 3.75" POA were actually in less supply than the 6". I did buy one 5POA, Paige, as she's not likely to get a figure in Black Series 3.75" or the upcoming TVC.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
A quick look online (search for its full name: Comic Con Revolution) shows $25 tickets ($30 at the door), for Sat. 5/13 (opens at 10am) at the Ontario Convention Center (which has horrid parking; if we decide to go, I'm about 4 miles up the street and can "host" people's cars and we can drive down in one). I'd be interested.
The 2018 edition has one major addition that intrigues me to go... TIMOTHY ZAHN as a guest! It's scheduled for May 19-20 in the same convention center (ticket prices online show as $40 for adult weekend passes, either $25 Sat. or $20 Sun. for single days). Stan Sakai (of Usagi Yojimbo fame) is also listed. This could be a nice get-together plan.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
I attended last time and it was an okay, small show. There was some kind of a quinceañera happening in the hall next door to the convention, which made for some fun cross-pollination of attendees. Hopefully, the show can expand its vendors and exhibitors area and extend itself next year into the entire venue.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
In their 50% off discount Halloween costumes section, I got a Vader mask at Target for $1.50 because it had no bar code and I brought a couple others to the cashier (Kylo, a much smaller DV) as similar products to scan.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
So I got 6 inch Rey and DJ. I'm going to buy another phasma when she comes out again but I'm disappointed she doesn't have the spear.

Is there a good thread in these forms to discuss things like how I really want them to make Luke as a Jedi master before Ben turned?

In spite of sales trouble with the character I want Rose in the first order uniform too.

What about a Leia from The Last Jedi? How about Luke in his dark outfit? Different praetorian guard single packaged?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
A quick look online (search for its full name: Comic Con Revolution) shows $25 tickets ($30 at the door), for Sat. 5/13 (opens at 10am) at the Ontario Convention Center (which has horrid parking; if we decide to go, I'm about 4 miles up the street and can "host" people's cars and we can drive down in one). I'd be interested.
Those were the 2017 details: this year, it's in the same location but on May 19-20. I bought my weekend ticket ($40, plus all the online extra fees of course), mainly because TIMOTHY ZAHN is scheduled to be there. He'll have written 2 Thrawn books since the last time I saw him at a gathering (LA Times Festival of Books, over a decade ago), and might offer some interesting perspective on the new SW universe expansions.

Oh, and I have bought virtually no SW items lately, unless they were books.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I went to the Ontario Comic Con Revolution last year and it was ok. Hoping they expand this year.
Maradona; was it a multiple-day event in '17, or just a single day? How easy was it to navigate the convention center (I know it's nowhere near as huge as San Diego's) and/or parking? (I would still offer my house as a car-depot to head out as a group, if any Forumites want to go)

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Maradona; was it a multiple-day event in '17, or just a single day? How easy was it to navigate the convention center (I know it's nowhere near as huge as San Diego's) and/or parking? (I would still offer my house as a car-depot to head out as a group, if any Forumites want to go)
It was a one day event, but it did not occupy the entirety of the convention center. There was a rather large quinceañera being held in the hall next to the room used as the exhibit hall. The place was very easy to navigate as it was not packed. I waited longer at the Marie Calendar's for lunch.