Midwest Earthquake

Ji'dai

Jedi Apprentice
Oct 31, 2002
Indiana
jpanix.tripod.com
I was awakened out of a deep sleep around 5:30 this morning by a rather loud booming sound that shook the walls of my bedroom. Stuff was falling off my dresser and I sat straight up in bed, wondering what the hell was going on.

My first thought was tornado - and I jumped out of bed, pulled on some shorts and rushed to the front door to look outside, but the night skies were clear and stars were shining. There was a train going by on the track in the distance, but trains on that line have never shook the house like this. It had to be an earthquake.

So I flipped on the TV and sure enough the local news anchors started reporting calls about the quake and said that the studio was hit too.

According to CNN, an earthquake measuring 5.2 magnitude hit the Midwest. The epicenter was in southern Illinois near the Indiana border.

I'm sure SoCal forumites will probably pooh-pooh us Midwesterners, but earthquake tremors aren't a part of daily life here. So did anyone else feel it?

TeeEye7

Jedi Apprentice
I'm sure SoCal forumites will probably pooh-pooh us Midwesterners, but earthquake tremors aren't a part of daily life here.
Here's one SoCal-er who won't. Those bad boys are an awesome, scary experience! I've been through some nasty ones, including the Sylmar quake, where our house sustained some pretty good damage. We're just "lucky" to have them often that we tend to get complacent if they're "small". But 5.2 ain't small! That will certainly get your attention. I'm just glad you're OK, and no worse for the wear having gone through it! :thumbsup:

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
So that's what that was, I've never been through an earthquake before, so I thought it was just a super strong wind gust rocking my building. I felt the 10:15 aftershock for sure, I also thought it might be a tornado.

Jedi_Kal-El

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 6, 2008
Delirious
www.myspace.com
I live in South Bend and it didn't even wake me up. Being from Vegas and having so many decent Cali quakes rip me out of bed when I was younger. This one was nothing to me.

Jargo

Jedi Commander
Aug 16, 2001
frickin frackin exciting isn't it? i was all hyped up like a goofball on speed when the quake hit us here in the uk. it was so surreal. you watch footage slowed down to show the way a quake shakes buildings but until you experience that movement and see the walls moving for yourself it just doesn't register that things like that happen for real. and the noise too. that's what i didn't expect. like a big passenger plane going overhead really low. but not like that at all when you think about it after, it's more like a sustained echo of something very very big fallen a long way down into an underground cavern. a huge bass boom. and it seems to be all around rather than coming from any one direction.

I have to say I loved our quake. I want more. which is sad i know but it takes a lot to get me excited and danger is something that does. makes me feel alive.

Neuroleptic

Jedi Initiate
Nov 20, 2007
Nope. Didn't feel it. I'm all the way out here in Kansas though, so that's a bit farther away. They say this area is on a biiiig fault line, but we havn't had an earth quake here . . . ever. Or at least, none that anyone alive remembers.

I know this sounds crazy to people in california who have been through them, but I'd love to be in one just once to see what it's like.

Course, people not from tornado ally say the same thing about tornados. And they probably get the same reaction I will for saying this, which is,

"Oh no you DON'T want to go through one!"

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
frickin frackin exciting isn't it? i was all hyped up like a goofball on speed when the quake hit us here in the uk. it was so surreal. you watch footage slowed down to show the way a quake shakes buildings but until you experience that movement and see the walls moving for yourself it just doesn't register that things like that happen for real. and the noise too. that's what i didn't expect. like a big passenger plane going overhead really low. but not like that at all when you think about it after, it's more like a sustained echo of something very very big fallen a long way down into an underground cavern. a huge bass boom. and it seems to be all around rather than coming from any one direction.

I have to say I loved our quake. I want more. which is sad i know but it takes a lot to get me excited and danger is something that does. makes me feel alive.
It was pretty exciting and you described it pretty well. Like a thunderclap at it's most intense, but it doesn't die down after just a second or two, it keeps on going. Very cool, I almost can't wait for the next one, as long as it's not on the same level as the New Madrid quake from 1812.

Lord Malakite

Jedi Council Member
Sep 30, 2001
Williamsburg, OH
I sure noticed it and I live about 30 to 40 minutes east of Cincinnati. I was actually on here doing my daily mod rounds when it struck. From here there wasn't really any noticible damage or extreme shaking (as most of you nearer to Illinois might have experienced), but you could definately hear it and see a few things (like the PC monitor) lightly vibrating. The thing I noticed the most was the windows and doors rattling (sounded like multiple people were trying to break in at every possible entrance/exit in the house). At the time that it hit the first thing that popped into my mind was earthquake, so I immediately went to the TV to confirm my suspicions. Unfortunately the Cincinnati news stations didn't start reporting anything about an earthquake until some 10 to 15 minutes later when their stations were being flooded with calls. :D

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
Hehe. Sleeping through it. You'd make a natural Californian, Frett.

Yeah, earthquakes aren't "special" out here in Cali. But I have to have an escape plan should it be necessary. I will probably try to save my cats, but that'll be it.

It was interesting that one should hit Illinois though.

Ji'dai

Jedi Apprentice
Oct 31, 2002
Indiana
jpanix.tripod.com
What struck me - and Jargo and bigbarada mentioned this in their posts - was how loud it was. It was the noise that got me out of bed, which was why I thought it might be a tornado. I've never experienced one of those first hand, but tornados are always likened to the roar of a freight train passing close by.

Apparently there were aftershocks all morning, including a fairly major one mid-morning, but I didn't feel those at all.

But I survived and there wasn't any real harm done that could see from the house, garage, and sidewalks. In fact the only real casualities were some of my SW figures that toppled over on their shelves. About a dozen need to be put back in place. It could be worse - I've got nearly 500 loose SW figures on display, most without stands!

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
Yeah, I hated that part of earthquakes - what with doing dioramas and all.

Putting your figures on Clear Stands resolves most of that, but the vibrations still turn them and they wind up shooting in the wrong direction or with Han kissing Chewbacca.

Deoxyribonucleic

Jedi Apprentice
I know this sounds crazy to people in california who have been through them, but I'd love to be in one just once to see what it's like.
You know what, that doesn't sound crazy at all. It is a feeling unlike any other. :yes:

In hopes of not jinxing myself, I used to live up in Washington on some islands near Seattle and now I live in So. Cal and I've experienced WAY more earthquakes up in Washington than here!

Course, people not from tornado ally say the same thing about tornados. And they probably get the same reaction I will for saying this, which is,
Never, ever, ever, ever do I even want to see the hint of a tornado! I hate them, the way they look just seems to go against nature! They scare the S*** outta me!

mabudonicus

Jedi Apprentice
Jan 3, 2002
Protecting my secret identity
Me and Elf were on a bus in the middle of the praries when I looked out the bus window and saw a funnel cloud forming (took a picture since I was pretty sure we were about to see something impressive)

It came straight down and made a full-on funnel, the sky went dark and then everything went MAD, the bus got the CRAP knocked out of it by HUGE hailstones which were coming horizontally from all directions, something busted some part of the bus roof and water started pouring in, everyone on the bus sat in silence fro about 10 pretty frightening minutes as the bus pulled over and we just kinda hoped we wouldn't get hit by the actual twister

Needless to say we didn't die, but it was DAMN scary.

We get quite a few earthquakes around here but most you'd have to be lying on the ground somewhere far away from any roads in order to notice them
:bored: Iso&Baws
The local drive in got one of its screens torn down by a FREAK tornado while showing the movie "Twister", no joke

bobafrett

Jedi Commander
Never, ever, ever, ever do I even want to see the hint of a tornado! I hate them, the way they look just seems to go against nature! They scare the S*** outta me!
We had a huge windstorm here last summer. They weren't sure initially if it was a tornado, but it was what was described as "microbursts". We lost two large trees in our backyard, and power was out for three days or so. The thing is, I didn't know this was going on, so I am out driving in this, and I started noticing huge trees laying across roads. I went to work and had one delivery, but it had been made just prior to the power loss at the pizza ria.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
5.4 quake in SoCA today

Just as I felt another aftershock, hope no one lost anything or was hurt from today's temblor. It was centered maybe about 15 miles away from my place.

[edit: that recent aftershock was a 3.4... check out this site for USGA reports for Nevada and California] Check for Shakin' Places

Last edited:

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
Huh. I felt this but dismissed it as I thought it might be my cat jumping around on my bed and I went back to sleep.

I woke only for the brief thought of implementing my earthquake emergency plan which would involve getting down their cat-carrier from the closet and being prepared to pack them in it and get out of my building fast.

Except for doorframes, I don't really have a safe place to "duck and cover." My dining room table is GLASS and that's the last thing I want to be under.

Ji'dai

Jedi Apprentice
Oct 31, 2002
Indiana
jpanix.tripod.com
5.4... I thought that was pretty mild for you SoCal folks.

We had a tremor here a week or so ago, near the epicenter of the quake we had last spring, but I didn't feel it at all.

Here, we've just had to contend with floods (early June) and thunderstorms (all through July) with destructive winds.

TeeEye7

Jedi Apprentice
5.4... I thought that was pretty mild for you SoCal folks.
Nope. That magnitude in an attention-getter, and cause for concern.

I'm a little over a hundred miles north, but some folks in the south part of town felt a bit of it. I didn't or didn't notice. We have a house being built across the street and they've been pouring concrete most of the day. A lot of rumbling and noise from the trucks easily would have masked it.