Midwest Earthquake

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
The images of the collapsed school and the ensuing rescue attempts to find trapped children are devastating.

There was a 6.1 in New Zealand two days, so the "Ring of Fire" is not letting weather be the only destructive story this month.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
The LA Times site reports it too, along with a 6.1 aftershock in Mexico and a 3.4 in North Korea near a nuclear facility.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
There have been a few 4.0+ and more 3.0+ quakes up and down the CA state in the past couple weeks, in no particular pattern I can determine. IIRC, there was an on-shore 5.0 one a bit back, too.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
I felt it during my fourth period class. The students, thankfully engaged in a debate on the viability of cryonics as a medical solution, did not. When they asked me what I thought about the subject, I had one word for them: carbonite. Then I pointed to a Han in carbonite figurine I have in class and many rolled their eyes in unison.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I felt it during my fourth period class. The students, thankfully engaged in a debate on the viability of cryonics as a medical solution, did not. When they asked me what I thought about the subject, I had one word for them: carbonite. Then I pointed to a Han in carbonite figurine I have in class and many rolled their eyes in unison.
If they only knew the power of the force equation! I find their lack of faith disturbing. See ya around, kids. ;) :BrushOffTheDust:

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I felt a 2.6 the other night that I think between the Inland area and the coast, kinda surprised as it's been a while. Hopefully the faults are letting off that energy gently and slowly instead of blasting a big quake soon.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I too hope the little-quakes-ease-for-a-bigger-one is a real thing.

Two 4.0+ and a 3.0 temblors off the coast of SoCal (San Clemente Island) today; almost 1600 total in CA and NV over the past week.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
That downgraded-6.2 one is back to a 6.4, but now called a foreshock, since the 7.1 last night is now considered "the" earthquake of this series. Website shows over 3300+ quakes in the past week; I am sure that's the most I've ever noticed while tracking them online. It's been nervous around here the past couple days, wondering if The Big One is due, and if people are as prepared as they should be. The Ridgecrest area (about 120 miles northeast of here, in the Mojave Desert along the way [sort of] to Las Vegas, for those not in this region) has been the epicenter, and hit hard with the repeated aftershocks and damage.