Midwest Earthquake

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I felt the 6.4 here in Culver City on Independence Day morning, I'm in a 3-story and looking at another one, watched the big tree outside my window sway wildly and the large windows across from me ripple. The movement lasted a long time, almost a minute, and got stronger as it went - possibly the waves catching up with each other, possibly one of the foreshocks stepping on the original. The sound was the trees moving, a lot of "whooshing" which is unusual. The movement was strong but the motion was more rounded and gentle because it was so far away.

Then I felt last night's 7.1 and it lasted even longer, the motion wasn't as gentle, this time the tree sound came with building creaking. I heard from folks in Long Beach who felt it greatly, and in Vegas; supposedly it was felt as far as Redding CA, Mexico, Phoenix AZ, even Utah. That quake was no screwing around even here, 170 miles away from the epicenter; it was one of 12 quakes 7.0 or larger that have been recorded in California, going back as far as 1857 with the strongest quake recorded, a 7.9. Searles Valley where the epicenter is has seen several 5.0 or greater aftershocks already.

I got an emergency bag together with my harddrive backup, the only radio I could find which was an old MP3 player, battery backup and charger for the cellphone, knife, multitool, flashlight with more batteries, clif bars, jacket, extra set of keys, small first aid kit, and it's next to my boots so if I have to go, I can GO. Hopefully this is the last of it for our area, but Ridgecrest and the naval weapons testing facility are still picking up the pieces, still getting hit with aftershocks so hopefully they make it through intact.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
In looking at the quake website, there are so many shown that it now has a 3-D appearance on the screen. It's over 3700 total quakes; so many 3.0+ that they don't stand out as easily when scrolling down. :(

I heard a news report that someone's emergency water container in the area was knocked over AND had a crack; c'mon, Mother Nature! Let those thinking ahead have a break, please! Hope everybody gets to feel safer and more secure soon.

[edit] I know they're just numbers, and the human aspect is much more important, but the week quake total from the site is now over 4500, an unthinkable amount. [re-edit] Until today's total of 5600+ appears (and just in the Ridgecrest/Trona region: around 400 of those at 3.0+ magnitude). Wow.

Last edited:

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Yeah, it's insane how bad this is, and it's affecting other faults in the area including other states. There's a chance it'll trigger quakes on closer faults, which would suuuuuuuck.

My emergency radio/device charger is showing up tomorrow.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Today's newspaper mentioned "quake selfies," where people are driving out to those areas for photos. Hmm.

The CA/NV website shows 7337 earthquakes within the past week; that is seven days since the foreshock on the 4th.

[edit] Reports are that a death in NV may be related to the quakes, the first over this whole situation. And there are just under 9000 earthquakes shown now; but thankfully, there really haven't been any large ones since.

Last edited: