Mlb 2017 and more

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Amazing that after, what, 6 days of playing, every MLB team has at least one win. Yay! End the season now; we're all winners! :p :30waytie:

[edit] And one day later, all have lost, as well. Experience the emptiness and void of life, humans. :professionalExistentialism:

Last edited:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Pirates win! (that's been rare lately, as they broke a 5- or 6-game slide... hard to keep track :( ) They'll play in the Williamsport area versus the Cardinals tonight. Pittsburgh got TO .500 but can't seem to break that barrier.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Did somebody ask if there's a 2017 MLB thread? Nope, sadly there is not.
I still am hoping for an LA/Houston series, so James Taylor can do a benefit concert for the disasters near both cities and open with "Fire and Rain."

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Wow! I missed tonight's entire game due to parent conference night. I had zero opportunities to check the score because I take conferences pretty seriously, so you can imagine my surprise when the principal gets on the PA and announces the end of conferences by stating the Dodger score of 11-1. The kids and parents went nuts. I'm stunned that we made it. I keep expecting losses after 29 years of disappointment. Maybe this will finally be the year...

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
I can attest to how hot it was at game time since I live across the ravine from Dodger Stadium. It was sweltering! I'm going to walk over to the stadium tomorrow just to be in the World Series atmosphere. I still don't want to say the Dodgers will win it all - had too many hopes dashed over the years - but I sure would celebrate if they pull it off.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
I walked down to the stadium for game 2 just to be in the World Series environment - if even on the outside. Walked around until the end of the 4th inning and got back home for the bottom of the 5th. Ultimately, this was probably the best World Series game I've ever seen. I've only been watching since the 80s and there have been a few Series that I didn't pay too much attention to, so there may have been better games, but I can't think of one off the top of my head that tops it. Yesterday's game 3 sure did not. Now the only hope for me is that there be at least a game 6 here on Halloween.

Lord Malakite

Jedi Council Member
Sep 30, 2001
Williamsburg, OH
Game 2 was cray-cray. Okay, it wasn't THAT bad. :rolleyes: But does anyone know why various U2 songs keep getting played during the FOX broadcasts?
Thanks to that stolen base from game 2 we all can get a free del loco taco at Taco Bell on November 1 between the hours of 2PM and 6PM.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
My heart can't take this World Series! The euphoria of the crowd is about ten seconds ahead of the broadcast feed so I hear all these loud pops outside the window in reaction to stuff I haven't seen yet. Game 7 will be so hard to watch.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Well that was eerie. Just before I entered this thread to see the new post I said to myself jokingly that I bet this post would open with "My heart can't take this".
And on that note, I'm about to stop watching. This series has taught me not to take any scenario for granted, but down 5-0 seems rightfully insurmountable. I think I'll go find myself a burger and fries to comfort me out of this dread.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I thought, once the Dodgers got on that historic run during this season, that 2018 would be the year they'd win it all. Once the playoffs started, I wondered if I was premature. Why, should "next year" be the one? The symmetry of an even 30 years since 1988, giving Vin Sully a full year in retirement to enjoy another title, and having this year's result drive them to greater heights.

As a Pittsburgh Pirates fan (try 38 years since the last title, plus that two-decade drought of sub-.500 seasons) living in SoCal, I can still appreciate the 2017 year for LA. Houston had a rough '17 with the hurricane and floods; this won't change that, but it soothes people somewhat.