New Hallmark Ornaments for sale on Saturday

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
DarkJedi, the Yoda (not the Child one) this year looks different (it says he MOVES!?!), and has a 40th ESB logo on the box. Of the ones already out, the "Lack of Faith" Motti/Vader one has dialogue (weird choice, for such a warm family holiday time...), and BB-8 has sound effects. The later ones: X-Wing Rebel helmet and Yoda have sounds. None of the others appear to need batteries.

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
DarkJedi, the Yoda (not the Child one) this year looks different (it says he MOVES!?!), and has a 40th ESB logo on the box. Of the ones already out, the "Lack of Faith" Motti/Vader one has dialogue (weird choice, for such a warm family holiday time...), and BB-8 has sound effects. The later ones: X-Wing Rebel helmet and Yoda have sounds. None of the others appear to need batteries.
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out to see more about what the Yoda one actually does. So far there's no little clip of the audio or "action."

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
The post-holiday discounting of Hallmark stuff actually surprised me: the ornaments were 40% off already, and there were still some "good" ones left on the day after Christmas. I snagged Red 5 helmet (not sure why I didn't get it earlier), a mini Darth's TIE (last one left), and a Pittsburgh Penguins hockey rink one (last one, as well). I left "A Lack of Faith," perhaps the worst-ever SW Hallmark holiday ornament idea (a choking scene, with SOUNDS of it, and a not-appropriate-for-kids name, too! ); a BB-8 I didn't recall seeing before (but it was dull); a picture frame R2; and the non-Keepsake basic ones. With a coupon, it was a good deal.

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Nov 9, 2018
Be careful with the Red 5 helmet. The microphone is fragile and could easily snap off. Had to be careful with it when I put the batteries in.

I went online Saturday morning and ordered the miniature helmet set, and three of the four mini ornaments. The fourth mini, the X wing, was only available in stores, so I had to run to the store to get it.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Be careful with the Red 5 helmet. The microphone is fragile and could easily snap off. Had to be careful with it when I put the batteries in.

I went online Saturday morning and ordered the miniature helmet set, and three of the four mini ornaments. The fourth mini, the X wing, was only available in stores, so I had to run to the store to get it.
I noticed when I took it out that the mic seemed to move; thanks for covering my 6, OC, I mean, my 5, Red 5!

I bought the ESB Luke when it first came out (I needed one more ornament for a discount), passing on Vader, his TIE, and the X-Wing since I have them in different forms already. But at 40% off, the TIE was too good to pass up. Those 4 silver mini helmets look nice on the tree; shiny!

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out to see more about what the Yoda one actually does. So far there's no little clip of the audio or "action."
I got this one for Christmas, so I can answer my own question now. The ornament does move and it’s really pretty spectacular. The lips move (although not in perfect sync) with the dialogue and the eyes “blink.” If this is an indication of where these ornaments are going, I’m pretty excited about the future applications.

The post-holiday discounting of Hallmark stuff actually surprised me: the ornaments were 40% off already, and there were still some "good" ones left on the day after Christmas. I snagged Red 5 helmet (not sure why I didn't get it earlier), a mini Darth's TIE (last one left), and a Pittsburgh Penguins hockey rink one (last one, as well). I left "A Lack of Faith," perhaps the worst-ever SW Hallmark holiday ornament idea (a choking scene, with SOUNDS of it, and a not-appropriate-for-kids name, too! ); a BB-8 I didn't recall seeing before (but it was dull); a picture frame R2; and the non-Keepsake basic ones. With a coupon, it was a good deal.
Now, originally I would have agreed wit you. Nothing says Christmas like choking out a subordinate. But when compared to some of the other Star Wars ornaments I’ve collected over the years (my ROTS duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan where they’re jut yelling at each other springs to mind) it’s not that out of place. Also, it’s inclusion of Vader has made it a pretty fast favorite with my 2 and 3 year olds. Maybe my family is just weird (okay, I know we are, we have a whole small tree dedicated just to my Star Wars ornaments) but you could probably have an ornament of Obi-Wan lopping off Ponda Baba’s arm and the kids wouldn’t bat an eye. Actually, my son loves Ponda Baba for some reason so it might be a new favorite!

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Nov 9, 2018
The Vader/Motti ornament was an odd choice.

You're not odd, DarkJedi. We had 7 trees in the house this year, the most. At least one in every room except the kitchen and bathroom. I did something different. I bought two small trees, an impulse thing really. One became my Christmas Story tree and the second one was for Christmas Vacation. Those were in my home office.

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
The Vader/Motti ornament was an odd choice.

You're not odd, DarkJedi. We had 7 trees in the house this year, the most. At least one in every room except the kitchen and bathroom. I did something different. I bought two small trees, an impulse thing really. One became my Christmas Story tree and the second one was for Christmas Vacation. Those were in my home office.
Yeah, this has been my third year or so with a dedicated (mini) Star Wars tree and my kids usually spend more time looking at that one than the big one in the living room. Here's a pic I took of it before Christmas (so it doesn't include this years' haul which included the aforementioned Lack of Faith) as well as a wreath I put together with just the story-teller ornaments that interact with each other.

Attachments

• IMG_2201.jpeg
    IMG_2201.jpeg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2202.jpeg
    IMG_2202.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1

The OC47150

Jedi Initiate
Nov 9, 2018
Nice. I like.

I bought the talking Harry Potter ornaments for my wife. They use the power cord. Whenever you turn the tree on, all of the characters sounds off. You hit another button, and you get dialogue from half of the first HP movie.

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
Nice. I like.

I bought the talking Harry Potter ornaments for my wife. They use the power cord. Whenever you turn the tree on, all of the characters sounds off. You hit another button, and you get dialogue from half of the first HP movie.
I was looking at those for my wife (she's a big HP fan) but Sorcerer's Stone isn't her favorite movie so she is hoping that they revisit this concept with some more dynamic versions of the characters or a different book/movie. But that's exactly how they Star Wars ones go. You get the capture of the Tantive IV, Destruction of Alderaan, Falcon's capture then escape from the Death Star, then about the whole Battle of Yavin.