Not at all happy with the current direction of SW EU

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
The Kenobi book came out in hardcover that year, and is due in paperback soon. So, I'd call it an almost-last of the EU, despite their change on the cover (with the "Legends" strip across). I also liked the storyline.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Is that one of the "new" EU books, or one of the last of the old?
If only someone would be so helpful as to create a list of the new canon. ;) As BCJ mentioned, this book will have the Legends banner when it gets published in paperback.

A few more SPOILERY comments about the end of the book – Obi-Wan helps Annileen get into a school on Alderaan, which seems a little ostentatious to me. Won't people ask her about who helped her get there? Doesn't having a connection between Obi-Wan on Tatooine and Bail Organa on Alderaan seem like a bad idea? I also thought it was a little goofy for the Tuskens to turn Orrin into one of their own. Keeping him around to help them get water makes sense, but you'd think they would just keep him as a prisoner, not have him wear Tusken robes.

Apr 28, 2013
Bought the DK SW: Rebels book with some birthday money. It's not bad. Nice illustrations. I learned one or two things about the new show that I wasn't aware of. Picked up a few new ideas for customizing, though.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I finished (very quickly) the second Jedi Academy book by Jeffrey Brown (of Darth Vader & Son fame), Jedi Academy: Return of the Padawan. Not as good as the first was, but it's developing into a decent series with issues and content that teens and tweens and pre-teens would relate to better than some old fossil like me. Kind of like Harry Potter (without the "Chosen One" theme, but certainly has the fish-out-of-water one). The "Ewok Pilot" comics are by far the best parts.

BTW, this is the week that the Rebels books come out; is three months enough time to "tease" the cartoon?

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
The Rebels young reader books don't have Amazon reviews yet, I'm kinda surprised, they've been out half a week and nobody has anything to say? That's not like the online community. Then again, that Chopper Saves the Day book is $4 for 24 pages, that's nerve.

I went to review SW: A New Dawn and it won't let me because it hasn't been released yet. C'mon!

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Is Crosscurrent worth two bucks? The local Goodwill had it, but I have so little faith in post-Legacy EU, plus it'll no longer be canon, so I figured I'd check here first.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Is Crosscurrent worth two bucks? The local Goodwill had it, but I have so little faith in post-Legacy EU, plus it'll no longer be canon, so I figured I'd check here first.
I liked it. I believe there weren't too many connections to the established EU, since it "crosses" over different times, that if you hadn't read much of the recent EU (it's from about 2011, IIRC) you would still understand and follow it easily.

I read the coming-soon excerpts at the back of the paperback Kenobi (and I never noticed the cover painting's CW-era arm gauntlet on Obi-Wan's forearm before), and they sound okay. Looks like John Jackson J. Jonah Jameson Miller might be the new Kevin J. J. J. Anderson, meaning he seems to be getting to write many of the books. So he may determine the EWW (my name for the new EU) from now on. Scary? Or interesting? On the Kathy Tyers-to-Timothy Zahn scale, where would you rank him?

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Nah, I meant they had gotten in a lot of SW books, almost all of which I have, and all of which were $2. I unfortunately paid much more than $2 for those two pig terds.

I did pick up Crosscurrent when I went by today.

Apr 28, 2013
The Rebels young reader books don't have Amazon reviews yet, I'm kinda surprised, they've been out half a week and nobody has anything to say? That's not like the online community. Then again, that Chopper Saves the Day book is $4 for 24 pages, that's nerve.

I went to review SW: A New Dawn and it won't let me because it hasn't been released yet. C'mon!
I picked up one of the YA Rebels books at WM yesterday for $5. Gonna try and read it in the next week or so.

I keep forgetting you got an early preview copy of A New Dawn.

For $2, you can't lose. And you can re-sell it and make your money back if you don't like it.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I didn't see any Rebels novels at B&N the other day, just the Learn-to-Read thin books. I almost bought the SW in 100 Scenes, which is a kids' book of pictures... but I passed because the final ghost scene in ROJ picture has an error with some long-haired smirking hippy instead of Sebastian Shaw. :rolleyes:

I did read book #6 (and final, according to the cover) in the Origami Yoda series. Decent; even more punny than the other books, some "surprises," but mainly the way I thought overall they'd end up. Back inside flap hints that the series might pick up from the kids in HS instead of Ralph McQuarrie MS.

Apr 28, 2013
Finished Rebels: Ezra's Gamble the other night. It was okay and I've read better from Ryder Wyndam. I read his Maul stand-alone story, the Wrath of Darth Maul, within the last two months (been doing a long of reading but forgetting to post on the boards) and it was interesting. But Ezra's Gamble did whet my appetite for Rebels even more. I'm interested to see what direction it goes.

Too bad someone can't get Jude Watson to write some more.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Finished Rebels: Ezra's Gamble the other night. It was okay and I've read better from Ryder Wyndam. I read his Maul stand-alone story, the Wrath of Darth Maul, within the last two months (been doing a long of reading but forgetting to post on the boards) and it was interesting. But Ezra's Gamble did whet my appetite for Rebels even more. I'm interested to see what direction it goes.

Too bad someone can't get Jude Watson to write some more.
How was Ezra portrayed in the book? I didn't like his intro in the 7-minute preview for the show, hoping he's a little more likable in other places.

Apr 28, 2013
He was portrayed as a survivor, loner who was scraping out an existence by doing whatever was necessary. He was selling tix to an illegal gladiator fight at the beginning of the book. Picture Oliver Twist in the SW world.

You stumped me on Ezra's likeability, JT. He's a teenager, for goodness sake, who comes across as a little annoying, smart-mouthed but he grew on you by the end. He has room to develop as a character and that's a good thing.