Not at all happy with the current direction of SW EU

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
He was portrayed as a survivor, loner who was scraping out an existence by doing whatever was necessary. He was selling tix to an illegal gladiator fight at the beginning of the book. Picture Oliver Twist in the SW world.

You stumped me on Ezra's likeability, JT. He's a teenager, for goodness sake, who comes across as a little annoying, smart-mouthed but he grew on you by the end. He has room to develop as a character and that's a good thing.
Interesting, thanks. The Oliver Twist element does inform a bit on the feeling of that 7 minute preview, I got a hint at that sense at the time. And it's good he grows a little and has room to grow - sounds like they intentionally crafted a less likable version of Kanan in that respect, who in A New Dawn is more likable but has room to grow.

So, did Obi-Wan see a little of himself in young Anakin or Luke?

Apr 28, 2013
I think that's a strong possibility. In Jude Watson's young Obi-Wan series, Obi-Wan is bit of a rebel. The story arc where he leaves the order for a girl comes to mind.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Not sure where else to post this, but apparently James Luceno's Tarkin gives Palpatine a canon first name...

SPOILERS

Sheev. His name is Sheev Palpatine. I'm not clear if this was defined by George before he left or created by Luceno or the Story Group. This goes against Luceno's Darth Plagueis, which established that Palpatine once had a first name but decided to drop it and go only with his family name.

Sheev is a strange word and reminds me of sheep, or Steve, or skeevy, or heave.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
Maybe it's off Shiv - spelling?

A knife you fashion in prison to kill others in the back by ambush attack?

And maybe that was the first name Palpatine was given and decided to drop and just go by his last name?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Not sure where else to post this, but apparently James Luceno's Tarkin gives Palpatine a canon first name...

SPOILERS

Sheev. His name is Sheev Palpatine. I'm not clear if this was defined by George before he left or created by Luceno or the Story Group. This goes against Luceno's Darth Plagueis, which established that Palpatine once had a first name but decided to drop it and go only with his family name.

Sheev is a strange word and reminds me of sheep, or Steve, or skeevy, or heave.
If you check out my sig line, that's my guess as to its origin. :pleased:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I bought but haven't yet read (tough to find reading time during the school year) ... the Bounty Hunter's Code. Will report on them once I do.
For the YA audience I assume it's centered, this would be interesting. It's journal style, as the Book of Sith and The Jedi Code were, where "this" copy gets passed down from SW character to character, annotating in the margins. Boba, Jango, Aurra Sing, Han, Bossk, Dengar, Greedo, Hondo are some of the commentators. It was okay overall.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Since its copyright date is 2011, this one would count in the "old" EU thread: Matt Forbeck's Star Wars vs. Star Trek book was bad, then pretty decent, and finally ending terribly. Think quiz book (that wasn't always correct; but I did miss just 2.5 of the SW questions, where one of those three was about films' gross receipts with inflation and not specifically SW trivia) meets bad fan fiction, which then ruins this "winning" concept with a free-for-all battle at the end, with predictable results. At least it was on sale.

Apr 28, 2013
Picked up my reading material for Celebration Anaheim: found used copies of the Han Solo Adventures and the Lando Calrissian Adventures at Half-Price Books last night. With two six-hour flights, I should make a dent and I've been wanting to reread HS at Star's End for a while now.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
The Lando books are a little abstract. Accept this, and you will have fun. You'll also see the Falcon upgraded even before Han got it.

The Han Solo books are awesome, but secondary to AC Crispin's - who carefully included mentioning every element in them in the appropriate place in the chronology.

Brian Daley, the HS author, was a good friend of James Luceno, my favorite SW EU author.

Apr 28, 2013
The Lando books are a little abstract. Accept this, and you will have fun. You'll also see the Falcon upgraded even before Han got it.

The Han Solo books are awesome, but secondary to AC Crispin's - who carefully included mentioning every element in them in the appropriate place in the chronology.

Brian Daley, the HS author, was a good friend of James Luceno, my favorite SW EU author.
I haven't read the Lando adventures before, but I'm leaning toward the Solo adventures, particularly Stars End. Who knows, might read one on the flight out and another on they way back.

I picked up Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace the other day. Won't get a chance to read it just yet.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I haven't read the Lando adventures before, but I'm leaning toward the Solo adventures, particularly Stars End. Who knows, might read one on the flight out and another on they way back.

I picked up Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace the other day. Won't get a chance to read it just yet.
I consider the HSA among the best early EU, and the LCA are up there, too. I also picked up the TPM Shakespeare today, to be part of my Celeb. 7 reading (if there's time).

Darth Metalmute

Jedi Apprentice
Nov 26, 2001
Northwest Ohio
Visit site
So I'm going away for the weekend and stopped by the book store to purchase a book for the flight. I'm behind in the "legends" EU stories so I was looking to get back to reading those. The sight of the "Legends" banner irritated me to a point that I picked up Tarkin and New Dawn instead... "sigh" I may never finish the old EU now...

Apr 28, 2013
Bel-Cam and I are on the same wave length. I don't like to travel with good copies of my books. I normally hit Half Price Books (that's where I found the Solo and Calrissian books for Celebration), used offerings on Amazon or the flea markets.

The legends banner does pop out at you.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Another issue I hadn't noticed; I checked my receipt from buying the paperback of Tarkin today, and thought I'd been overcharged (should've been 20% off). Nope: the book was $9.99?!? :eek: :mad: Then I double-checked A New Dawn and it too had that price. :( Not a good sign.

Apr 28, 2013
Picked up Dark Disciple and the Attack of the Clones Shakespeare books this morning at the Wal-Mart. Learning towards starting DD tonight.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I'm about halfway through DD now, and SW:TCAA is also on my shelf, next in line. So far, DD is pretty good, but then I've always liked Christie Golden's style.

[edit] I finished it today and posted my spoiler-esque comments in the "Other Canonical" thread.
P.S. Check out pages 189-190 and tell me if you get confused.

Last edited: