Obi-Wan Kenobi spoiler thread 4 after you watch!

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
Spoilers below

I had been thinking for a while about what could be the thing that drags Obi-Wan off Tatooine (as we see in the trailers) and Leia in distress was one idea I had but dismissed because it seemed too ambitious so I loved that and seeing this her as I imagined her as a kid and as she was often shown in comics and the EU. Did you see 3P0 and R2 in the background of some of those Alderaan scenes? Awesome! Also, the Temuera Morrison cameo was great and there's some real trauma for Obi-Wan there to explore; he was essentially there for the birth of the Clone Army, was really the only one to meet Jango Fett, and then bonded with Cody only to be betrayed... that face means a lot to Obi-Wan. Episode 2 ends with a bit of a cliff-hanger for the Grand Inquisitor so I'm curious to see if he survives (I'm going to be pretty frustrated if the Inquisitors know force heal and none of the PT Jedi did) Unless this isn't the Inquisitor we see in Rebels, which would explain the different head....

I will say this though, the Order 66 scene at the beginning sure hit different this time. After what just happened this week in Texas (and now being a parent) watching a school shooting unfold (albeit a fictional, sci-fi version) was hard for me. But I'm sure that's the point; how awful and dark the whole thing was. It didn't bother me 18 years ago when I first saw it, I was expecting it, but going back almost every time there's a new show (Bad Batch, Mando S2...) is getting hard.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
I did not expect to be able to see this series before it was already finished (long story), but these first two of the six were great. I enjoyed the experience, and I hope to be able to see them as they're released (I know; what a concept!).

I am a bit ashamed to admit that I did not even consider the Leia/Organas/Alderaan idea, but it works so well as a parallel; makes Obi-Wan's decade+ ordeal that much more grueling and heartbreaking for him (and the viewers). His mundane job, along with the daily save-a-scrap for his ride, only adds to that commitment. I can't wait to see/hear if Qui-Gon or Yoda make appearances, and how so.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I will probably see this series 2 episodes at a time. It's been quite intriguing.

Viewers needed to suspend belief, with the horrible security at the various Imperial bases. The "pickup truck" driver was an interesting addition as a character. I was very surprised that Vader dueled Kenobi; it alters his lines in ANH (I pray they don't alter them any further!) Will any Jedi actually appear in these last two (especially a certain master of the titular character)? Will these last two stay on Tatooine?

DarkJedi5

Sith Apprentice
Nov 12, 2002
California
Visit site
I will probably see this series 2 episodes at a time. It's been quite intriguing.
As to the duel in episode 3 and its impact on the dialogue in ANH; I saw an interesting argument that Vader wasn't referring to physical prowess or swordsmanship (sabersmanship?) but strength in the Force. That said, I don't think Obi had the upper hand there by any metric. I expect a rematch towards the end of the series where Obi beats Vader, and maybe rubs salt in the wound by saying something like "the Council was right not to grant you the rank of "master." This might even make the line in ANH make MORE sense since the line feels a little clunky unless there's a specific reason Vader would bring it up.

The security in the base in episode 4 was a real "jump the shark" moment for me where disbelief was stretched too thin. Also, why even take Leia if the plan was just to plant a tracker in the droid and let Obi rescue her? We know that the ultimate goal is to get Leia back to Alderaan! Can't the Empire just set up a trap there and keep tabs on the Organas to make sure no one leaves Alderaan to get her?

There are aspects of this show I enjoy (it's more Star Wars for us after all) but there have been more than a few moments that just seem out of place or are weirdly executed. They don't ruin my enjoyment but they certainly distract from it. This isn't how I've felt watching the Mandalorian but definitely did watching Book of Boba Fett. Hopefully the series really hits its stride here in the last two episodes and gets things back on track.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I'm loving this series. It is almost exactly as I wrote a treatment for it, except that was before Rebels, and I did not figure on Inquisitors. It made sense that Leia was equal value to Luke, and he'd leave Tatooine.

Beyond that, I would have Yoda having faked Padme's death in ROTS, and Leia, age 5 or younger, having known her: kind but sad.

Complicating his anger, Vader will then actually and accidentally kill her, and find out, also blaming Obi-Wan for deceiving him - though Yoda did that.

JarJar might save Leia, redeeming his character.

Maybe flashbacks for season 2.

I also want to see live-action flashbacks to Satine - the only reason Bo Katan is famous.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
This is the first SW streaming series that I got to see and finish as it ran. Of the three I've seen (Mando seasons 1 & 2, this), Obi-Wan K. is definitely the best. Why?
Going in, I knew if they did NOT have a ghost Qui-Gon, this would've been a waste. It was handled excellently.
The "Hello, there" line was also perfectly placed with his return to Alderaan. Plus the "Then my FRIEND is truly dead" one, as well as "Darth" on his way out.
I have no idea how the 3rd Sister will continue (bounty hunter? underground Jedi protector? Rebel leader?).
Not sure which was the worse disappointment in the series: the strength of surviving lightsaber hits to the gut, or point-blank-range missed from blasters.
It may be recency bias, but that might just be the best lightsaber battle ever shown in a SW film, from the 6th episode.