Oh My Goodness!!

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Prices are shootin' up higher than a something that's really up there! I got gas a few days ago for $3.41 (that station had been $3.35 the day before); now it's $3.69 there. Costco is cheapest, and with the longest lines, around at $3.55. Now, at least. Apparently, it's been 12 consecutive days of price increases here in SoCal, for the same lame, and likely untrue, reasons. Ugh. Boo! (and not a pre-Halloween "boo!" )

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Prices seem to have plateaued here: I filled up for $3.85 today (didn't feel that an $.08 savings at farther-away Costco was worth the drive). Most stations are around $4.15 or so (as much as $4.39 nearest to my home).

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I hit the Costco in Garden Grove before Disneyland yesterday, their gas is usually at least 10 cents cheaper than here in West LA, and it was $3.79 a gallon compared to the Arco up the street at $3.95.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Gas has been dropping steadily lately: I saw it for $3.35 a mile from home, but it ended up as $3.31 when I stopped by. The next day, down to $3.29. Costco now has the lowest around at $3.19. Maybe this year's Christmas gift will be sub-$3 fuel, mayhaps?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Online, I saw the price of Costco's gas this morning. With some light sprinkling still going on, it being 8am on a Saturday morning and likely not to interact with many people, I decided to head down and fill up. There were maybe 6 total cars in the lines, for $2.29 fuel (I checked: this is the lowest I've paid for gas in my car since Sept. of 2016). But the lines for people WAITING TO ENTER THE STORE went out to the curb, along the entire length of the building; people had chairs (I do not think I saw any tents) and most had masks on or carts already, but not all were 6 feet apart.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I went to Costco last Saturday about 9:50 and waited in line over half an hour. They were just letting a certain number of people at a time.
It reminded me of people waiting to buy tickets weeks before seeing SW Prequel films. Someone could make a joke about toilet paper being better or more important than some of those films, but not me.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
This week, our Costco was $2.39, and the Arco up the street was the same.

As for the lines, in mid-day here they let in groups of 20 or 30 at a time, so the lines go pretty fast but ebb and flow so it's hard to know how long it'll take. The key to knowing how long is how many parking spaces you can get close to the building. But on this visit, they were out of cart wipes and the person monitoring the line (because 70% of people there are incredibly bad at this) was MIA so we had to deal with a lot of confusion. We also saw a woman pushing a wipeless cart put her finger in her mouth. :eek:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
This week, our Costco was $2.39, and the Arco up the street was the same.

... so we had to deal with a lot of confusion. We also saw a woman pushing a wipeless cart put her finger in her mouth. :eek:
You mean, since she was following the mandatory mask policy, she touched her finger (likely with a glove on it) to her mask, right? Right?!?

Some auto insurance companies (mine, too! ) are returning some percents of premium payments paid, because people just aren't driving much. THAT actually makes $en$e!

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
This was several days prior to mandatory masks, she was unmasked, as were about 30% of the people in line.

Mercury Insurance doesn't seem to think driving this little is worth money to me, so now I'm gonna drive around all recklessly 10x as much!

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
One month later (and only a half-tank fill-up), I refueled at Costco again, for a penny less at $2.28, which is actually a nickel more than the lowest it got per gallon in that time. Went right up to the first pump. Weird. Other prices here are all over the place (none over $3, most in the $2.70s range).