Our local SW events/gatherings

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
Celebrate the love! I was one of the volunteers at the Ewok Drum Circle event at our library's most recent Star Wars Day (held on ROJ's 30th anniversary). Some pretty good costumes and lots of excited kids. Weather was good and clear.
Looks like a pretty cool event. But that woman's "Only Once, You Live" Yoda shirt is pretty cringetastic. For the love of God, I'm pretty sure they didn't have Twitter on Dagobah. :dead:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
For a few reasons (unforeseen car issues mainly, no SoCal summer passes anymore, forecast of close to 100 degrees, etc.), I will unlikely be able to attend this Sunday's Unofficial SW Day at Disneyland. :(

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
For a few reasons (unforeseen car issues mainly, no SoCal summer passes anymore, forecast of close to 100 degrees, etc.), I will unlikely be able to attend this Sunday's Unofficial SW Day at Disneyland. :(
That's disappointing to hear, but at the same time this Sunday would probably not be a great day for me to go down there after spending all day tomorrow at Botcon.

Mr. JabbaJohnL

Jedi Council Member
Nov 12, 2001
Tatooine
I attended the Geeks Who Drink: Let the Wookiee Win event in Denver yesterday and, naturally, won. :D My friend and sister were participating a little, and my parents wanted to come and watch, but I was the one who answered the questions – I missed six (mostly stupid mistakes or alternate answers they wouldn't accept) out of 80 questions and won $680. Each of the eight rounds had a theme – Mos Eisley, languages, special edition changes, choking, naming characters based on visuals, Imperial army, fill-in-the-blank quotes, and random. Might as well put all this trivial knowledge to good use. :p

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
The 2014 version of our local SW Day event had wonderful weather, and I ended up as a participant for the first time: running the Kids Readers Theater activity. We let the children read from a script (a parent gave me an obvious hint we somehow missed; tell the kids they need to know how to READ before selecting them to volunteer), I read the Prologue from the William Shakespeare's SW book, then they spun the Wheel of Bib Fortuna with different sounds to imitate (beep like a droid, roar like a Wookiee, lightsaber imitation, whine like Luke, etc.).

Attachments

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
The 2015 edition is over. I was again dressed as a Shakespeare Jedi, and was supposed to be a "wandering bard" reading parts from the Shakespeare books; that led to a tepid response (people were more interested in checking their phones while waiting in line than having some guy read weird-sounding passages :( ). Still, despite the occasional sprinkling of rain, it was great.

Photos below: the cast of the Rebels cartoon looked very good, the standard parade of costumed heroes and villains, and Vader poses at an EU drink dispensary. :rolleyes:

Attachments

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Last night, I was asked to be the "in-house Star Wars expert" for a panel debate at a local comic shop. Those who participated were asked questions (which droid was better? which Sith would win in a fight? what was the best SW film?) and had to defend their choice. As the "expert," I had some handicaps that led to me getting little crowd clapping support (and I therefore "lost" each round, even though IMHO my evidence was the most solid each time). Still, it was fun, and I got a gift card, a too-small medium shirt, a cup, and some kind-of cool BB-8 socks. It was podcasted (so I was told), but based on the "adult language" and content there, I shan't post a link.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
What kind of handicaps? That kinda stinks.

Also, we SoCal folks should get together soon, it's been forever.
The worst was that if the applause from the crowd was mainly for me, none of the others on the panel got anything (why I never "won" a round). I got the "leftover" choice of the three options. The three rounds each had me go first, since, as one person said, "no one wants to go first" (but I DOMINATED with my opening statements! :p :pleased: ). Yet, since one guy chose "Episode 6" as his favorite (he thought 6 was "the middle one," then realized he hated the Ewoks), I was "stuck" with Episode 4 to argue (I thought I'd have to take a Prequel or Jedi); I had to agree that Threepio was the best droid in the series, and that Maul was the top bad guy.

Getting together. I'm in favor of that. Anyone have a leftover plane ticket to England in July? :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Not a specific SW event locally, but the school where I teach had a staff talent show tonight, and I did a one-man show of the SW Shakespeare The Jedi Doth Return, as Luke, Vader, AND the Emperor (with fast "costume" changes on-stage). Not sure if anyone video'd it, but if I find that out, and I don't get sued by Disney/Lucasfilm, maybe I can share the link.

p.s. I didn't win :( but had fun (and the audience was quite responsive) and loved watching/listening to my other very talented colleagues (a band, a capella and acoustic singers, poetry readings, a trumpeter, etc.).

[edit] No video seems to be posted online (from search engine queries, at least), but here's a photo. Can you spot the error? Aside from the fact I can't even post the picture? ... I'll try again later ... still cannot, and it's Fri. 2/18. :( But now it's here! :thumbsup:

Attachments

Last edited:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Wow: add a day to a long-standing local tradition and it gets bigger crowds, organization, booths, and fatigue! What was great about this year's SW Reads celebration? I saw two authors' panels (I moderated Ian Doescher of SW Shakespeare fame, attended the TFA Junior novel writer Michael Kogge one), enjoyed the Vintage Collecting one, the Secret Science of SW one was okay; Lightsaber Guild performance is usually good; reading of books aloud and dancing at the main stage is always fun; costumes this year were perhaps the best ever (especially the kids' ones); the Billy Dee Williams conversation was good (I was first row, right in his line of sight... if the stage lights weren't in his face and I in the dark). Pics are below.

Attachments

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Wow: add a day to a long-standing local tradition and it gets bigger crowds, organization, booths, and fatigue! What was great about this year's SW Reads celebration? I saw two authors' panels (I moderated Ian Doescher of SW Shakespeare fame, attended the TFA Junior novel writer Michael Kogge one), enjoyed the Vintage Collecting one, the Secret Science of SW one was okay; Lightsaber Guild performance is usually good; reading of books aloud and dancing at the main stage is always fun; costumes this year were perhaps the best ever (especially the kids' ones); the Billy Dee Williams conversation was good (I was first row, right in his line of sight... if the stage lights weren't in his face and I in the dark). Pics are below.
Outstanding!

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I decided to buy my tickets to the Ontario Comic Con Revolution 2018 (on weekend of May 19-20). The comic book artists scheduled are pretty good, but it's Ghent-, ysalamiri-, and Talon Karrde-creator Timothy Zahn whom I'm most excited to see/hear/talk to.

[whisper, whisper] Oh, did he create some other SW characters, too? ;)