Power Play! NHL 13-14 (and beyond?)

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
I hope there's something more you can do than that for $20, I got to take a picture with the cup for free a couple years back!
There probably is. If it's anything like the NFL Fan Fair, it's almost like a convention, with vendors and booths. There are supposed tone a variety of former players there for autographs and photos, as well.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
If the Pens can play all their games at home, they'll breeze to another Cup. Playing on the road? Well... (actually, they're NOT playing too well there). But hopefully the hole in their ice is no longer a problem (weird 2nd period that was technically 26 minutes long today while letting the ice "fix" set enough).

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
First impressions of watching the pre-Skills Competition event: unedited rap lyrics sound odd in a hockey arena... especially just before the kids skate out with their parents (or local kids with the athletes), Snoop as DJ spinning tracks from other artists, LA crowd loudly booing ANY Western division players and a few others (Crosby, Kane). Classy :p ... but not unexpected.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Dang! Penguins are the only 200+ goal scoring team and have the 3rd-best record in the NHL and would have a 5-10 point lead over any of the other divisions, so that means they get a lower seed since they are in the same division as the #1 team.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
The Penguins tie the Capitals for the most points in the league... the 3 best records in the NHL are in that same division (and 4 of the top 6 overall). And somehow, no team has even clinched a playoff spot yet?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I think the Pens have locked up the #3 seed in the Eastern Conf., but have the league's 2nd-best record. Oh well.

Weirdest stat I noticed: G Ryan Miller has 22 penalty minutes. How? Second-weirdest stat: Ottawa is 43-27-10, but has been outscored on the season?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
A cheap shot from former Penguin Matt Niskanen (you know it's serious when Fleury puts a sticker over your name on his mask that lists former teammates) knocks out Crosby, but if not for an OT loss, Pittsburgh could've swept the President's Trophy-winners Washington. Take 'em out this Saturday, Pens!

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
It took to a game 7 (fast fact: Penguins have played 6 game sevens on the road; their record is now 6-0), but the Pens advance. If the Ducks end up being their Cup Final opponent, would I shell out big-buck$ to $ee them in per$on? Hmm...

[edit] Have to win this series, first of course. Not good to drop game 1 at home, even in OT. Come back strong on Monday, Pens!

Last edited:

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Oh, Penguins won their 2nd-straight Cup.

And they lose in OT on banner presentation night, then get slammed 10-1 in Chi Town, only to shut out their Cup Final opponent back at home. The season has begun!

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I like this "new" All Star Game format.

Pens have moved up to #3 in the Metro division, but only #6 overall in the East, IIRC. And, they're only 3 goals from matching the same number allowed to their opponents on the season! ;)