Rise of Skywalker... the movie [reviews]!

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
I had trepidations. I was worried. I wondered if Star Wars was dead.

Wow.

Any of my concerns, and I really mean any, were completely unwarranted.

Notes:
- first line: "At last."
- last line: you all know it by now
- The Ghost: featured quite a bit in the battle scenes, but no pilot determined (at least from my first viewing)
- Freddie Prinze Jr. got a credit (and a lot of others)!
- a once-in-42-years celebration eh? (2019 - 42 = 1977)
- first same-sex kiss in a SW film
- Kerri Russell is the new Zam Wessell
- Daisy Ridley is one of the strongest on-demand criers I've ever seen on-screen

Best audience reactions:
- Lando!
- Luke's X-Wing
- "I'm the spy"
- Chewie's medal!
- Wedge!
- Ewoks!

It ended well, the action and development held throughout. I shall see it multiple times.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
I was sad that Snap died and that we got confirmation that Ahsoka is dead. But then I saw Wicket.

The Ghost: my initial guess would be Hera. We did the math as best we could and figured she'd be about the same age as Bib Fortuna in ROTJ, and, thanks to Lucas dropping him into TPM for no real reason, 60 years isn't exactly elderly for Twi'leks. Then again, I have a tough time believing Hera wouldn't have gotten into the Resistance initially.

My two qualms are Snoke and Poe. Snoke doesn't have much backstory, but what he has does not fit him being a construct by Palpatine. The only way it works if he was created a long time beforehand (as far back as the Clone Wars), had autonomy, and never knew he wasn't his own person (alien, whatever).

Poe... yeesh. First, I'm guessing Zorii said he left to join the Resistance, but was mistaken or misspoke and meant to say Republic. Because he was Republic for quite some time before he was Resistance. And he went right from one to the other. I don't see where smuggler fits in there. Especially when he's the son of Rebel heroes.

Also Theeepio. They blew a chance for him to remember everything.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I was sad that Snap died and that we got confirmation that Ahsoka is dead. But then I saw Wicket.

The Ghost: my initial guess would be Hera. We did the math as best we could and figured she'd be about the same age as Bib Fortuna in ROTJ, and, thanks to Lucas dropping him into TPM for no real reason, 60 years isn't exactly elderly for Twi'leks. Then again, I have a tough time believing Hera wouldn't have gotten into the Resistance initially.

My two qualms are Snoke and Poe. Snoke doesn't have much backstory, but what he has does not fit him being a construct by Palpatine. The only way it works if he was created a long time beforehand (as far back as the Clone Wars), had autonomy, and never knew he wasn't his own person (alien, whatever).

Poe... yeesh. First, I'm guessing Zorii said he left to join the Resistance, but was mistaken or misspoke and meant to say Republic. Because he was Republic for quite some time before he was Resistance. And he went right from one to the other. I don't see where smuggler fits in there. Especially when he's the son of Rebel heroes.

Also Theeepio. They blew a chance for him to remember everything.
1. I was surprised at that; but in the voice-over about "parents" (or "mothers and fathers" ), when Snap is heading to his ship, a woman tossed him his gear. So, she made it on-screen, and now can have a multiple-year series on Disney+. Was that really Wicket? I just assumed it was Warwick Davis in another SW cameo; time for a second viewing, then!

2. I figure that's an opportunity for a comic/novel/game tie-in story (I intend to start a thread here about unfinished storylines).

3. I felt it was appropriate to have Snoke bodies just dumped in a cloning vat, as if they were useless. The idea was one of the key failures of the DT (I don't call these the Sequel Trilogy films, sorry).

4. Maybe a re-dubbing of her word in later releases/DVD? There will be a story about that; I think a comic fits best.

5. I was afraid of what would be done with Threepio. But this could be the best version of him in all 10 times he appears... "He's one of my oldest friends" is the best, subtle line he ever utters). I saw the red eyes, and thought, with glee, "he's going to hold a rifle to some trooper at some point in this movie, or an 'X' will appear on him somehow." He wasn't a drag as a character to the rest of the group, for a change.

Reactions: Tycho

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Test, test, I am testing to see if this works and that I have enough characters...

Oh, and since lists (LISTS... drool) are ubiquitous at the ends of any calendar year...

BEL-CAM'S TOP TEN + ONE (live action, not only released in Europe) SW FILMS, AS OF TODAY:
11. TFA
10. TPM
9. AOTC
8. TLJ
7. ROJ
6. ROTS
5. TROS
4. SASWS
3. R1
2. ANH
1. ESB

Plus, the best moment of the film could have been an evil eye look from one of the Caretakers, when Rey returned to the planet.

[edit: 12/23] After showing #2 today...
- there were the same 10 trailers shown prior as my 1st viewing
- I listened closer to Baba Fink [sp?] this time, and can understand most of his "language"
- keep forgetting to listen to the different planet names (and the every-42-yr. festival's name)
- I realize now why Hera isn't seen on the Resistance base's planet (The Ghost lands after most of the heroes land, and it wasn't on the planet since Lando/Chewie brought her to the battle)
- a lot of the FO troopers who get shot during the Chewie rescue have female voices (and one of them deserves an award for his twisting death fall on a slope stairway)
- Rose and Maz really were under-utilized throughout (I thought Maz was going to kiss her boyfriend Chewbacca, instead of handing him the medal; would've been nice to see Rose do something techie to help the battle, instead of just shooting and running)
- I hadn't realized what Rey built her own saber hilt out of
- I wanted the blaster that Kylo used on Exegol to be Han's DL-44, but alas it wasn't
- Poe's "lightsaber" in the tunnels under the quicksand was priceless
- will Simon Piegg get a screen credit for his arm in the flashback as Unkar Plutt?
- the festival music is NOT on the soundtrack... BOO!! (but some song was co-credited to Lin-Manuel Miranda! )
- I did NOT see any "Dedicated to Peter Mayhew" in the credits, even though I read the film was done so
- Son of Adm. Ackbar (don't recall his name in the credits) was there!

Last edited:

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I loved the movie. I have seen it 4 times now. I have a ST list of nitpicks, but it's short.

And I would have loved if they didn't dispel the old EU and Daisy played Jaina, or Adam was Jacen, back from the dead, and then Rey could still be Rey Palpatine.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Anakin Skywalker fell to the Dark Side because he wanted to keep his wife from dying.

Kylo Ren told his grandfather he would finish what Vader started.

Ben Solo redeemed himself by keeping Rey from dying.

Ben finished what Anakin started.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Actually, the first we saw of Anakin, he was supposed to clean those shelves in Watto's shop. He never did. Did Ben? Nope. Failure, totally. [insert 'whah-whah' sound]

Anakin, if he had followed Mace Windu's command, would have ended Palpatine's rule before it even started. Ben was 50% of the duo that stopped Palpatine's second empire before it even started. That was successful. Each (Anakin, Rey) was created by Sheev using the Force to create... life. [oh, wait; wrong thread]

2-1B

Jedi Knight
Aug 18, 2001
Visit site
JJ Abrams and Chris Terrio managed to make The Last Jedi a (somewhat) better movie and also redeem several of the prequels' shortcomings, all while making a very convoluted movie in its own right.
This episode was an absolute mess. I loved it.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
On my third viewing, here are the things I'll add:

- "The dead speak!" did not need an exclamation mark to begin the opening crawl IMHO! (but there were 3 film titles mentioned in it: PHANTOM emperor, last HOPE, something something REVENGE)
- So, both Jarrah and Finn are Force sensitives? (I missed her "a feeling.." representing a reference to it)
- I finally saw Sidon Ithano in the end celebration, as well as John Williams on Kijimi, and Claud [sp?] was in more than just the opening Falcon scenes
- Noticed a lot more connections to previous films (I think Palpy's force lightning wasn't CGI and more like what was in ROJ's lower-tech, Palpy's skull melting seemed the opposite of him becoming that way in ROTS)
- Heard more of the individual Jedi's supportive words to Rey
- Does Lando say he's from the "Gold" the "Gol" or the "Colt" system wheren Jarrah asks him? What exactly does "let's find out" mean (is Lando her father? will he take her on a journey to find out her past? is Lando lookin' for love?)?
- there's only one sub-titled line (Nien Nunb's) in the film

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
The VD (hee hee) says Lando's infant daughter was abducted by the First Order. Given that it's Star Wars and the same twelve people keep bumping into each other, even (especially) when it makes no sense, I figure her birth name was Calrissian.

Who's the mother, though, whether the baby was Jannah or not? At the end of Last Shot, he seemed pretty serious about settling down with that Twi'lek, but Jannah looks fully human.