So, what COMICS did you buy this week?

figrin bran

Jedi Commander
May 4, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
No Kenner variant for Princess Leia #2 so I skipped it and decided to try some other Marvel titles.

Got Silk #2. To me it feels so redundant with Spider Gwen which I enjoy more so I won't continue with it
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #3
Howard the Duck #1
Transformers #39 Combiner Wars Opening Salvo

Now if I may chime in about Livio whose art is feature on the latter, his work is indeed stunning but at the same time very nuanced and dystopian. Like JT said, rarely are any panels in daylight. I don't feel any of the current IDW TF writers are a good match for Livio - Barber is at his best when it's a quick paced narrative but if he has to slow down the pace and try to add nuance, it really, really bogs down. In #39, there's a panel where tries to give Chromia some MTMTE-ish lines but it just ends up falling flat.

Scott is not a good match either nor is Roberts - at its very heart, MTMTE isn't very dystopian at all, especially as Megatron puts it, you have a woeful captain who has an award system based on his face.

Taking all that into consideration, Livio's work is best in the context of covers which isn't meant to be a backhanded compliment even though it sounds like one. It's just that when you pause to admire his drawings, they're so immersive that it kind of works against the way one would normally read comics. So I'm not sure why so many seem to dislike him but maybe it's actually a case where readers are having to read and absorb at a slower pace than they're accustomed to and that is what they're reacting against when they voice dislike for Mr. Ramondell's work.

Apr 28, 2013
Found Vader #4. I understand #3 is being reprinted and released this week or maybe next. I missed that one.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Transformers Vol. 7: Combiner Wars: First Strike.

I'm impressed. It's not the best volume of the post-Chaos comics, but very solid. I liked how we got an explanation for why characters can't simply ask guys like Galvatron, Cyclonus, Alpha Trion, or Omega Supreme what things were like ages ago. And the introduction of the Thirteen was well-handled, still keeping IDW out of a TF multiverse (MTMTE's Rodimus' appearance in ReGeneration One notwithstanding). I also liked how cyclical longterm TF history was made to be here.

I just am not sure I understand the Age of the Thirteen myself, Jimmy's transition is way unexpected, and the one-two punch of Nexus Prime being responsible for human evolution and Blackrock being descended from Gilgamesh was a bit goofy.

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
I picked up Secret Wars #1.

RIP Marvel Universe: 1961-2015 (unless sales of the rebooted MU are so bad that they decide to do a 180º and bring you back)

I think I'm just going to read the main Secret Wars book until we get a better idea of what the Marvel Universe is going to look like post-SW.

My guess is that they are going to use this opportunity to reboot the Marvel Universe to look like something that more closely resembles the MCU. Maybe not necessarily the Marvel Cinematic Universe as it is right now, but where they hope to take it as we approach Infinity War.

Where that leaves the X-Men and Fantastic Four, however, I don't know.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Haven't read it yet, but the build up, a very long build up at that, Jonathan Hickman wrote for this seems more Crisis-y that Secret Wars-y. I doubt this will last more than a few years. DC does this every few years, too. It's the nature of comics in the past two decades: "How do we make more number one issues? Let's just reboot everything. Again."

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
Well, as many of Marvel's most popular characters pass the half-century mark, in terms of age, the "sliding timescale" thing is becoming more and more of a problem and continuity becomes more of a cumbersome burden than a tool for good storytelling. For instance, when Captain America was reintroduced in Avengers #4 in 1964, World War 2 was only 19 years in the past. To put that into perspective, the Gulf War was 24 years ago and the Iraq War started 12 years ago. According to the comic stories, Captain America has only been out of the ice for around 10 years, so now that means that he was still frozen during 9/11. However, those 9/11 commemorative issues are still canon. So how does that work?

Eventually, it gets to point where you can only accept so many stories taking place within that ten year span. Similar to how Magneto was a Holocaust survivor, which would put Magneto close to 100 years old by now. So do you change it and say that he was actually a survivor of Sarajevo in the 1990s? Because as the Holocaust gets further and further back in the past, it's going to become more and more difficult to write a relatable character, with firsthand knowledge of those events, who isn't over a century old.

Marvel has never actually had an official reboot, so everything that's happened from 1961 up until Secret Wars 2015 has been canon. I guess this isn't technically a reboot either, since it's been built up from within the story and didn't just come in out of nowhere and wipe out all the old continuity, like New 52 did.

I think the only way to do this without creating something that fans will instantly reject (even though I'm betting many fans will initially hate whatever they do), is to somehow take the 1963 Marvel Universe and rewrite it so that it's all happening today. Which is pretty much exactly what they've been doing with the movies and what the original intent behind the Ultimate Universe was.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
Just finished reading the first two volumes of GI Joe: Cobra, starring Chuckles. WOW! Very glad I read them and I look forward to getting through volumes 3 and 4.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
You hadn't read that? :eek: Sadly, most of IDW fizzles and farts around, but Cobra/Cobra Files was insanely good. Especially with a cast of almost entirely "silly" characters.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
That's exactly what I was thinking: they found a way to make Chuckles, Crystal Ball, and Croc Master interesting.

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
Not to mention Serpentor and Golobulous.

IDW's Joeverse had tons of potential, but there have been so many soft reboots and massive holes in the continuity (the editor has never done his job) that I'm not sure it can be saved at this point. :(

bigbarada

Jedi Apprentice
Aug 15, 2001
Hillsboro, IL
www.matt-hughes.com
I picked up All-New X-Men #41 and Guardians 3000 #8 today, which are the final issues in both of those series since they were cancelled to pave the way for Secret Wars.

I was initially very excited by the possibilities that Secret Wars presented, but my enthusiasm has died down significantly due to the sheer overload of books being put out in relation to this series. Plus, I'm not overly thrilled with much of what I've seen Marvel announce post-Secret Wars. Now that my two favorite series have wrapped up (for the most part, All-New X-Men doesn't officially end until Uncanny X-Men #600 this fall), I might just wait out Secret Wars and see if I like anything that comes out of it.

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
My bad. I thought that was Vol. 2.
They were in Vol. 3 and WHOA was that an amazing storyline. I read both volumes 3 and 4 this week and I was absolutely glad I picked them. Chuckles, Big Boa, Serpentor, Skullbuster, Range Vipers, Croc Master, Venomus Maximus, Golobulous, Crystal Ball, SCOOP...these were all so silly as concepts (though not when I was a kid) that I never even considered giving them a second thought, let alone any contemplation as to how they could be redeemed, but they all shine in this series. Even the classic "Yo Joe" battle cry makes a memorable appearance.

I've read that the quality of the stories significantly drops after these. Is that accurate?

El Chuxter

Jedi Peacekeeper
Aug 16, 2001
Artemis Club
It drops, but I wouldn't say significantly. The most frustrating thing is that there's several things left opened when Cobra Files finally wraps up, and IDW's bizarre habit of rebooting every year or so means they don't get resolved, and the most recent series ("The Fall of G.I.Joe") picks up five years (IIRC) later with a very different status quo involving one of the most important characters from the series. Frankly, the explanation of how this character went from Point A to Point B sounds like a far more intriguing comic than what we got.

IDW's G.I. Joe comics have been a mixed bag. The Cobra/Cobra Files title was always incredible. Origins started out really strong, but then went from backstories to a second-rate remake of the original Special Missions. The flagship title jumped around tremendously, and the Snake Eyes title was always mediocre when it existed.

Like I said, it's rebooted every year or so. While it's a soft reboot each time, it disregards prior story in a way that causes huge plot holes. I'm not just talking about the occasional "this Destro shouldn't be able to take off his mask" bits, but enormous things that I can't get into without spoiling. Honestly, at this point, I think they should continue the ARAH book, cancel the others for several months, and do something completely new (leaning toward a proper conclusion to Renegades myself).

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Finally got around to SW: Kanan #3 - what was the point of this? We literally went right back to where we were in #1. If this is how Marvel is going to handle SW comics, then it's all over. How long do they really think the audience wants to pingpong back and forth with minimal character growth and story movement?

Luckily, Batman '66 #21 was great, I'm way behind on these. One of my favorites ever, a more somber tone but no less fun, and it looked great too.

Archie Vs. Predator 3 of 4 was fun, lampooning the sillier side of Archie while also killing like crazy.

Transformers Combiner Wars was a total flameout, no thinking, no quality, just a slugfest. And the epilogue was wildly out of character.