So, what COMICS did you buy this week?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
Picked up the trade paperback titled Doctor Aphra: Aphra, which is a dumb subtitle (several of these new Marvel trades subtitle the first volume this way, though). I don't get the draw of the character (actually, I do, but I just don't like the characterization myself)... she's a mix of Indiana Jones, sketches of Lara Croft's anatomy, Kevin from Home Alone, and every teen who's rude/overly self-confident/immature. I guess the sadomasochistic droids are supposed to be funny, but even for SW fantasy, the storylines weren't realistic to me. Certain panels seem to have been drawn purely to draw attention to parts of her body. Should've bought the Poe trade instead...

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I haven't read them yet, but I picked up the trade paperbacks of Captain "I'm in the new movie! " Phasma and Rogue One. I look forward to both.
I read CP and it was interesting, but only okay overall. She escapes the Starkiller trash compactor (although not seen HOW in this series) and follows another FO officer.
I started R1, and there have been a couple not-in-the-film scenes that have been pretty good. Still have about 5 of the 6 issues worth left to read in it.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
It's not THIS week, but in a couple weeks, the mind-boggling 1000th issue of Action Comics is scheduled for Wed. April 18th; no foolin', either!
But now it IS on this week's new releases. Of course, it was a larger size AND a larger price ($7.99), but I liked it. The variant cover I picked up was the 1960s era one (more details to look at, liked how it modeled the covers of that time). The last issue I bought before this one was #600; guess I have a few hundred to catch up on...

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
The Thrawn comic trade paperback was awesome. I recall loving the novel, and the comic was just as good. I hope Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm doesn't over-saturate him like Wolverine, and Deadpool, and Boba Fett, Buzz Lightyear, and...

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
I don't know if I have ever disliked a SW comic before (perhaps the Dr. Aphra one?), but the TLJ trade paperback was pretty horrible: art was bad (I cannot recall ANY comic in recent years that had bad drawings) and the transitions between pages and scenes was choppy and abrupt (removing some parts, adding in a few). Some dialogue was added (occasionally as an improvement, often not), the covers were very good (and some of the alternate covers, too). But it was quite disappointing.

I still have Lando: Double or Nothing waiting; hope it's better.

Tycho

Sith Knight
Aug 16, 2001
San Diego, CA
www.sirstevesguide.com
I am going through the motions of buying the comic books but I can't bring myself to read them. I am now years behind. But I do own them.

I like doctor Aphra from the little I've read. I wanted Poe Dameron to be like Rogue Squadron.

Just nothing has stood up to the Dark Horse days. I used to read those Comics immediately when I bought them. Now I read my own novels over and over again proofreading them. And I read a bunch of nonfiction to research them.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
But now it IS on this week's new releases. Of course, it was a larger size AND a larger price ($7.99), but I liked it. The variant cover I picked up was the 1960s era one (more details to look at, liked how it modeled the covers of that time). The last issue I bought before this one was #600; guess I have a few hundred to catch up on...
So speaking of 1000th issues, I couldn't post about this the week it was released, but Detective Comics #1000 came out and like AC 1K, it was pricey ($9.99 USD!?!). I chose the 1930s cover variant. I have been fairly lost in recent comics Batman lore (but I knew he got hitched to Catwoman), so some of the stuff was new to me. Overall, I now own the comic. It was okay.