So, what did you think?

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
With my second viewing today, I picked up on a few more details:

- saw Chopper at the Yavin 4 base (found out today, unless someone Photoshopped it, that there's a gungan in the background in that same setting :eek: ), and heard "General Syndulla" there, too
- saw The Ghost four different times in the Battle of Scarif
- noticed that the place where Krennic was shot in the shoulder on Iceland-planet (name?) wasn't the same where the blast shot appeared when he stood up
- those tall red-hooded figures on Jedha in the city sure look a lot like Emperor's Royal Guards (storyline coming?), and the planet with the toppled Jedi statue was in fact Jedha
- any significance to the numbers SW0608 (stolen shuttle's designation; sounds like Star Wars 2006-2008 maybe?) or 42227 (a cell block mentioned over the PA when Jyn's in her cell on the labor camp world [name?]... apparently there's no such zip code in USA for it)?
- there was a "in memory of" tribute in the credits, but NOT for Kenney Baker :( (did not recognize the person's name)

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
They weren't that much different than that OC attendee (with squared-off "helmets" ), but there were multiples of them, held staffs, and the eye slit was a darker color and narrower. All like an EPG.

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
Jyn's pep talk to the Alliance feels unearned by her and unbefitting what we've seen of her up to that point.

Galen's flaw that he built into the Death Star required a one in a trillion shot from Luke. Red Leader, Gold Leader, all the best Rebellion pilots were all unable to exploit the flaw so what good is it if it's so extremely difficult?
The first is I think due to reshoots. There's apparently more of her in Saw's rebel cell, she grew up in that arm of the rebellion, I assumed she had more training and more faith in the cause for a while, and Saw kicking her out to save her ultimately drove that deep down inside her psyche for a while.

The second is to hide it from the other scientists who might report it to the Empire, I guess. The same chain reaction quickly destroys the second Death Star as well, just from the inside instead of out, I guess they didn't figure it out between the first and second builds.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
The first is I think due to reshoots. There's apparently more of her in Saw's rebel cell, she grew up in that arm of the rebellion, I assumed she had more training and more faith in the cause for a while, and Saw kicking her out to save her ultimately drove that deep down inside her psyche for a while.

The second is to hide it from the other scientists who might report it to the Empire, I guess. The same chain reaction quickly destroys the second Death Star as well, just from the inside instead of out, I guess they didn't figure it out between the first and second builds.
I can't recall a fairly-prominent character featured in a SW film where the backstory was necessary to understand that individual. Maul, Phasma, Fett, Wedge just weren't developed much on-screen, but were (for the most part) in expanded stories AFTER. Saw is so under-utilized in R1, and over-emphasized in other ways. Oh, and then he dies by standing there... and NOT caring about his breathing mask that was focused on SO MUCH in scenes! [disappointment emoticon here]

"Your overconfidence [in your design] is your weakness." / "Your faith in your friends [to keep finding such weaknesses] is yours."

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
I can't recall a fairly-prominent character featured in a SW film where the backstory was necessary to understand that individual. Maul, Phasma, Fett, Wedge just weren't developed much on-screen, but were (for the most part) in expanded stories AFTER. Saw is so under-utilized in R1, and over-emphasized in other ways. Oh, and then he dies by standing there... and NOT caring about his breathing mask that was focused on SO MUCH in scenes! [disappointment emoticon here]

"Your overconfidence [in your design] is your weakness." / "Your faith in your friends [to keep finding such weaknesses] is yours."
Saw definitely pulled a Pa Kent from Man of Steel in that, "... nah", but at least Saw looked tired and weak. The screenwriter made the mistake of putting Jyn's urgency before all else, if Saw had survived he could have corroborated her story of Galen's hologram, so Saw had to go. Still, he was chewed up, Discount Darth Vader without the drive.

They laid all that groundwork in the film for Jyn tho, just more in throw-away dialog than in deed.

Apr 28, 2013
With my second viewing today, I picked up on a few more details:

- saw Chopper at the Yavin 4 base (found out today, unless someone Photoshopped it, that there's a gungan in the background in that same setting :eek: ), and heard "General Syndulla" there, too
- saw The Ghost four different times in the Battle of Scarif
- noticed that the place where Krennic was shot in the shoulder on Iceland-planet (name?) wasn't the same where the blast shot appeared when he stood up
- those tall red-hooded figures on Jedha in the city sure look a lot like Emperor's Royal Guards (storyline coming?)

In the novel, the red-hooded figures are described as religious pilgrims to Jeddha. That would explains some of the other folks walking through the marketplace scene.

On my third viewing (in 3D), my observations:
* I noticed Chopper.
* I thought I saw a Ghost-like ship in the battle of Scarif. The wife hasn't seen the movie yet so I will see it again in the theatre, and will be on the lookout.
* Bohdi's a little scruffy for an Imperial pilot. Guess there's different standards for TIE pilots and cargo pilots.
* The death troopers' transmissions are scrambled. Could be communicating to each other on an encrypted channel?
* Liked the mix of male and female Rebel commandos and pilots. In the novel, it was hinted that there were female Imps in the mix, too.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Saw it at the historic El Capitan Theater in Hollywood (took pics with Stormtroopers, got to see some costumes and models on display) and had forgotten that the first planet didn't have an on-screen title and wondered if ALL of them were label-less (spoiler: nope) now. I didn't notice any other new details, but the music is linking stronger to specific scenes for me now.

[edit] I may have seen two cameos, both as Imperial officers: Ben Burtt and/or Jeremy Bullock. Anyone else think they saw them (or others)?

Last edited:

JediTricks

Jedi Council Member
Aug 14, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
www.geocities.com
The only planets that get on-screen text are planets to which our protagonists travel. So you have title cards for Jedha, Eadu, Yavin 4, and Scarif; but not Mustafar, Wobani, Lah'mu, or Coruscant.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Rogue One wins no Oscars. :( But that may've been since two presenters for a category were from the film (Jones and Ahmed), and disturbed the Force.

Leia's end-of-ESB smile did close the "In Memoriam" segment. :)

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
So next, next week is the release day (I have seen differing dates), right? On Tue., early morning April 4 (shots rings out, in the Scarif sky), yes?

[edit] I now realize the digital release was earlier; but SW collectibles require tangible results. :stolendatatapesinhand:

Last edited:

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
So next, next week is the release day (I have seen differing dates), right? On Tue., early morning April 4 (shots rings out, in the Scarif sky), yes?

[edit] I now realize the digital release was earlier; but SW collectibles require tangible results. :stolendatatapesinhand:
I see that you, too, are a fan of this upcoming release.