Space and the universe... [interests, sightings and events]

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
The moon was beautiful to see last night, made especially so with the Friday Night Fireworks from Dodger Stadium beneath it.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Where 'text' & 'friend' are nouns
My mom enjoys the "stuff" to see, but not so much the terrain aspects; but since she was out of town last year when I went for the first time, I'm hoping she can go and the weather won't be as hot and dry this time. I left early enough AND made it back in time for a stupid home repair appointment issue.

JimJamBonds

Jedi Commander
May 22, 2005
www.myspace.com
Thanks for digging this thread up BCJ, I've noticed a bright star in the eastern sky just before sunup. I figured it was a planet and according to the interwebs I was correct that it is Venus.

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
My mom enjoys the "stuff" to see, but not so much the terrain aspects; but since she was out of town last year when I went for the first time, I'm hoping she can go and the weather won't be as hot and dry this time. I left early enough AND made it back in time for a stupid home repair appointment issue.
She and I did go on Sunday, and if you were in the building with the "First Photos of Mars" movie around noon and saw a woman being wheeled out on a stretcher with a mustached dude nearby, you likely saw both of us. She just had a combination of heat exposure, low blood sugar, and standing fatigue (she was fine then and better now).

But it was still fun, despite the lines and crowds. Check out some photos below (rover as back massager, inside a clean room, some other machines and devices).

Attachments

Bel-Cam Jos

Jedi Council Member
Aug 16, 2001
Those on parts of the west coast (mainly CA) got to see a light show last night. There had been a few helicopters in formation I had seen/heard this week, often at pre-dawn or pre-dusk times. With those who called me outside to see last night, I wonder it this rocket test was laser-triangulated from mountain tops or while hovering. Weird, and a little unsettling to see "War Games" going on over your head! Maybe. :deniability:

TeeEye7

Jedi Apprentice
Nice pic TE!
I can't claim credit. It's from a friend who posted it on social media. All of SoCal got worked up. Old farts like me remember when Vandenberg AFB sent things aloft routinely in the 60s-70s. It's never been a big deal. We even have weak-minded fools saying it's UFOs or government shenanigans akin to the chemtrail theorists (or should I say knuckleheads).

Maradona

Jedi Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
Echo Park
I had to tell a few of my students today that it wasn't aliens. They were not convinced. :alien:
It's sadly funny how quickly kids (of all ages) leap to that assumption. I had to discuss it with several students, as well. Never waste a teachable moment.